PDA

View Full Version : cutting slot for barbed hinges on small boxes

tom coleman
12-30-2010, 5:28 AM
Can one of you box making gurus tell me how you cut slots for barbed hinges on small boxes? Doug Stowe in his book suggets a Bosch trim saw blade which is used on router table but I cannot locate same

thanks

Bob Reda
12-30-2010, 6:27 AM
Where you got the hinges (and other places for that matter) sell a saw tooth circular cutting tool. There are two thicknesses. I put mine in the router but others have used the drill press.

Bob

Joe Leigh
12-30-2010, 6:57 AM
I'd advise against the router due to the high speed. The blade and arbor sold at Woodcraft show a max speed of 3000rpm. Woodcraft also has a link to the instructions for the use of the blade including plans for a sled to be used on your drill press table.

glenn bradley
12-30-2010, 8:22 AM
I would use the blades made for (http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=18652&filter=barb%20hinge)this as per the intructions. Use your drill press. If you don't want to go the $80 for an arbor/blade combination I would use a different type of hinge. That being said I would love to hear from someone who has come up with a cool alternative to the job specific blade that maintains the ease of installation these hinges provide.

Tony Bilello
12-30-2010, 8:53 AM
I had made about 2 thousand gift boxes about 25 years ago. I dont remember where I bought the hinges but I do remember that they also sold the slot cutter blades for a router. There were 2 blades. One was thin for softer woods like mahogany and the other was a hair thicker for harder woods loke oak. The tops and box cases were all done on the router table. I set up 'stops' and the job went remarkably fast.

Jim Heffner
12-30-2010, 3:31 PM
You might want to try a small diameter cutting blade for a Dremel tool...you would be surprized
at what you can do with a Dremel tool.