PDA

View Full Version : Post Christmas Adventure !!!

Lee Koepke
12-29-2010, 8:38 AM
We went to visit my folks up in N. Ga ... they had gotten about 8" of snow during the last week...... It happens their house is at the bottom of a 400 foot long gravel driveway. Got no idea what I was thinking but as we arrived, I proceeded to drive right on down as usual .... yup, you got it, there's no getting out of that mess!

So, we collectively spent about 2 hours yesterday shoveling snow / ice out of the way, 20 feet at a time ... for the entire 400 feet of driveway!

What a MESS !!!

Matt Meiser
12-29-2010, 8:47 AM
I had to do that in 1999 at my parents only their driveway isn't that long. It was snowing so hard, so fast that by the time I'd finish shoveling I'd have to start all over. I literally spent all day shoveling. Then it kept snowing almost every day for weeks after. At one point the snow along their road was piled higher than the roof of the Thunderbird I had at the time. Some mornings it would take me 2 hours to get to work and 2 to get home instead of the usual 45min each way. Several days the president of the company would walk by about 3PM and send me and another guy who lived far away home--and often I still didn't make it before dark.

I'm bracing for us to get nailed. We really haven't gotten that much yet. I need to take my tractor in for service. I'm guessing regardless of the forecast, we're going to get nailed the day after I take it in.

Lee Koepke
12-29-2010, 9:33 AM
I dont know how ya'll do it!

I am a Southern Boy ... spend very little time in snow/ice, so its always and adventure! The thing that kept me shoveling was the fact that I KNEW better than to head down that driveway, but did it anyway ....

Matt Meiser
12-29-2010, 9:56 AM
I got a job where I work out of the house!

Belinda Barfield
12-29-2010, 11:18 AM
I dont know how ya'll do it!

I am a Southern Boy ... spend very little time in snow/ice, so its always and adventure! The thing that kept me shoveling was the fact that I KNEW better than to head down that driveway, but did it anyway ....

LOL . . . I can relate, Lee. Back in the mid to late 80's I lived out in rural Edgefield, South Carolina. No experience with ice or snow. It started sleeting about mid day one day and the temperature started to drop. Finally, about 4 o'clock our boss sent us home. The bridges were starting to ice up and I was pretty nervous driving home. I finally made it and without thinking turned onto my blacktop driveway, that went down a hill, and was about as slick as glass. The fence in the backyard stopped me from hitting some trees, thank goodness. On the up side, I couldn't leave home for two days.