PDA

View Full Version : Wood Working Convention in Timonium

David Nelson1
12-30-2010, 8:05 AM
Anyone planning on going to the convention Jan 7-9? I'm going on the 8th.

Flyer is here (http://cms.thewoodworkingshows.com/cms/Home/BaltimoreMD/tabid/66/Default.aspx)

John Towns
12-30-2010, 8:34 AM
I am strongly considering it. There is also a computer show in an adjacent building there at the fairgrounds that I would also like to attend. I could 'kill two stones with one bird', so to speak. May see you there...I will be the one wandering around with a "gee, I really want that" look in my eyes.

John

David Nelson1
12-30-2010, 4:54 PM
LOL John. I'll be one with the walking sticking looking to find a seat where ever I am at.

Dan Hintz
12-30-2010, 8:48 PM
A few of us are going... me and Peter E. for sure, possibly Mike C. and Tony dM., as well. I think Saturday is what we're working towards.

Larry Norton
12-30-2010, 9:13 PM
I'll be there on Friday.

David, where are you in Southern Maryland?

David Nelson1
12-30-2010, 9:17 PM
I'm in Owings just outside of North Beach a few blocks.an't make it Friday I'll be @ work

David Nelson1
12-30-2010, 9:18 PM
A few of us are going... me and Peter E. for sure, possibly Mike C. and Tony dM., as well. I think Saturday is what we're working towards.

Cool, maybe we can hook and eat an overpriced hotdog or something.

David Nelson1
12-31-2010, 7:35 AM
To the Mods:

Thanks for moving this Thread. I did wonder if the WW forum was correct!

Dan Hintz
12-31-2010, 7:48 AM
David,

Contact Peter Elliott and see what kind of a schedule he's putting together for us. As I said, I think Saturday is what we were shooting for (some of us have work on Friday), but I don't know any more details.

I'll add that there are a number of good coupons on the site you should print out... $2 off admission, free spouse admission, some freebies, and a number of $off coupons.

David Nelson1
12-31-2010, 8:48 AM
Okidokey !!!!!!

Peter Elliott
12-31-2010, 11:40 AM
Hey Guys.. Mike Cruz and Tony D. are out.. Possible hooking up at the Chantilly show. Was thinking a breakfast meet? Good to get to the show early..but doesn't have to be at the gate opening. Dan works close to the show, so maybe he can suggest a place?

Peter Elliott
01-04-2011, 1:17 PM
Update:

If anyone wants to meet for a quick breakfast - chat/chew prior to the show, we settled on a place/time. It's not a full breakfast but good place to get some "fuel" before the show.

Panera Bread
Dan is hooked on their Cinnamon Nut Muffin. Me, coffee and breakfast sandwiches are good.

Location (http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&client=firefox-a&q=panera+bread+timonium&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=16&iwloc=A) - Just across from Maryland State Fairgrounds (click link for map)
2135 York Road
Timonium, MD 21093

Saturday - January 8th
Meet at 9am

Who is in?
Peter
Dan
??
??

Flyer is here (http://cms.thewoodworkingshows.com/cms/Home/BaltimoreMD/tabid/66/Default.aspx) (with Coupons!!!)
Don't forget to bring your tablesaw/miter (7" to 12") blade for free sharpening!

Btw - there is a computer show going on as well. If your into that stuff (I need to get a cpu case)

Dan Hintz
01-04-2011, 2:03 PM
Dan is hooked on their Cinnamon Nut Muffin.
Ack, female muffins/bagels only, please... I hate nuts in my food. Cinnamon crunch bagels... lots of sugar on top... yumm.

David Nelson1
01-04-2011, 2:09 PM
Does this mean I have to dull one up to get the free sharpening? I always getting hosed on the free stuff LOL. See ya there.

Yuri Sadykov
01-05-2011, 12:04 PM
I am definitely will be there on Saturday. Not sure if I get that early for morning gathering, but try. Always want to meet new people. May be we could plan for lunch time to get together?

David Nelson1
01-05-2011, 12:50 PM
Get outta bed and quit whinning! LOL where in G'burg are you. That was my ole stomping grounds.

Yuri Sadykov
01-05-2011, 1:05 PM
Not whining, I may have something to do in the morning.
Near Kentlands, where Great Seneca and Quince Orchard crossing....

David Nelson1
01-05-2011, 8:19 PM
Just teasing ya LOL I ilved close to Lononderry Apts. Well I hope you make it up.

Call me when you get up there
301-502-4012

Alan Zenreich
01-07-2011, 5:03 PM
My bride and I will be driving in from NJ to attend this show (coupled with a short local family visit).

I primarily hang out in the Turner's forum.... so if any woodturners would like to meet, please send a private message by this evening (we're leaving in the wee hours of the morning) and I'll send our cell phone number.

Hope to see some of you there.

Peter Elliott
01-07-2011, 5:37 PM
Looks like there are about 5 guys meeting up at Panera Bread.. Quick bite, coffee and off to the show we go..

Don't forget to print those coupons and bring a table saw blade. Dan I got yours!!:rolleyes:

Alan, Dan Hintz and I hang out in the turners forum causing all kind of havoc, well Dan does :eek:. I just hang out...

See everyone in the morning..
-Peter

Mike Cruz where are you?? come out of the sticks and meet me at my house at 7:30am.
Les can live with out you one more day - heck we maybe doing her a favor :D - ;) - :cool:

Location (http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&client=firefox-a&q=panera+bread+timonium&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=16&iwloc=A) - Just across from Maryland State Fairgrounds (click link for map)
2135 York Road
Timonium, MD 21093

David Nelson1
01-07-2011, 7:27 PM
See ya there Alan. Are you hit PB with us in the morning.

