PDA

View Full Version : Summit going south

Jeff Saltzman
12-30-2010, 2:23 AM
After engraving for a few hours today, the power of my Summit suddenly plummeted. :(

One run was great, then the next was terrible. It barely marks in raster mode now after a few simple tests, and it's dropping out like crazy. I'm trying to engrave my own wedding invitations too-- not a good time for the machine to go down!

I've been cleaning the optics regularly and cleaning and lubing the bearings, it sure seems like tube failure given what I've read in the forums-- so helpful. I'll talk to Epilog tomorrow morning but am fearing the worst.

Has anybody replaced a tube on a Summit in recent years? Will newer Synrad lasers work in it, or will they service such an old (1994) tube?

Here are scans of part of the engraving from one run and then the next, both at 60% speed, 40% power.

Any suggestions (like what brand of tissues and/or beer to cry in) would be great!

Mike Null
12-30-2010, 6:42 AM
Jeff

This is a longshot but have you checked your focus? Sometimes wood is warped or not in the same plane as the previous piece.

Chris DeGerolamo
12-30-2010, 10:22 AM
I prefer Newcastle...

Probably an obvious answer, but does the same issue happen while vectoring?

Jeff Belany
12-30-2010, 11:01 AM
Maybe another obvious question but have you tried increasing the power or changing the speed? Does the image improve? Might get you by for a little while anyway. You may have a little life left.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

Robert Walters
12-30-2010, 12:10 PM
ULS lets customers borrow a laser power meter for free - Just pay return shipping.
Maybe Epilog does too and you can measure the laser's power level to confirm.

Jeff Saltzman
12-30-2010, 12:39 PM
Thanks for the replies! I have a few (non-laser) things to do before talking to Epilog...

Mike, I'm a fanatic about focus, usually at least double check, even between runs.

Chris, I have the same problem when vectoring. I previously cut through 1/8" plywood in two passes at ~35% speed, 100% power, but it took five passes at 20% speed, 100% power, and then it wasn't even-- lots of spots.

Jeff, I've tried increasing power and decreasing speed and it actually is making less of a mark when in raster mode; it seems to be getting worse :(

Thanks again for the replies, more news after talking to Epilog...

UPDATE: Dang, Epilog techs are out until January 3...:o

Ernest Martin
01-06-2011, 5:44 PM
I know this post has been here for a little bit already but I just thought I would let you know I also have an Epilog Summit. I just got the recharged tube back today. I went with Photovac laser as Synrad doesn't repair these anymore

greg lindsey
01-06-2011, 5:59 PM
Ernest, what did that recharge cost you, I have two summits and was thinking about possible recharges, these summits as you know, dont have all the "bells and whistles" but are rugged and are dependable as hell.

Jeff Saltzman
01-07-2011, 1:28 AM
That's great Ernest! I won't be able to spend time working on it for a few weeks, great to know the tube can be recharged/repaired :)