PDA

View Full Version : Rbi hawk 220s or hegner multimax 18r scroll saw? Best?

abram godshall
12-29-2010, 10:19 AM
A saw a rbi 220s for $600 and a hegner 18r for $400 for sale.

220s features: 26" thoat; var speed; floor stand; foot petal; adj mag light; asst blades w/ holder

hegner features: Var speed; new in 1993 other than that none specified

which is the better scroll saw? And which is the better deal?
I plan to use it to make puzzles for my grandson (as of now).

Thank you in advance,
abram godshall

Sam Layton
12-29-2010, 11:00 AM
I have a Hegner, and a Dewalt scroll saw. They are both good saws. The Hegner cost more than twice what the Dewalt did. That being said, I like the Dewalt saw better. I don't use either one much any more. However, when I do, I always go the the Dewalt. I don't know anything about the RBI. I think they went out of business, not sure. Have a look at the Dewalt.

Sam

abram godshall
12-29-2010, 5:58 PM
bump for more responses

Jim Johnstun
12-29-2010, 6:40 PM
Iam with Sam. I have an rbi and a dewalt. I go to the dewalt all the time I only use the rbi for bigger things. It has a 26 in throat. Rbi did go out of business but they are in operation again. Jim

Richard Gonzalez
12-29-2010, 7:54 PM
Both the RBI and Hegner new are very high end saws, and most who have them like them a lot. Here is a recent buyers guide that compares current models: Scrollsawer Magazine Article (http://www.scrollsawer.com/features/2010-scroll-saw-buyers-guide.html)

As for me, I have and like the Dewalt. I got mine off craigslist for $150. On the motor it is labeled as type 1 or Type 2. Type 1 were made in Canada. Type 2 were made in Taiwan or China. They are making the same saw now as the Delta 40-690. Seems to sell for much less than the Dewalt (and includes the stand and light). Don't know if there are differences other than the color.

You can find the Delta new for about the price of the used Hegner.

Jonathan Spool
12-29-2010, 9:23 PM
A number of years ago when I was shopping for a new scroll saw, I planned on getting an Excalibur, RBI, or Hegner. Dewalt had just come out with theirs, but really.....
I had the opportunity to try out the first three at a woodworking show and was impressed with the results of all the machines, but not the build of the RBI.

or the heck of it I tried out the Dewalt, and found the cut quality just as good as the high end machines, and at half the price. 18" throat was sufficient for me so I bought one and never looked back.
Great saw. Would I take a Hegner at the same price? Sure!

Stephen Cherry
12-30-2010, 8:59 AM
I've got the Type 1 (Canadian) Dewalt also, and would recomend giving that one a try. They aren't made anymore (the Canadian saws), but they are cheap enough, and come up with some regularity on craigslist. These saws seem like money in the bank to me-- they work well, people know they work well, and there is some broader demand. If you get the RBI for $600 dollars, and later you find that you want to go in another direction, you'll need to find somebody who is really crazy about scroll sawing.

More and more, I think about myself as the temporary owner of my machines. Most will be around far longer than me (later midlife reality setting in). For that reason, I only buy good machines, used, at what I consider to be fair to low prices. That way, when I am done with them, I can pass them on to someone else for a correspondingly good deal also.

David Handsman
12-30-2010, 9:47 AM
I have the Hegner variable speed that I purchased on craigs list. It needed some work, but I really like the saw. I paid around the price of the dewalt at the time. Although I like it very much, I don't think it is worth double. I would look at the excalibur. One thing I have found is that at the woodworking shows they are always trying to make deals on the demo saw at the show and they do reduce the prices dramatically.

Gary Flory
12-30-2010, 10:24 PM
I believe the RBI 220 has a 20" throat (the 226 has a 26" throat). $600 for a used RBI 220 is high -- the average price on Craigslist seems to be quite a bit cheaper. I bought an RBI 220 a year ago this month for $300. I have not used the Hegner or Dewalt, but the RBI is an absolutely great saw. No sanding needed for the cuts. :)

The original RBI company was sold, but the new company is still producing RBI equipment -- knows RBI equipment very well (even the equipment made before they purchased the stock) and has excellent customer service. Here is the site: http://www.rbiwoodtools.com/

Unless you must have a scroll saw now, keep looking. You can get an RBI for a lot less money.

John Fabre
12-31-2010, 12:57 AM
I bought a 1993 RBI 220 still in the box for $100.00 off CL two months ago which went for $1200.00. I had a Dewalt type "1" that I sold here three months ago. The RBI is outstanding and would be my first choice. The Dewalt type "1" would come in third, I wouldn't buy a type "2".

Buy the RBI with the larger thoat and a tear drop table and all those options, that's a deal. The Hegner is square, small thoat and no options. Condition has a lot to do with it to and how many hours they were used. Both the Hegner and RBI were over priced new.

1st choice - RBI 26"
2nd choice - Hegner 18"
3rd choice - Dewalt 20" type "1"