PDA

View Full Version : Need new BS tires....which ones?

Greg Urwiller
12-28-2010, 10:50 PM
I got a used Ridgid 14" bandsaw given to me which needs new tires. This summer I picked up a set at a woodworking store, the "orange" Poly(?) type, marked 14". The owner didn't know for sure what they fit, but thought they'd fit a Ridgid. Of course they were $40 for the set. A couple months ago I got the BS, but didn't look at it since I was in the process of getting a workshop built. Shop's done, so I'm moving in and finally took the time to look at the BS. The width of the rims between the shoulders is .950, and of course the belts I've got measure 1" even! So it looks like I'm going to have to eat these and order something else. Ereplacementparts has the black tires for only $6 apiece. Seems I remember reading somewhere that the "orange" type were best. Is there someplace I can order the right set for this, or isn't this BS worth worrying about having a better quality belt? Thanks. Greg

Bill Huber
12-28-2010, 11:10 PM
Have you tried to put them on, I am sure they would fit, when you put them on they will stretch and be a little bet narrower I would think.

I just look on Rocklers site and they state that their tires are 1" and will fit all 14" band saws.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=5838&filter=band%20saw%20tires

John McClanahan
12-28-2010, 11:26 PM
Watch what you are buying. Some places sell the tires per pair, others sell per each, at near the per pair price.

John

Greg Urwiller
12-29-2010, 5:40 AM
Bill: I went to the Rockler website link you posted....read through the reviews. Looks like a lot of people have used these (probably the same tire) on their Ridgid bandsaws. A couple reviewers stated they were a little too wide but several never said a thing about it. So, maybe I'll just give it a try and see what happens. It looks like these are the same tires Rockler carries, and I see from their description that they can be trimmed to fit. But, that looks like that would be a real pain to trim evenly. You're probably right, some of the width may narrow enough when you stretch them around. Thanks. Greg

Bobby Knourek
12-29-2010, 11:08 AM
Greg,The best tire for that machine in my opinion, is what was designed many years ago for most bandsaws.
It is the good ol'fasioned black rubber. It is thicker than the orange ''polys'' and when stretched on they will drop right into the .950 channel.
You can and should take it to the next step and cement them down and they should last up to 20 years. If your wheels already have a crown machined into the outer rim a good quality tire will conform to that crown and give you the tracking that you will need. If the wheel is not crowned then the thicker black tires will allow for sanding and give you the crowned
wheel that you will need.
Tires that are not glued down will eventually loose their elasticity, shift on the wheel and fail over time far sooner than the tires that are cemented down.
Tires are available in several locations but at www.woodworkerstoolworks.com (http://www.woodworkerstoolworks.com) the cement is included with the tires and they offer toll free tech support.
Good Luck,
Bobby.

lowell holmes
12-29-2010, 3:09 PM
I just went through this. I bought Carter tires. They were 7/8" wide. My 14" Jet wheels use a 1" wide tire.

I sent the Carter tires back and bought the Rockler tires. They are 1" wide and were easy to put on the wheels.

Measure the old tires and buy the same width as the old.

Greg Urwiller
12-29-2010, 4:52 PM
Bobby: I went to the website...the only 14" tires they have are 1 1/16" wide. If I have to trim to fit, I might just as well use the urethane tires I have now. They did have a video on trimming to fit, but I wonder how easy the urethane cuts compared to rubber.

Lowell: Since my channel is .950, the Rocklers are too wide too, and I'm betting that's what my "orange" ones are. The only way I'll get ones to fit will be to order OEM Ridgid tires. I've got a couple of other things to order from Ereplacement.com, so I might just go ahead and get them since it's only $12 for the pair. Greg

Carroll Courtney
12-29-2010, 4:53 PM
I'm a big fan of www.woodworkerstoolworks.com (http://www.woodworkerstoolworks.com) They are family owned and operated since the mid 30's,have a service department that will help over the phone or will machine and repair parts.They have all the parts for bandsaws from 14"tires up to the 42" tires and the glue or epoxy for the tires.Triming is a good thing,just an extra step to custom fit the tire to the wheel.And as for the orange,its like fishing lures.Made to catch fisherman and made to catch woodworkers.A BS don't need no bling,stick w/the rubber all your quality BS comes w/rubber.Look at their Youtube on how to install tires,then call Bobby and talk he's agreat guy and a fellow woodworker---Carroll
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbwJD5dh2kY

Bobby Knourek
12-29-2010, 5:02 PM
Greg,
12.00 per pair is a great price, let me know what they are like.
I gotta believe we are not comparing apples to apples, but if you can get them to work for you then they are the apples you need.
If they dont work, we can trim the tires down for you to any size.
But I'm afraid no where near that 12.00 per pair price.

