PDA

View Full Version : Advise needed for a Belt/Disc sander

Donny Lawson
12-29-2010, 9:26 PM
I lost my Belt/Disc sander in my fire in Sept. and I'm looking for a new one. I would like to look for a high end one but my budget is not letting me do that. I've looked at used ones but so far I cannot find one. I'm looking at a 6x48 belt with a 9 or 10" disc. I found a Grizzly G1014Z for 345.00 plus shipping. Anyone use one of these?,or does anyone have some other one to consider?
Donny

Donny Lawson
01-05-2011, 6:50 AM
I came upon a great deal on a belt/disc sander. I was looking at sears last weekend and found a 6x48belt with a 9"disc sander on sale for $209.00. The bad news was it was on backorder and would take about a month or so to get one in. I decided to wait. I looked on CL and found some about 45min. from me who had a used one. I went to look at it and it was the exact same one I was looking at at sears. He said it was only used a couple of times and it looked new to me. Hardly no signs of use at all. He was getting out of woodworking because of his age and health. I bought the sander for $65.00 and was well pleased. I like deals like this.
Donny

Brian Kent
01-05-2011, 10:38 AM
Donny, I have that exact Grizzly sander. I have had it for 4 years. I would get the same one again - no problem.

1. I change the belt often as I move through sanding jobs on boxes and small parts. It has a nice quick release.
2. I keep the front guard off and use the end for curves surfaces.
3. The dust collection is good with a shop vac, and very good, but cumbersome, with a dust collector.
4. Solid feel. I do not find myself wishing for anything beefier.
5. There are sanding belts out there much better than those sold by Grizzly (at least better than those sold 4 years ago).
6. With coarser grit it is one of my primary shaping tools.

Matt Day
01-05-2011, 10:58 AM
I have the same Grizzly sander and like it, but I barely use it. It comes in handy sometimes, but I think I'd prefer an edge sander next time. If you were closer I'd sell you mine!