PDA

View Full Version : Plans or info for Homemade Lathe with Copier?

Jose Luis
12-29-2010, 2:43 PM
Hi guys, i want to know if someone have some link or website (or video), that teach me how made an homemade Lathe (with the copier addon), i already made an KMG clone of band sander, but now i want to add to my workshop some tool to lathe woods. i just need small size maximun 70-100cm long.

btw, is possible to get the same acurracy if made one myself vs buy from some store?

Thanks in advance,

russell lusthaus
12-29-2010, 3:42 PM
Hi Jose

I recently completed a home built treadle lathe - there is a current post on it and I would be happy to answer any addl questions. I dont see why you would not be able to put a motor / belt assembly in place of the treadle assembly if you wanted a lathe with a tail.

I find mine to be accurate enough for me. I would have to assume that any decent quality tailed lathe would be more accurate, although that is just a guess, as I dont have one and have not worked on one in over 25 years.

Jerry Marcantel
12-29-2010, 4:57 PM
Jose, if you're going to build your own, if you live in a town with a Goodwill store, get on the bidding list and look for treadmills. That would be your best bet for the power. I've gotten 3 so far at 7 dollars each, and they all work. You need to be careful as to which one you're getting, as some of the old ones have a "Reeves drive" type of variable speed. Pro Form 740CS has the infinate variable speed with a 2.75 horse motor and Image 10.6QI has a 2 hp motor. ........... Jerry (in Tucson)

Jose Luis
12-29-2010, 7:56 PM
Jose, if you're going to build your own, if you live in a town with a Goodwill store, get on the bidding list and look for treadmills. That would be your best bet for the power. I've gotten 3 so far at 7 dollars each, and they all work. You need to be careful as to which one you're getting, as some of the old ones have a "Reeves drive" type of variable speed. Pro Form 740CS has the infinate variable speed with a 2.75 horse motor and Image 10.6QI has a 2 hp motor. ........... Jerry (in Tucson)

Hi, i dont have any Goodwill store, im in Argentica, btw, i will use an 2HP motor, the one that im using with my belt sand, i can regulate de speed with an electronic controller.

Mark Eisen
12-30-2010, 3:13 AM

What is the disadvantage of the Reeves drive type of variable speed?

Jerry Marcantel
12-31-2010, 8:46 PM
Mark, I don't have any personal experience, but others here on SMC say that it's a high maintenance system....... Jerry (in Tucson)