PDA

View Full Version : Epilog Mini not working - many different issues

Michael Bareno
12-29-2010, 12:13 PM
Hi,
I am checking on the boards if maybe some of you have experienced some of these issues since I have called Epilog support but they are on holiday till January 3rd.

Original issue: about two weeks ago while sending a job to the Epilog Mini engraver it did not take the job (it remained in the queue on the PC). Unplugged the USB cable and reconnected, only to have Windows tell me that the USB device was not recognized. After changing USB ports, doing many power cycles and such, I got the machine working again and went on with my business.

Then last week we had the issue were during a print job the carriage just stopped dead in it's track and I was unable to resume or cancel the job. I had to do a power cycle and at this time the head slammed again at the home position. I kept trying to restart the machine but either it would not accept the jobs or it would not do the startup sequence (engraver model - firmware version - waiting for job: ) I called Epilog about this and while waiting for support, I cleaned the encoder strip, lubricated the x-axis rail and cleaned other areas. Of course, while I'm on hold, the machine starts working again. I tested several pieces with it and it worked fine again, however I still called Epilog support. He mentioned that it could have been that the flat cable that could have been getting caught and possibly overheated the motor until it stopped working. Since I opened the machine, the motor got a chance to cool down and work normally again. I wasn't sure he was right, but this could be an explanation of what happened...

However this week, we have been getting all kinds of weird reactions from the machine:
- During jobs, engraver either slams to one side, stops engraving or prints random dotted line on engraving
- Starts cutting fine for first 8 seconds, then starts making a soft beep while continuing cutting
- At startup, does not show startup sequence but blocks on LCD screen and does not accept any jobs
- Sometimes LCD goes blank and/or buttons stopped working
- After succesfull startup we send a job, machine beeps and cycles through startup sequence again (Epilog Mini, firmware version, job: )

After all these seemingly random issues, I can only think that the motherboard is the one that is behaving badly. However, since Epilog tech support is back until January 3 I wanted to see if anyone here can confirm if this is a mobo issue or not.

Thanks.
Michael

Barry Clark
12-29-2010, 12:39 PM
I had a virus awhile back that caused some of these issues.. I dunno

Chris DeGerolamo
12-29-2010, 1:22 PM
Have you tried reinstalling the [current] firmware? It sounds like a logical issue more than a hardware issue. You may also try using a CAT5 (Ethernet) cable instead of USB if that model has an Ethernet port.

Mark Plotkin
12-29-2010, 1:29 PM
I just replaced the Mobo three weeks ago. with the side panel off there are four lights that should be lit, you can check that to start. I also had to replace the flat cable that runs from the mobo to the beam. you can flip it end for end and see what happens. i also had to replace the air line as it was stretched and binding causing the machine to stop midway during jobs and not be able to cancel or restart as things were frozen with x or y error.

HTH

John Noell
12-29-2010, 2:27 PM
Mark is right on about possible complications but (having replaced the motherboard in my Mini 45 twice so far) it almost positively is the motherboard. Mine lasted about 14 months. Generally, FWLIW, I hear that using Ethernet is a better bet than USB. The scary part is that when I asked why mine were repeatedly failing, they did not seem surprised. "Could be dirty power" I was told but mine runs on a good APC voltage stabilizer (and every time I check it with my meter it is dead on nominal voltage).

Roy Brewer
12-29-2010, 11:10 PM
I am checking on the boards if maybe some of you have experienced some of these issues since I have called Epilog support but they are on holiday till January 3rd.Michael,

Let me say more strongly than others that you should be running Ethernet. Several (but not all) of the issues you described can be attributed to the USB interface. Tech support will almost always be able to get you up/running quicker if they don't have to step through USB as possible culprit.

Did you try reversing the X-axis, white, flat ribbon cable? Epilog uses only two of these wires and if you reverse it, you'll be using another 2 wires.

Sadly, however, the occasional 5 squares that don't go away is an indicator of something more serious. If this occurs again try this: after powering down and removing the power cord, remove the right side panel and find a brown, square chip on the motherboard and massage it with a clean thumb; you will not feel any "give." Now power back up

If that doesn't work, power down again and in the same area as the motherboard, you'll see a short, "patch" cable (same as Ethernet); disconnect it and power back up. The results from these tests will point to the culprit, but as you have feared, could very easily be the motherboard.

rich shepard
12-31-2010, 12:15 AM
I'm with Mark it might be the air hose jamping that stops it mid table has happen to me. When I thought my Mother board was going as did tech support it turned out to be a bad y servo. The upper bearing just fell apart and would lock up the machine. After powering down it would strart back up and run any were from one minute to a hour or more before it locked up again. it did do all sorks of odd things while the bearing was going out. I have to say the new sero motor is a much better dresign then the one that was in the machine new. So far in almost 7 years this was the only problem I have had that was not operator caused. Did replace the tube last summer other then that and a cable not a problem one.
rich
www.rslaserkits.com (http://www.rslaserkits.com)

Rodne Gold
12-31-2010, 3:23 AM
One more thing to try is to remove and reseat the connector to the machine display panel , both at the panel and motherboard - it might not work with or be possible on your machine , but it can't hurt to try...
Does you machine have ram boards ? If it does you can try remove and reseat them too...

Rangarajan Saravana kumar
01-02-2011, 4:37 AM
Hi,
I had similar problems once. Not so serious like yours.
My thought is to see if any contact with air tube holding tube with
The x axis encoder module . If the metal rod has a contact then erratic behavior takes
Place.