PDA

View Full Version : Which LV Skew block plane? RH or LH?

Tony Shea
12-29-2010, 5:25 PM
I am looking into getting a skew block plane right off and just can't decide which hand I should get. I'm right handed not that it matters. For some reason the left hand version seems like it might be more practical for trimming tenon cheeks, small rabbets on dovetails, and other small rabbeting tasks. Am I thinking about this the wrong way? I can't afford to buy both and will probably eventually buy a full size rabbeting plane. The decision is driving me nuts and is kind of the reason I haven't pulled the trigger but would like to while free shipping.

Jim Koepke
12-29-2010, 11:02 PM
I am looking into getting a skew block plane right off and just can't decide which hand I should get. I'm right handed not that it matters. For some reason the left hand version seems like it might be more practical for trimming tenon cheeks, small rabbets on dovetails, and other small rabbeting tasks. Am I thinking about this the wrong way? I can't afford to buy both and will probably eventually buy a full size rabbeting plane. The decision is driving me nuts and is kind of the reason I haven't pulled the trigger but would like to while free shipping.

If you will be planing right handed along the front of your bench, then the RH plane may be the one.

If you like to use the tail end of your bench to do this work and it is against a wall, then the LH plane may make more sense.

The handedness of this type of plane also has to do with preventing blow out at the far edge. If the outside edge leads at the end of the cut, it is more likely to split the wood at the edge than if the inside edge leads at the end.

My suggestion would be no matter which one you purchase, you will likely want the longer rods sooner or later.

jtk

Bob Jones
12-30-2010, 2:01 AM
I bought the left handed version since I am a lefty. I think I could comfortably use either one.

I love the plane, but I sometimes wish I would have stepped up and bought the full rabbet plane first. I think it is easier to do small work with a larger tool than vise versa. Of course, I would love to have the right and left of both planes, but that will have to wait for more disposable income. :)

Chris Vandiver
12-30-2010, 2:13 AM
If you are right handed and the primary use is for trimming tenons, then you want the left hand version. If you're primarily using it to make rabbets and you're right handed, then in most cases(grain direction) you will want a right hand version. With skew planes, it's best to have both versions.

Tony Shea
12-30-2010, 6:36 PM
This might be a stupid question but would you think it might be possible to pull off the 140 trick on dovetails with the full size rabbet plane? Even when using say 4" wide stock for drawers. I have been throwing the idea around of getting the full size version in which case I would def buy the right hand version.

Jim R Edwards
12-30-2010, 6:43 PM
Have you thought about a Lie Nielsen 60 1/2R? It will do all the tasks mentioned and you only have to buy one.

Steve Stack
12-31-2010, 9:59 AM
Tony, Chris Schwarz reccomends the LV skew rabbet for the 140 trick in Handplane Essentials in the chapter on Handplanes and Dovetails. He states the depth stop actually makes this easier and more accurate. Who am I to argue,
Steve

Prashun Patel
12-31-2010, 12:16 PM
Question to the group: How is a rabbet plane (skew or otherwise) better than a shoulder plane? Seems like a shoulder plane can get into tighter spots. I know the rabbet doubles as a regular block plane, but assuming one already has a block, what's the advantage of the rabbeting planes?

Jim Koepke
12-31-2010, 3:46 PM
Question to the group: How is a rabbet plane (skew or otherwise) better than a shoulder plane? Seems like a shoulder plane can get into tighter spots. I know the rabbet doubles as a regular block plane, but assuming one already has a block, what's the advantage of the rabbeting planes?

A shoulder plane is a type of rabbet plane. That is usually my choice when trimming the end of the tail board.

The LV Skew block planes have the advantage of a fence and depth stops to save a little set up time.

A shoulder plane is usually a smaller size than most of the "rabbet" planes.

Maybe the easiest way to say it is that they are all different styles or designs of the same thing.

jtk