PDA

View Full Version : G0698 steady rest

Roger Chandler
12-29-2010, 12:26 PM
After not having the requisite hardware parts to finish this steady rest yesterday, I did get them today, and here is the almost completed assembly..........

This should help me be ready for when my Monster Articulated Hollowing system arrives. A steady rest is not hard to build, so if any of you are contemplating it, then go for it. I still may add a little extra wood to the base for more rigidity, but it is pretty solid as is.

Jim Burr
12-29-2010, 1:07 PM
Outstanding Roger!! Hope to see bunches of really tall HF's in the future!

Jon Prouty
12-29-2010, 1:20 PM
Great job! Looking forward to seeing some pics with the Monster on there too!

Jon

bob svoboda
12-29-2010, 1:57 PM
Looks like a great, solid assembly. Let us know how it does when you put it in action.

Roger Chandler
12-29-2010, 3:49 PM
I wanted to take a moment to say thank you to all of the "Creekers" that responded with helpful posts & pics of steady rests back a couple of weeks ago. As you can see, it was indeed helpful. In this turning game, it is nice to know that there are willing hearts that make it where every time you want to do something, that it is not required to re-invent the wheel all over again by yourself.

Thanks to all who helped! :)

Don Alexander
12-29-2010, 4:04 PM
LOOKING GOOD

i started one of these awhile back , got waylaid and haven't finished it yet but i think you have inspired me to ' get er done' :D

Roger Chandler
12-29-2010, 7:06 PM
LOOKING GOOD

i started one of these awhile back , got waylaid and haven't finished it yet but i think you have inspired me to ' get er done' :D

Don,

Do you have the G0698 Grizzly lathe? I had to get some motivation to get mine started, and that was the Monster Hollowing rig that was part of my Christmas. Nothing like gettin' 'er done! ;):D

Thom Sturgill
12-29-2010, 7:12 PM
Looks real good Roger. The only thing I might suggest, and I don't know if it is worth doing, is to cut, drill and glue a block to the bottom that would go between the ways to keep the rest square to the ways.

Roger Chandler
12-29-2010, 7:15 PM
Looks real good Roger. The only thing I might suggest, and I don't know if it is worth doing, is to cut, drill and glue a block to the bottom that would go between the ways to keep the rest square to the ways.

Thank you Thom, that is indeed a good idea! I do believe I will do that very thing!

Bernie Weishapl
12-29-2010, 7:31 PM
Great looking steady Roger. I agree a little more heft on the base I think would give you some solidity.

Don Alexander
12-29-2010, 7:32 PM
Do you have the G0698 Grizzly lathe

I WISH !! :(

i have this one

G0462 Wood Lathe With Digital Readout (http://www.grizzly.com/products/Wood-Lathe-With-Digital-Readout/G0462)

got it used for a real nice price and it works ok for the money it works great only real drawback is the low end speed

Nate Davey
12-29-2010, 7:34 PM
Thank you Thom, that is indeed a good idea! I do believe I will do that very thing!

This may seems like a no duh comment, but I messed it up when I did mine. Ensure your block that goes between the ways is thinner than the ways. I didn't and had to pull it off and resaw it down so it would clamp down. I've also noticed on mine that it has a little flex when I really get into a cut, so beefing up the base where it meets the lathe, per Bernie's comment wont hurt.

James Combs
12-29-2010, 9:24 PM
... I've also noticed on mine that it has a little flex when I really get into a cut, so beefing up the base where meets the lathe, per Bernie's comment wont hurt.

Ditto everyone's comments on beefing up the base. Here is a photo of my metal one and I need to beef up the 1/4" base plate on it and it is metal. I have a similar problem to Nate. I get some "flex when I really get into a cut".

Roger Chandler
12-29-2010, 9:35 PM
Ditto everyone's comments on beefing up the base. Here is a photo of my metal one and I need to beef up the 1/4" base plate on it and it is metal. I have a similar problem to Nate. I get some "flex when I really get into a cut".

James, and Nate,

Thanks, I do intend to put a couple of red oak strips, one on either side of the base. that will stiffen it for sure, and I am going to cut those pieces to go up the sides of the frame and attach it to the frame with screws & glue.

It is solid now, but I have not had it under stress as of yet. I want to get it good and stable before I put it under load.

Jeff Fagen
12-29-2010, 9:36 PM
James,That looks like an operating room.

David E Keller
12-29-2010, 10:09 PM
James,That looks like an operating room.

It's nicer than some of the operating rooms I've seen.

Nice looking steady, Roger.

Bill Bolen
12-29-2010, 10:13 PM
Good looking steady Roger. Hope it serves you long and well...Bill..

Roger Chandler
12-30-2010, 11:55 AM
After seeing this one I built, I have 2 members of our local club who now want me to build them one! I guess I could go into the steady rest business! :D

A steady rest is a useful accessory for a lathe, for sure........