PDA

View Full Version : When do you hit the "wall" with your bandsaw?

Tim Brodeur
12-28-2010, 11:06 PM
For some time, I have been contemplating the decision of wheel size for my first bandsaw purchase. My goals:

Buy one once - no regrets (or at least minimize them)
See above
Buy quality
Really understand what can or cannot be done with a particular wheel size to aid in my decision process.

So, if one were to hold all things equal, such as resaw capacity (let's say 12"), horsepower (let's say 2 to 3), power requirements (let's say 220v), not be concerned with accessories (fences, guides, table size, etc).... I really would like to know what makes one size bandsaw more versatile than the next.

After reading many posts that have comments such as, "after I bought my xx size bandsaw, I wanted more". I am trying to figure out what type of woodwork really does beg the upgrade. As we go up in size, what type of project/task will I then be able to do?

Any comments are greatly appreciated!

Happy holidays and new year!

-Tim

Scot Ferraro
12-28-2010, 11:14 PM
I think that the biggest bandsaw you can afford is the way to go. For me, a 24 inch size seems ideal. Resaw capacity is one limiting factor but the other one is the throat size. With a larger machine you will have more space between the blade and the column. This helps when crosscutting and also when making some curved cuts on large workpieces. Large bandsaws can also handle larger blades (as well as smaller blades), but the opposite is not true -- smaller bandsaws cannot always handle larger blades. For me 12-13 inches of resawing is plenty. If I were turning bowls or milling logs into boards I might want more. However, I have run into issues with the throat depth. I have an 18 inch bandsaw and if I were starting over I would get a 24 inch.

Scot

raul segura
12-28-2010, 11:38 PM
When looking for a dust collector, 2 hp some times means 1.5. After narrowing the search Id research the motored and still get a 3hp if I had the wall plug and cash.
It would go well with a wider blade and cast iron wheels. I have a 17 inch and haven't used it to much yet and yes id like it bigger. Its nice to have a second smaller B.S. for quick utility stuff though.

Steve Kohn
12-28-2010, 11:39 PM
I am firmly convinced there is no such thing as the perfect bandsaw. If you buy a big machine, 12 inch resaw for example, then you have the wrong blade on when you want to do any kind of fine detail or scroll cutting. Or the reverse can be true.

So my simple answer is to buy 2 bandsaws. One a resaw monster, and the other a benchtop model for finer cuts.

I personally have the monster (Grizzly G0514) and a Delta Shopmaster. Next step will be to replace the Shopmaster with either the Rikon 10 inch, or an older used saw.

Rick Fisher
12-29-2010, 12:15 AM
Really depends on what you do .. If you like working with rough lumber and milling it into the pieces you need, a larger saw like 24" is great. I have a 24" with a 5hp motor and it cuts lumber much better and safer than my Table saw.. Resawing is easy, but it does not handle a small blade well at all.. It could be that I need to do some work to it to run a small blade, but I don't like changing the blade that much anyway..

Dave MacArthur
12-29-2010, 1:02 AM
I did a bunch of built-in closet shelves to fit in corners, so was cutting diagonal sheet goods. I found that it was incredibly dangerous on the table saw without a slider, and ended up using circular saws and jigsaws to cut these 36" diagonal sheetgoods sections... it was a real pain. I wished I had a larger band saw throat to allow me to cut these on what I considered the perfect tool for it, the band saw.

When I shopped for a larger band saw, I knew I wanted to have a throat at least 18" to allow me to do similar diagonal cuts (18" deep from cut to corner on a 36" wide shelf). I have a ton of closets to finish out. I ended up buying a 20" Agazzani, but had planned on a 19" G0514X2 until I found a smoking deal on craigslist.

Will Overton
12-29-2010, 8:34 AM
You need to think of what you will do and what other tools you have to do the same job. Dave would like a larger bandsaw to cut those diagonal shelves. I would go directly to the Festool track saw for that cut. Woodworking gives us lots of choices and you have to make your own.

