PDA

View Full Version : Cable TV

Dave Lehnert
12-29-2010, 7:12 PM
Is it just me or does it seem like cable TV is way too expensive. What are you paying a month?

Don Alexander
12-29-2010, 7:23 PM
its not just you

Mike Cozad
12-29-2010, 7:41 PM
Sadly, many of the best shows on the air are on cable rather than broadcast TV. I have been toying getting rid of the monthly expense and buying an HD antenna, but I do enjoy and would miss the good shows cable has to offer....

Dave Lehnert
12-29-2010, 7:57 PM
Just got off the horn with my service. Some how over the years I ended up with "Digital service" at $82 a month but can get standard service (100% of the channels I watch now) for $58 :mad:

Mark Bolton
12-29-2010, 8:23 PM
We are going through this now but with satellite. Paying 80+ a month but thats with HD and the middle package, DVR. As of late we are so swamped with work we are just not watching enough to make it worth it, hence my "hd antenna" post. When this months payment is done, we are done.

What ticks me off most about all these companies is the bait and switch and fine print. When we originally signed up the package looked like it was locked pricing for two years, within months this was added, this expired, blah blah blah.... they are all scammers and I am choosing not to line the pockets of scammers any longer. My 10$ homemade antenna will suit me just fine.

Mark

Don Jarvie
12-29-2010, 8:46 PM
For those with Comcast the key is to call and ask what the specials are. We get the Cable, Internet and Phone with DVR and all the stations for 150 or so. The price without the package is 200.

Only thing is you have to call every year to get the new package.

Bryan Morgan
12-30-2010, 1:29 PM
Is it just me or does it seem like cable TV is way too expensive. What are you paying a month? Check out the thread about Netflix... you can get a device like a WDTV or Roku or whatever and wind up with more than what you have with cable or satellite for a lot less money. It helps to have decent internet bandwidth though...

Bryan Morgan
12-30-2010, 1:44 PM
Just got off the horn with my service. Some how over the years I ended up with "Digital service" at $82 a month but can get standard service (100% of the channels I watch now) for $58 :mad: The phone company used to switch my phone services around all the time without asking me, and switching the price along with it. They'd tack on some long distance junk on there (which I NEVER use) and charge me 10 or 15 dollar "minimum usage" fees. So I'd get charged a connection fee for the privilege of being able to use long distance, and then another fee for not actually using it. I got sick of calling them and having them remove all long distance (and then listening to them try to scare me "but sir, without it your long distance charges will be $.50 a minute!" to which I'd respond "oh yeah? look on your log there and tell me the last time I ever made a long distance call" "uh, well... oh....") so I just dropped all land lines and stick with cell phones. So far they haven't tacked on anything I didn't ask for. I'm tired of big companies and all their little scams and schemes. All I ask for in this lifetime is honesty. Charge what you want, its your company, but be honest about it. And in other areas of life too.... every other person is a scammer or liar. Too much to ask?

Myk Rian
12-30-2010, 1:52 PM
The cell phones are our LD provider now. I'm trying to talk my Wife into dropping the phone line completely.
Most of the calls we get on the land-line are sales calls, even though the number is on the Do Not Call list. That's another scam perpetrated by the politicians.

Joe Pelonio
12-30-2010, 4:54 PM
Ours is about $150 for digital cable (no HBO et al), phone, internet, 2 DVRs and two converters. So far it's been pretty reliable and is a lot less than when we had just the cable and paid other companies for phone and internet. Still too high though and the service when a box dies is terrible. 2 hours in line at the store, or pay $25 for them to come out.

Curt Harms
12-31-2010, 9:57 AM
Ours is about $150 for digital cable (no HBO et al), phone, internet, 2 DVRs and two converters. So far it's been pretty reliable and is a lot less than when we had just the cable and paid other companies for phone and internet. Still too high though and the service when a box dies is terrible. 2 hours in line at the store, or pay $25 for them to come out.

We're paying a bit less for the same thing in Verizon FiOS. We had to go with a mid-level package to get the channels we wanted. Except for local news & football, ABC, CBS & NBC could go dark tomorrow and I'd never know it. A&E and Discovery programming 90% of the time.