PDA

View Full Version : Worksharp 2000 or 3000 or knife sharpener

Ben Reese
12-30-2010, 9:01 AM
I sharpen alot of knives for friends and family (not professional) I sharpen a few garden tools, machettes, axes etc. and a chisel or two. All by hand. Occasionally a garden tool on the bench grinder.
I was looking at the Worksharp web site and it seems the 2000 may be more in line with what I need with the knife sharpening attachment. Since I presently do not own a lathe (maybe someday if the right one falls in my lap) then I would have the lathe chisels to sharpen.
I see the new self-contained knife sharpener (own motor)that Worksharp is marketing.
I don't know anyone that owns a Worksharp so I'm turning to yall to get your opinions before I purchase.
Thanks and have a SAFE Happy New Year.:confused:

Greg Book
12-30-2010, 10:24 AM
I purchased the Worksharp 2000 last Christmas, but was disappointed with the results for planes and chisels. I sold it and got a WS 3000, which is MUCH better for that type of work.

You'll be able to get a much finer edge with the WS3000, and have a lot more control over the squareness of the edge. I'm not sure how important those factors are for knives, however.

Bill Huber
12-30-2010, 10:56 AM
I have the 2000 and it does a great job but as Greg stated it is not the best for planes and chisels. I use it to sharpen the lawn mower blade, screw drivers and the like and it works very well. I do have the knife adaptor and that does an ok job, but I always finish them up with ceramic rods.

One of the biggest differences in them is the 2000 is higher speed, I think it is running at 1700 and the 3000 only runs at around 500 so you do have to watch out for heat on the 2000.

The 2000 only has a 25 degree setting and will only take a chisel or small plane iron, the opening is only 1 5/8".

Ellen Benkin
12-30-2010, 11:25 AM
I have the Work Sharp 3000 which I love for sharpening plane blades and chisels. I just ordered the knife sharpener because the attachment only works with the model 2000. If the stand alone knife sharpener works as well as the model 3000 I will be very happy.

David Helm
12-30-2010, 11:39 AM
The 3000 now has a knife sharpener attachment which I own. It works well enough (not perfect) to keep my kitchen knives sharp. I don't think I would use it on my very specialized carving tools though. If you do any flat sharpening you'll love the glass plates on the 3000.

David Castor
12-30-2010, 11:52 AM
Ben,

I got the standalone Knife and Tool Sharpener for Christmas. It's basically a miniature belt sander with some guides to hold knifes at the proper angle. This guide can be removed, and the head rotated to allow you to use it on large tools, lawnmower blades, etc. I've only used it for kitchen knives so far - it seems to work great for that. I don't know about carving tools. Not sure how long the abrasives will last or what the costs are for those. It looks to me like they could be shop-made if someone was really motivated.

Van Huskey
12-30-2010, 2:07 PM
The 3000 now has a knife sharpener attachment which I own. It works well enough (not perfect) to keep my kitchen knives sharp. I don't think I would use it on my very specialized carving tools though. If you do any flat sharpening you'll love the glass plates on the 3000.

I have the knife sharpener for the 3000 as well. I agree it is not perfect but it did a solid job on my kitchen knives. If you do chisels and plane blades the WS 3000 is simple and easy and does a great job unless you are a true crazy neander then you are going to have Shaptons and the like and hone in the 30,000 range.

Stephen Cherry
12-30-2010, 2:16 PM
For knives, I would look at a 1x42 belt sander. you can even get leather belts for stropping. Check it out on youtube, there are plenty of videos.

Mike Davis NC
12-30-2010, 2:22 PM
I second the belt sander either 1 x 42 or 1 x 30

Try trugrit.com for super fine sanding belts. They sell up to 2000 grit, I use 320 and 600 for kitchen knives. I think a leather belt for my 1x30 will be added to my arsenal soon.