I have a 14" PowerMatic and for "me" it works well. I bought the riser block about three years ago, but I've yet to install it. I don't do a lot of resawing. However, if I was buying today I would probably look at one of the steel frame models that have larger, native, resaw capacity.

As was mentioned above, if you go with a large machine to do large resaws, you will probably not want to swap out that blade everytime you want to cut some curves. Swapping blades, unlike a tablesaw, requires a bit of setup/adjusments each time.

My advice, unless you plan on 2 bandsaws, is to forget "bigger is better". Instead, think seriously about what you do now and what you might do in the future. Then, buy the size that best fits "YOUR" needs. As in the example above, a big saw would cut those shelves, but if you have another, possibly better, way to make those cuts you don't need a bigger bandsaw to acommodate that operation.

Stephen Cherry
12-29-2010, 9:17 AM
I think that one issue that is often overlooked is the saws ability to adequately tension bigger blades. I've got a 24 inch agazzani, which is a pretty well put together saw, and I can crank up the tension on carbide blades so that they just cut whatever is put in front of them. And the big table is nice also.

If I could choose one tool to splurge on, it would be a bandsaw.

For less money, in my opinion the old bridgewood pbs saws seem hard to beat. Italian quality, on a Chinese budget.

Don Bullock
12-29-2010, 12:25 PM
Tim, it all depends on what you plan to do with your bandsaw. I, for example, have a 14" 1 hp bandsaw. For my current projects it's perfect. Recently I saw a demonstration on bandsaw boxes. They look like they'd be a lot of fun to make, but making them seems to require using two different blades. The guy doing the demonstration suggested that having two bandsaws was the way to go. In his case he had two 14" machines. If I ever want to do some resawing I've decided that perhaps a 20" or 24" Agazzani would be the best way to go. I've seen them demonstrated locally at Eagle Tools and was very impressed with the quality of these machines.

Tom Rick
12-29-2010, 12:34 PM
I would buy one of the 14's and use it for few years. When you start to need more capacity, pick up a larger saw and keep the 14 for scroll work.

I went this route and keep two band saws set up. The larger saw is left set up for resaw while the 14 has the narrow scroll blade on at all times.
It's great and a walk up and cut solution for everything I need to do on band saws.

I have a older Delta 14 and a 16" Walker Turner. Both with gear boxes.

The WT has a 12" resaw capacity but if I had it to do again I would skip the gearing and buy one of the beautiful older Crescent 'C' frame saws in ~32" to serve as the larger machine.
All my needs are met with the existing gear excepting having one of those 'C' frame saws gracing the shop.
Maybe three band saws is the way to go......

Joe Angrisani
12-29-2010, 12:45 PM
I'd go with a used 14"er from Craigslist if I was unsure of what I needed. Something like the Delta 14" since there's a wealth of information out there specifically about it. If you move up and decide on only one bandsaw, you'll get every penny back from a used saw purchase. There's lots of saws in little ol' Denver. Must be zillions on a Northern NJ or NYC Craigslist. :)

Mike Heidrick
12-29-2010, 1:41 PM
When do I hit the wall - at about 36' from the blade.

Kirk Poore
12-29-2010, 1:57 PM
Resaw, resaw, resaw--bah, humbug! Unless you're sawing veneers or huge bowl blanks, resawing is vastly overrated. What a big bandsaw will do is give you a big table and a big throat. The first will let you rip big boards safely, the second will let you cut big curves in big pieces of wood or sheet goods. My 30" saw is a dream to use for almost anything. I keep my 14" saw (with riser block, from before I knew better) around only to cut little stuff, since starting my phase converter is a hassle for one or two cuts on the big saw.

Kirk

Tom Rick
12-29-2010, 2:12 PM
Resaw, resaw, resaw--bah, humbug! Unless you're sawing veneers or huge bowl blanks, resawing is vastly overrated. What a big bandsaw will do is give you a big table and a big throat. The first will let you rip big boards safely, the second will let you cut big curves in big pieces of wood or sheet goods. My 30" saw is a dream to use for almost anything. I keep my 14" saw (with riser block, from before I knew better) around only to cut little stuff, since starting my phase converter is a hassle for one or two cuts on the big saw.

