PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have the Shop Fox

Steve Clardy
04-10-2003, 8:15 PM
Classic fence with 7' rails and legs?
Getting ready to buy something in this line. My two grizzly fences are LEAVING soon. Cannot put up with them anymore. Need the goods and bads on this Shop fox fence. Been doing some surfing and found a good price on one. Steve:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Bob Lasley
04-10-2003, 10:25 PM
Steve,

I bought the Shop Fox cabinet saw last fall and it comes with the Classic fence. So far I love it. I also purchased the 7' rails but have not installed them yet. Up to now the short rails have done everything I needed to do. The fence is straight and true and has held its accuracy.

Bob

Steve Clardy
04-11-2003, 9:58 AM
Originally posted by Bob Lasley
Steve,

The fence is straight and true and has held its accuracy.

Bob

Thats what I am looking for. Straight and true. Found a good price on one. Got a quote of $279.00 including shipping.
Thanks Bob, Steve

Ed Falis
04-11-2003, 10:19 AM
Steve,

Since you've decided to get rid of the OEM fence, things are sort of wide open for you, in addition to the Shop Fox Classic (which people seem to say good things about). On the low-priced side, you might want to look into the Mulecab AccuSquare that has T-Track on its three exposed faces http://www.mulecab.com/products.asp?mnu_Products=1. Lots of people who've bought this seem to have good things to say about it.

My cabinet saw came with a monster Bies clone that I like just fine - pretty much like a Jet Xacta fence. You might want to check with the seller (www.wilkemachinery.com) to see what they want for it purchased separately.

Then there's the Vega that owners also seem to really like, the HTC fence LeeValley is selling (www.leevalley.com), the Biesemeyer and Unifence, and the Incra and Jointech fences. I think that's more or less in increasing order of price. They're all good fences, with different features. Enjoy the shopping trip!

- Ed

Steve Clardy
04-11-2003, 10:25 AM
That MuleCab may be the one I saw at the show in KC couple years back. Looked like a great fence, easy install. Will go to that link and see if thats it.
Would really like to have the Incra with all the goodies, but cannot justify the money on it.
Thanks, Steve

Ken Wright
04-11-2003, 10:27 AM
Steve .....

Bought the left tilt Shop Fox Cabinet Saw last summer and went the difference for the 7" rails. I have nothing but good things to say about it. Almost a year later its still square on with no adjustments needed to this point.

Wayne Johnson
04-11-2003, 11:42 AM
I too bought the shop fox cabinet saw with the 7' rails and shop fox classic fence some while back. Great saw. Great fence.

Wayne

Ron Taylor
04-21-2003, 8:54 AM
Pardon the late reply, but I'm trying to catch up on everything that has happened since I made my turn to the left coast.

Steve, my Griz 1023z came with the Shop Fox Classic w/short rails. I love the fence and will invest in the 7' rails.

The fence checks out to within .001" parallel to the miter slot with my dial indicator. And the accuracy remains even when the fence is unlocked. The ball bearing action is supperb... couldn't ask for smoother slides. It removes and remounts effortlessly.

I highly recommend the fence and since I have the room, will certainly purchase the long rails.

Steve Clardy
04-21-2003, 9:14 AM
Heres a short update on my new fence.
Thats for all the good reviews on the shop fox fence.
But I ended up buying the mulecab accusquare fence.
Thats the one I really wanted but had lost my info.
If it hadn't been for Ed Falis posting some links I wouldn't have found it. Thanks Ed.:D
Its just about done. All thats left is finishing up the extension table and legs. Very nice fence. It has the extruded grooves for mounting all the extras on it. Very heavy aluminium. I also purchased the extra add-on fence for a router. Now to get a router plate mounted in the ext. table.
Will update with finished pics.
Steve

Bartee Lamar
04-21-2003, 11:44 AM
Please Give us an update when you have had some experience with it. I have looked at that fence several times. I like the ttracks on three sides.

Bob Nazro
04-21-2003, 2:49 PM
Steve,
I had the Shop Fox Fence with the 7' rails and just upgraded to the Shop Fox Classic.
http://www.woodworking.org/imagepost/200304/p111finishtable6.jpg

I really like it. Easy to setup and adjust. I built a new extension table and installed the legs to the table. The new legs are longer that the ones that came with my ShopFox standard 7" fence.http://www.woodworking.org/imagepost/200304/p111finishtable3.jpg