PDA

View Full Version : Identify an old chisel set - Santo

Bruce Seidner
12-29-2010, 5:28 PM
Out of curiosity has anyone heard or known of a chisel branded as Santo?

They seem well made and are of the socket handle persuasion.

I wondered where they were manufactured and their age. Several have replacement handles and the original Santo handles appear to have Santo in the center and Perfect Products around the circle of the decal.

Johnny Kleso
12-29-2010, 7:33 PM
Do you have a zoomed out shot?
I want to say I think they are Germany

There is a Set that sold in eBay and seller says they are Made in Japan

Tom Vanzant
12-29-2010, 8:10 PM
Similar questions... a 6 piece chisel set, 1/4"-1" (+ metric) made by Mifer Tools, Spain. Etching indicates CR VA, assume chrome vanadium steel. Ferrules at the socket and at the butt end, wood appears to be boxwood or Spanish equivalent. I have had the set for over forty years but have used it very little. Takes a good edge and holds it well... no roll-over or chipping, but definitely not 60RC.

Bruce Seidner
12-29-2010, 8:18 PM
Yes, I got them on Ebay and the seller went to a lot of trouble to hone and sharpen them. They are in pretty good shape, as good or better than I keep most of my tools.

Santos is a type of South American wood but the chisels themselves are stamped with Santos and they are without doubt metal. I can't find anything Googling about and thought that someone might recognize the brand. But, yes, he believes that they were made in Japan. There is nothing especially "Japanese" about them, ie the traditional hollow on the back, etc. They are conventional bevel bench chisels and we will see how well they perform over time.

My guess is that they are not that old, maybe 1960's at the earliest. It is unlikely that Frederick T. Stanley made a side trip to Japan and made them for some Shogun. It would be fun to find out more about them. Even if they are a budget Montgomery Ward brand from the 70's, they still work and I have been considering growing out the sideburns and wearing leisure suits in the shop to liven up the place.

Ray Sheley
12-30-2010, 4:40 PM
I'm afraid that I am just gong to add more mystery. I have a SANTO hand drill. It has a cast frame like a M-F #2 except that the outer rim is vaguely shaped like an elongated guitar. It is double geared, has a hubcap (Fully enclosed) main gear, handles, and a 3-jaw 1/4" chuck, all similar to a M-F70. The Decal is pretty beat. I can make out the word PERFECTO across the top, and only the letter P with space for 6-7 letters below SANTO. No. 2412 is stamped into the main gear casting.

A bit of lube and it spun freely, not badly made at all.

Bruce Seidner
12-30-2010, 8:35 PM
So, was the hand drill left on your doorstep as a baby with a note attached or was it purchased from a wandering band of Gypsies who admitted shoplifting it from a pawn shop in Salamanca?

Ray Sheley
12-30-2010, 8:51 PM
Should have looked at your photo's earlier, the decal on my drill is exactly the same as what you show on your chisels.
Wasn't sure he was a gypsy, but could be, it was a flea market find.