Good luck and let us know.
Bobby.

Bobby Knourek
12-29-2010, 5:04 PM
Thanks Carroll,
How are the rebuilt machines coming along?

BK.

Carroll Courtney
12-29-2010, 5:42 PM
Well,what a surprise Bobby.I did not know you were a member here and welcome to one of my favorite places.I was just bragging on your company and the personnal service that you provide to members.Here is where I'm at to date,been working on my leaking roof and since its raining today,its still not fix.----Carroll

Bobby Knourek
12-29-2010, 5:48 PM
Classy job Carroll, and sorry to hear about the roof.

Bobby.

Greg Urwiller
12-29-2010, 10:18 PM
Bobby: OK, didn't know you were one of woodworkerstoolworks.com. Glad you responded! Here's the thing...the urethane tires I picked up measure 1". The distance between shoulders on my basic Ridgid BS measure .950 or 61/64". Ereplacement.com has "OEM" "black" tires for $6 a pop. I'm SURE these aren't a high end product! I'm already in $40+ for the urethane tires. So...do I "fit" these on the rims, and let them stretch and fit, maybe, since they're a little wide, with a "forced" crown? Will thy fit?? Or, trim them? Or...call you and buy the rubber (probably a very good product!) trimmed to fit?? I know I'm obsessing over a "cheap" BS, but hey, it was free, it's better than my old Skilsaw 10-12" (don't know what it is for sure), and I'd like to do the right thing now so I can use it efficiently until I can get a better one. I appreciate all the replies I've gotten so far!! Greg

Carroll Courtney
12-30-2010, 6:57 AM
Only reason I'm responding to this question and knowing it was not towards me is because I have been down the same road.I started off w/a 12"craftsman and as I learned more about BS have what I feel to be moving towards being better.Someone w/experience can take a cheap spray gun and make it paint the best it can do within its limits.I think that a person can do the samething w/a BS.But first,what is the major differences between a good BS and a cheap BS? To me the major parts is the motor size,frame,wheels,guides.Some may say "what about the throat size"or resaw size?You can buy cheap or quality in any throat size from the 12" on up,to me is buy the size you need.
But the mistake that I made(just like you)is going at it "Its just a cheap bandsaw"I think that you can take and invest alittle money into this BS and like the army "be the best it can be".Know the limits of the BS and don't try to make it do more than what is capable of doing. Invest very little, you will be disappointed from the start and say to yourself "What a waste of time and money".Urethane tires is good,its just that rubber is better(IMO,I also had them once)and a tuneup may take you acouple of hrs or more.Either you can sell the tires at a lost and buy rubber,or install them,trim and do one heck of a tuneup and start cutting like your using a top of the line BS and not a cheap Ridgit.Happy Cutting----Carroll

Ben Reese
12-30-2010, 8:39 AM
Just did this on my 14" Delta. Invest in the urethane tires (orange) I got mine from Rockler and got free shipping. It's a little difficult to put them on because I have super arthritis. So I took the wheels off and gathered up 3 spring clamps and 2 large flat blade screw drivers and took them up to the house. I had them on in probably 30 minutes while watching TV. You could probably have them on in less time. They will run you $32.99 and the stock number is 23860. If they are not offering it at the present time ask them about free shipping. I believe they are well worth the extra bucks my saw seems to run much smoother and track much better.

Bobby Knourek
12-30-2010, 10:15 AM
Greg,
If you think you have the time, and want a deal...
Ship us your wheels, and for the price of the tires and shipping I will have the shop install, crown (concentric to the bore)
and balance.
The trick will be, can you get them here byJan.15th? We are doing a demonstration and if you dont mind us using your wheels we will give them a high end tune up at a considerable savings.
Bobby.