PDA

View Full Version : Box-o-Wood

Lee Koepke
12-29-2010, 10:10 PM
Today I got a flat rate box from our own Jeff Nicol with some pretty awesome pen / stopper blanks. Our mailman also delivered a box from woodturningz with some pen and bottlestopper kits. Well, even though I had other tasks on the agenda, I carved out some time to turn a pen and bottle stopper from Jeffs contribution.

While I was at it, I finished some other pens.

1. spalted/ambrosia maple stopper (Jeff)
2. hackberry slimline pen (Jeff)
3. Palletwood (I am not sure what it really is) Pencil
4. Spalted Oak from my yard stash

All finished with Mylands High Build Friction Finish (something new for me)

Thanks for looking, and let me know how I am doing !!!

David E Keller
12-29-2010, 10:13 PM
Nice work, Lee. I'm not familiar with the finish you used, but it looks pretty good in the photos. The pallet wood is really rich looking... I wonder if it's beefwood?(I think that's an Aussie wood that's used in pallets sometimes).

John Keeton
12-29-2010, 10:16 PM
Lee, I would say you are doing fine!! Some nice looking wood - even the pallet wood.

Lee Koepke
12-29-2010, 10:25 PM
Heres a closer look at the Pallet wood. It does look pretty good, it was a bit "chippy" ... you can see where I snagged a piece cleaning up the barrel ...

Jeff Fagen
12-29-2010, 11:13 PM
I got some of that spalted maple from Jeff and man does it POP.I sold all of those right away.
That pallet wood looks like mahagany.

Jim Burr
12-30-2010, 10:47 AM
I got some of that spalted maple from Jeff and man does it POP.I sold all of those right away.
That pallet wood looks like mahagany.

Usually when the Japanese ship a crated item, glass for instance, the crating material is usually Philippine Mahogany or white oak. DAHIKT ;);)

Chip Sutherland
12-30-2010, 11:18 AM
Philippine Mahogany is also called luaun/luan....right? Stuff isn't pretty by furniture makers but it is very figured when turned. I've also found walnut and cherry in pallets and bracing wood.

Bernie Weishapl
12-30-2010, 11:28 AM
Really nice looking stopper and pens. That spalted wood sure does stand out.

James Combs
12-30-2010, 12:21 PM
Some really nice looking work Lee. BTW when is a photo tent in your plans??:D:D Hard to see details on the pens with the current background.

Tim Thiebaut
12-30-2010, 2:51 PM
I didnt realize the Jeff nicols sold wood as well or I would have purchased some when I made the order for my tool rests, may have to check this out, congrats on the box-o-wood!

Steve Schlumpf
12-30-2010, 3:54 PM
Lee - Congrats on getting all that wood from Jeff! He does have some amazing wood!

Nice work on everything! I like the rich color of your pallet wood pen! Have to agree on it possibly being Mahogany.

Clint Baxter
12-30-2010, 7:16 PM
That pallet wood looks similar to a piece of pallet wood I got myself. Quite dense and was prone to chip out. Stunk something fierce when I turned/cut it as well. Did yours have any odor? Still wondering what my pallet wood might be.

Nice job on all the items.

Clint

Lee Koepke
12-30-2010, 8:04 PM
Some really nice looking work Lee. BTW when is a photo tent in your plans??:D:D Hard to see details on the pens with the current background.

real soon! I have been trying to clean out my adjacent 'junk' area because I can see the perfect photo tent box, but cant get to it!!! My recliner does reflect the flash a bit and for smaller items, it is hard to get a good shot.

Thanks everyone for the comments, I have a matching Palletwood Pen on the agenda ... a nice set for ME at the office!!

Lee Koepke
12-30-2010, 8:06 PM
That pallet wood looks similar to a piece of pallet wood I got myself. Quite dense and was prone to chip out. Stunk something fierce when I turned/cut it as well. Did yours have any odor? Still wondering what my pallet wood might be.

Nice job on all the items.

Clint yup, its pretty dense and smells pretty rough. I attribute some of that to its world travels, but it creates a real fine powdery dust. Actually blew out the side of a blank drilling for the barrel too.