Kirk

I end up needing 3/8" stock often enough that splitting 4/4 boards on the BS is a good way to go with the expensive woods I work with.

With you on the "bah, humbug" though.

-Patiently waiting for that time in life where it is reasonable to swat the youngsters with a cane.....-

Greg Portland
12-29-2010, 2:44 PM
Tim, a properly tuned saw of any size and power will be able to cut wood (with a good blade). The larger saws with more power (and longer blades) allow you to cut -faster- but not necessarily better. Table size can be fixed by building a large table top and mounting it to the saw. I have seen people cut thin veneers on a 14" saw without any problems. Of course, you can cut those same veneers about 3x faster on the big machines.

Actions that -require- a large saw:

- resawing large bowl blanks for turning
- Cutting large patterns (large throat depth required)
- requirement of resaw speed or long blade life for a production setting
- Using the bandsaw to rip up to the throat depth (table saw is of course a better option here)

I have a LT18 and have never required additional capacity. However, I am not into turning where additional resaw height might be an advantage. Most of my pattern work is for table legs or for other similarly sized patterns; they could easily be done with a 14" saw.

Dave Lehnert
12-29-2010, 2:55 PM
I don't think there will ever be an ideal size. Tools you "Need" have gotten bigger and bigger. For example. If reading the woodworking forums 10 -12 years ago the JET 6" jointer was all the rage. Now talk about buying a 6" and people think you are a fool.

glenn bradley
12-29-2010, 3:02 PM
Totally subjective and unfortunately, like experience, knowing what bandsaw you "need" often comes after you need the knowledge. I have been fine with my 2HP 17" machine. If I could do it again, given the choice of a larger wheel or a larger motor, I would go for another horse even though the machine has done everything I have ever asked of it so, go figger(?).

Myk Rian
12-29-2010, 3:17 PM
Tim, it all depends on what you plan to do with your bandsaw. I, for example, have a 14" 1 hp bandsaw. For my current projects it's perfect. Recently I saw a demonstration on bandsaw boxes. They look like they'd be a lot of fun to make, but making them seems to require using two different blades. The guy doing the demonstration suggested that having two bandsaws was the way to go. In his case he had two 14" machines. If I ever want to do some resawing I've decided that perhaps a 20" or 24" Agazzani would be the best way to go. I've seen them demonstrated locally at Eagle Tools and was very impressed with the quality of these machines.
This is exactly what my Niece does. I sold her my 2001 14" Delta w/riser. She uses it to cut the bottoms off her boxes. Her Cman does the rest of the work. Since she makes a living doing that work, it was a big plus for her to have 2 saws.

The only reason I sold her that saw was I acquired a 1966 Delta 14" w/riser, metal/wood model that I restored.
The older Deltas can't be beat.

Steve H Graham
12-29-2010, 3:24 PM
When I was band saw shopping, I thought I'd get a 14" saw. That's big by non-tool-lunatic standards. But I saw a nearly-new 19" Shop Fox on Craigslist, and it was cheaper than a new 14" Grizzly. I got the guy down to $850 and took the saw home.

This is a huge saw for an average person, but I found uses for it right away. People here in Miami throw out thick mahogany logs all the time, and I grabbed a bunch and resawed them. With a smaller saw, it would have been impossible. And I have a nice big table to work on, which makes life easier.

If you can find a deal like this on a used saw, I'd say go for it. It's not the finest saw ever made, but at my pace, it will never wear out, and I get beautiful cuts with it (much better than I deserve, given how I maintain it) and it takes up about the same amount of room as a small saw.

Small tools almost always suck, sooner or later.

Carroll Courtney
12-29-2010, 5:20 PM
175533I'm not going to come at you with an intellectual answer,but I second what Greg said that a properly tuned BS will cut most anything you put in front of it.But you also have to know the limits of each size and purchase accordly.I have three different size BS and will be narrowing it down to a 20" is my first choice then a 36" is the second.The 20" will handle from a 1/4 blade to a 1" blade and has all kinds of adjustment for fine tuning.Lets see some pics and hear from you on your choice,and for blades,give Bobby @ www.woodworkerstoolworks.com (http://www.woodworkerstoolworks.com) a chance and ask for his advice----Carroll

Rod Sheridan
12-29-2010, 7:52 PM
I went from a 14 inch cast iron clone to a 17" General International band saw, used a lot by Diann for bowl blanks.

