PDA

View Full Version : I could use some advice/help please

Tim Thiebaut
12-29-2010, 6:42 PM
I started a small lidded box from apple the other day, and this morning I started one out of a piece of maple I have been anxious to try, here is my problem. On both pieces there just isnt enough stock left over to make a jam chuck, so that I can turn the piece around and finish the bottom of the piece, I am having to buy my wood from the store as I have no access to mother natures supply, the store bought pieces dont leave a lot of room for excess. What are my options here, with not enough stock left for a jam chuck do I have to make one out of another piece of wood or....is there another simplier way to do this that I am just not familiar with yet?

Any advice or help would be truly appreciated! Thanks, Tim

Roger Chandler
12-29-2010, 7:19 PM
Tim,

If you are going to make a number of these over time, then get you a piece of wood, and turn a jam chuck that will fit the size you need. If you get a piece long enough, you could make 2 or 3 for different size boxes.

Don Alexander
12-29-2010, 7:26 PM
they don't have trees in Colorado? you can make jamb chucks out of any scrap of wood thats appropriate size if you have no scraps around a 2x4 or 2x6 would be a cheap way to get alot of jamb chuck material

Wally Wenzel
12-29-2010, 7:26 PM
What Roger said, buy a couple cheap 2x4's glue a couple pieces together and make a jam chuck, you won't have more than a couple dollars invested and will have plenty left over for another project'
Wally

Bernie Weishapl
12-29-2010, 7:29 PM
I did what Wally suggested. I got a 2 x 4 scrap that the lumber yard sold me (3 1/2' long). I glued up several pieces and turned jam chucks of different sizes. Cheap and easy.

Tim Thiebaut
12-29-2010, 8:33 PM
Ok thanks guys I will do that, makes since so that you are not having to make one for every single piece you turn.

@ Don - Yup tons, but living in the Denver metro area dosnt leave a lot of access to trees on private land ya know, besides there is another consideration as well.

David E Keller
12-29-2010, 10:16 PM
I agree with the others about jam chucks, but I've used my scroll chuck in expansion mode inside both parts of a box... It works OK, but you may want to add some padding to keep the jaws from denting the wood... A rubber band or a few wraps of tape will work for padding purposes.

Harry Robinette
12-30-2010, 12:21 AM
I second David's thought ,use electrical tape it will stretch with the opening and closing of the chuck.
Harry

Tim Thiebaut
12-30-2010, 12:58 AM
You know I dont know why I didnt think about that, I went and tried it and your right, it works just fine expanding the jaws outward to grab the inside rim of the box. Thanks everyone!