Alan Zenreich
01-07-2011, 8:34 PM
We're having breakfast with some relatives before going to the show. So Peter and Dan, I'll send my cell phone number to you both, perhaps we can meet during the show. Alan Z.

Eduard Nemirovsky
01-08-2011, 5:53 PM
Anything good there? I planning to come tomorrow, but with 90 miles one-way I am still debating. I am looking for small bandsaw, like 10" Rikon or similar? And some classes.
Guys, please write your opinion about this ww show.
thank you, Ed.

Peter Elliott
01-08-2011, 6:54 PM
It was OK.. not stellar but I do think I saw some Rikon stuff there on sale.

I did notice a bit more turning stuff than in the past.

The junk yard was busy as always, I even picked up some machinist squares.

The classes were fewer but I could be wrong, nothing jumped out at me to sit and watch.
Nor did I see any of them packed. Maybe the hand tool guy in the front but that was about it.

Nothing really "wow'd" me... other than some of the local woodworking club displays of work.

The Festool booth was a 10x10 display, so that tells you something...
Peachtree was massive!

Lee Valley was nice to visit again but nothing too exciting or nothing you haven't seen before in the catalogs.

A few big power tool companies were there, local to Balt. area and prices on the big tools were better than internet pricing.

OH!!! Biggy!!! if you plan on getting a blade sharpen. Make sure you are there by 10:15am.. Because they only do 50 for free!
This could turn into a separate thread but plan on being early and NOT to expect your blade to be done for HOURS later in your in the 30's+
It's free so no room to complain! The gripe is, they do not say this at all, 1st 50 free only and it could be 3+ hours before they get to your blade.
So plan on being all day if you want a blade sharpen for free..
We walked the show 2x, stopped a lot, asked questions and bought stuff and were done in 2 1/2 hours.. at a snails pace.

Would I drive 90miles to the show? well, I did! It was worth it.. picked up a few things and saw a few item first hand.
I just haven't come away from the last few shows saying "wow"..

Don't forget the coupons and $2 off to get in.

We had a short meet and greet at Panera Bread. Just enough time to say hello, talk shop for a few and off to the show.
Pretty much dispersed from there.. Nice to meet fellow SMC people in person.

This was a HUGE Maple Burl from Oregon State.. That is a full size pallet!

john davey
01-08-2011, 8:24 PM
It was nice to meet some folks from here. I lost track of everyone the minute I got in there which I thought was kinda weird. It wasn't that big so I thought I would bump into one of you again. Sorry, but still fun to meet up at the beginning. Also Peter, the saw is in it's new home and is very happy :). Quite a pain taking it apart in the frigid weather.

As far as the show goes I'll give my little review. This was my first woodworking show so bear that in mind. I have been to many computer shows over the years which are all much larger which brings me to my first observation. It was smaller and more personable than I expected. This of course is a good thing. Generally I thought the shows/venders were helpful and friendly. I sat through one show (I guess that is what they are called). Graham Blackburn gave a talk on smoothing planes that I thought was very informative. He basically summed up that if you fit the cap iron to the blade and the mouth properly a smoother will work in any direction without worrying about grain direction. As mentioned before I purchased Peters Delta contractors saw while there which was basically my budget for today. That of course did not stop me from putting my hands on just about every Veritas plane. OOOOH MY GOD. I have oogled the web site for years and do own a Veritas block plane which I love. The entire line just feels umm I don't even have the word but they are nice. There will be a few in my future for sure. Seems like there were several smaller bandsaws set up to cut logs into lumber. I know I watched 2 separate demos on this. Both demos were showing off some sled to do this. I thought it was interesting but also think a couple a screws in some plywood can save a Benjamin there.... Dunno :). Anyway it was a good time. I wish I could have stayed longer but the saw was in the back of the truck waiting for me to wrestle it into the house....john

Dan Hintz
01-09-2011, 7:49 AM
Looks like I should have checked the Creek earlier due to all of the phone numbers posted, but I've been "out of touch" for a day or two. john, don't feel bad... I tried to hand around the entrance with Peter for a few minutes to let people gather, but no one appeared (we had to stop at the blade sharpening place just outside)... we figured everyone went their own way.

Peter Elliott
01-09-2011, 1:14 PM
Glad to hear John you got the saw down into the basement. Your going to really like that fence and plenty of power for normal boards.

I was good to meet everyone in the beginning. But like a kid at Disney Land, when you get to the gate and see the buzz, the mind settle into wood working world..

John, I told you would enjoy Veritas. I was wrong that Lie Nelson was there. I thought so but then realized they do their own tour in stores, etc. I let you know when they are in our area.. wait to you feel those. Plus they have a few HIGH end makers, like a $3k hand plane I tried last year.... WoW!

John makes a good point about the show being personal. It's good to chat one on one with the vendors and I find that the Jan show is more upbeat then the show in March (in VA). Sometimes I over look that aspect of a smaller woodworker show.

and I miss the Sham-Wow booth this year.. not to be seen... and I actually had a use for it this year!

David Nelson1
01-09-2011, 6:52 PM
Hey guys

Great meeting everyone yesterday. That was my first wood show and I had mixed emotions but all in all it seemed good. I could have spent quite a good bit yesterday but nothing really lept out @ me cept the LN62 LA plane I had to get outta that area LOL way to slippery a slope. I link the photos I took. I didn't get to camera happy.

On the left going front to back is myself, Peter Elliot, Dan Hintz, John Davey, and last but not least Yuri SadyKov. Of course I cant forget the LOML and Tommy Mac. She gotta kick outta that.