PDA

View Full Version : Was - HD Antenna - S-Video laptop to tv

Mark Bolton
12-29-2010, 11:27 AM
So now I have taken to bringing home the laptop and watching a lot of my video podcasts on the TV. Pretty nice to watch them on the big LCD rather than the laptop screen.

I wondered if SVideo is how others are doing this as well or if you use the VGA port or something different all together?

We have a Sony Bravia and it has SVideo of course and also a VGA port (looks like a monitor plug). Has many HDMI ports but I dont have HDMI on my laptop.

Its nice to watch on there but I dont get a crystal clear picture. It has some kind of fine checker/cross hatch/window screen type texture to the picture but its very fine and after a while its not really noticeable but its there. We are outputting sound via the headphone jack, y splitter, RCA cables. The audio sometimes seems slightly mismatched but again, minimal.

Just trying to tweak this whole process and wondering what others get for results.

Thanks,
Mark

Curt Harms
12-30-2010, 7:21 AM
If it drives you bats, you could try a USB or VGA to HDMI converter. I don't have any experience with 'em but here's one example:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812141001&cm_re=usb_to_hdmi_converter-_-12-141-001-_-Product

Todd Trebuna
12-30-2010, 8:53 AM
I had an old desktop that I wasn't using. I hooked it up by HDMI to my 61 " television and I get to not only surf the internet ont he big screen but watch dvr'd (It has a tuner card in it) episodes of this old house and the Wood shop.
Good stuff. My big screen has a VGA in, so I prefer to hook it up that way to my television as it is a much better pic than s-video. On my Hp I bought a converter that plugs into my s-video and has an s-video out and a composite video out. I prefer the composite video out, because of the situation you described.

Peter Stahl
12-30-2010, 9:08 AM
There are also DVI (Most Laptops have them) port to HDMI but this is for Video only. No audio output on your laptop other than the headphone jack? You can get cables like this just about anywhere, I use Monoprice which is cheap and has a good selection. What Laptop do you have?

Mark Bolton
12-30-2010, 10:10 AM
What Laptop do you have?

Its not the newest thing on the block, its an HP 2500tx tablet PC (montior flips around an latches over the keyboard making it like an Ipad sort of).

Thanks for all the replies, perhaps I will pick up one of these other cables...

Mark

Peter Stahl
12-30-2010, 10:24 AM
You sure you don't have a HDMI port on that laptop, the newer HP tablet says it does?