PDA

View Full Version : Last night's accomplishment

Keel McDonald
01-07-2005, 7:52 AM
I've been meaning to try my hand at turning a duck call for some time now. With a little pressure from a duck-hunting friend, I was able to complete my first one last night. It is made from cocobolo. The wood turned very nice, but seemed oily right up until I finished it. Now it is as smooth as a baby's butt. I used the thick CA glue for the brass ring. It was fun to turn. I think I'll turn some more. I've already got orders from co-workers and friends for about a half dozen more. Better get turning!

Dick Parr
01-07-2005, 8:24 AM
Very nice Keel, duck calls are fun to make and cocobolo is the nicest to turn and finish. :) I like the ring you added, did you make it yourself? Keep turning them, there are so many different styles to make.

Again, very nice.

Kurt Aebi
01-07-2005, 8:26 AM
Very Nice, Indeed.

I've ordered a couple of call kits (1) Duck and (1) Deer. Can't wait to see how they turn out.

Keel McDonald
01-07-2005, 8:35 AM
Dick,

No, I didn't make the ring. I ordered it from http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com. I think it was only $3-4. I hesitated to put it on the call after I made it, but now I'm glad I did. I think it adds to the look.

Jerry Clark
01-07-2005, 8:57 AM
Great looking duck call-- Thanks for the picture and link- Going to order a kit-- :) My grandson would love one from Grandpa!

Anthony Penchetta
01-07-2005, 9:24 AM
Keel, very sharp looking call. Cocobola is a favorite. that is on my list of things to make as well, but never get around to it. Great job on the orders as well.:)

Anthony

Joe Melton
01-07-2005, 10:20 AM
The brass ring would be a nice place to have the buyer's name engraved. Lots of jewelry or plaque shops can do that quite reasonably. Maybe they could engrave a flying duck, too.
Nice work.
Joe