PDA

View Full Version : One time only

Justin Jones RDH
12-29-2010, 12:43 AM
So I am setting up my new TS and am waiting for my straight edge to arrive. I decided to give it a good polish in the mean time. 800-2000 grit paper with a little lubricant. I cant wait to slide some wood across this thing :D
Click to enlarge, click again to enlarge more and click one more time if you still aren't close enough.

John Keeton
12-29-2010, 7:00 AM
Justin, this product may give you a slick finish, but it contains glycerin as a primary ingredient. Glycerin is a humectant, designed to bring moisture in and retain it. That may not be the best to use on a tool surface. I would suggest Johnson Paste Wax - it contains no silicon that might contaminate a wood surface.

george wilson
12-29-2010, 7:21 AM
Good advice from John!!!

Rich Engelhardt
12-29-2010, 7:33 AM
Just a guess here on my part - but - I don't think he used the Working Hands on the top...
My best guess would be that he used that to clean his hands after using the (oil?) lubed wet/dry paper.

The can (I believe) is only there to show how nice and reflective the cast iron is now.

I could be wrong though...

Troy Turner
12-29-2010, 9:21 AM
Hey, if I send you my top, would you mind shining it up for me :)

Justin Jones RDH
12-29-2010, 1:28 PM
Justin, this product may give you a slick finish, but it contains glycerin as a primary ingredient. Glycerin is a humectant, designed to bring moisture in and retain it. That may not be the best to use on a tool surface. I would suggest Johnson Paste Wax - it contains no silicon that might contaminate a wood surface.

John, I guess I should specify, the working hands was for reflection only. It is a paraffin base hand cream. It is an awesome product BTW in the winter if you ever have knuckles that crack/bleed. It actually helps to heal them vs. a lotion that does not.

The final polish was done with boeshield t-9.

Neil Brooks
12-29-2010, 1:31 PM
I sure hope your TS sits good and level.

Otherwise ... boards will slide RIGHT off that thing :)

Really nice job !

Did you use an ROS ? Sanding block ? Just ... hand sanding ??

John Coloccia
12-29-2010, 1:35 PM
Hey, if I send you my top, would you mind shining it up for me :)

When I finished rearranging my shop, I popped open a nice bottle of wine. Now I have a wine glass base shaped little rust spot on my table saw wing, no doubt conceived when I was admiring my fine handy work with my wife. I don't pay well, but if you like good wine, good parmesan, and some fine mozzarella and dried sausage from New York, back your bags and stop by anytime :)

Nice work.

Justin Jones RDH
12-29-2010, 4:03 PM
Just a sanding block and about 2 hours of nothing else to do :)