I do a reasonable amount of resawing, as well as making veneer, and also use it to mill logs about 1 metre long.

For me

- ability to tension a 3/4" blade

- ability to run a 1/4" blade

- Nice cast iron table

- 2 or 3 HP

- ability to take clip on extension tables for log work or larger pieces.

- easy to adjust guides

- blade brake, either mechanical or electrical.

My present saw doesn't take extension tables, or have a blade brake, and the guides could be a bit easier to adjust.

The 17" GI saw works well, smooth, easy and accurate blade tracking ( no fence fiddling), however I wish I'd bought the Hammer N4400 as it is not much more than the GI and has a 4HP motor, nicer guides, a blade brake, and accepts table extensions.

That said, aside from a calamity of biblical proportions the GI saw is staying the basement, the 17" does everything I'm likely to ask of it.

Regards, Rod.

Van Huskey
12-30-2010, 12:15 AM
Bigger CAN be better with a bandsaw...

The thing is if you want ONE bandsaw that is a multi-function saw don't go too big, the constant blade changes get old when you are dealing with 15' plus blades. For me the best hobby shop setup is a 20-24" BS for straight cuts (rip/resaw) and a 14-16" saw for curves and dovetails etc. The smaller sized throat and table don't effect these cuts usually and it is much easier and quicker to change blades on the smaller saw.

If budget permits the big three are Laguna, Minimax and Agazzani. Laguna has the best guides, MM the heaviest construction.

Callan Campbell
12-30-2010, 10:53 AM
I am firmly convinced there is no such thing as the perfect bandsaw. If you buy a big machine, 12 inch resaw for example, then you have the wrong blade on when you want to do any kind of fine detail or scroll cutting. Or the reverse can be true.

So my simple answer is to buy 2 bandsaws. One a resaw monster, and the other a benchtop model for finer cuts.

I personally have the monster (Grizzly G0514) and a Delta Shopmaster. Next step will be to replace the Shopmaster with either the Rikon 10 inch, or an older used saw. +1 on this, bandsaws can easily be like routers, you find that one is just not enough.

Karl Card
12-30-2010, 11:47 AM
Some have mentioned that with a larger bandsaw then you have the probolem of needing a smaller blade once in awhile for those very curvy jobs etc. What I did in the beginning was to get a 9 inch bench top bandsaw and a 14 inch floor model. Well I am ditching the 9 inch and keeping th 14 and also the plans are for getting the 17 inch grizzly. I do not need more than a 12 inch resaw ability but I need horsepower bad. I do alot of cutting 2x6 and larger boards in half ( making them 1x6) and 99 percent of these boards are purpleheart, yellowheart, teak, jarrah, all kinds of rosewoods, I assume you get the drift of very hardwoods. I just feel with a good 3 hp saw and the right blade I dont think I will have a problem.

Tim Brodeur
12-30-2010, 9:50 PM
Thanks everyone for your comments!

Seems like there are compelling reasons for a monster BS and a more reasonably sized one. Like everyone is mentioning, it all depends.

The general jist I am reading is that depending on what the main uses are going to be, that really dictates the size of the wheels. If I never have a need to be able to cut down a log for a large bowl, then probably 17" BS would do just fine. If I need to rip a 19" board... either throw it on the TS or use a plunge circular saw, etc.

My main goal of this post was hear what really gets under one's skin when trying to do something... so if more "regular" tasks generate a "gee, my saw is too small, now I need to find an alternative to getting this simple job done", that to me dictates and justifies a certain size. If anything, I am hearing, have two. A straight forward 14"er and something larger. Of course, I think after hits their own "wall" on a regular basis, that "something larger" becomes quite apparent!

Again, thanks everyone for their input!!!

-Tim