PDA

View Full Version : Bell System B brace

lowell holmes
12-28-2010, 7:36 PM
My just acquired Bell System B brace is a bit loose where the c shaped handle joins the rachet mechanism. Do any you know how to fix it?

It's not wobbly loose, but when I tried it out, I could tell it was not revolving about a single axis. The c shaped part of the brace and the chuck were not in a single plane. I was able to tap it and and get it close. It will move out of alignment easily.

I'm impressed with the jaws. They hold the bit securely.

Andrae Covington
12-29-2010, 12:16 AM
My just acquired Bell System B brace is a bit loose where the c shaped handle joins the rachet mechanism. Do any you know how to fix it?

It's not wobbly loose, but when I tried it out, I could tell it was not revolving about a single axis. The c shaped part of the brace and the chuck were not in a single plane. I was able to tap it and ang get it close. It will move out of alignment easily.

I'm impressed with the jaws. They hold the bit securely.

This page on georgesbasement (http://www.georgesbasement.com/fs2101a.htm) might help.

lowell holmes
12-29-2010, 7:08 AM
Thanks,

I found his site, and it helps. My brace is not tight where the crank joins the chuck/rachet mechanism. I don't know if it is a friction fit or if there is an alignment pin there.

There are patent drawings to view for bit braces on the Google patent site.

Jim Koepke
12-29-2010, 12:29 PM
Lowell,

It sounds like you are in an area where you will have to investigate this on your own.

Then when you find the answers, you become the teacher.

Look for any signs of an alignment pin in the plating of the sleeve that fits over the crank.

You may need to find a way to align the parts and retrofit a pin on your own.

Do you know any machinists?

jtk

lowell holmes
12-29-2010, 2:46 PM
Jim,

I agree. I was hoping somebody had done this before.

The patent pages are entertaining to read if you haven't seen them. I had not seen them before I stumbled onto them. I googled bit braces and they were part of the sites that came up.

I think I've seen enough to know how the connection might be made. Maybe I will disassemble the brace and let a machine shop fix it.

I don't know if epoxy would lock it up and hold, being metal to metal.

Another scheme is to disassemble the brace and apply heat to the sleeve and try to separate the crank from the sleeve. Then, maybe heating the sleeve in the oven and putting the crank in the freezer would allow the reassembled parts to lock up.

It was a $20 dollar brace, the good ones are 4-5 times as expensice, I don't have any complaint.

Thanks for responding.

Jim Koepke
12-29-2010, 3:40 PM
Another scheme is to disassemble the brace and apply heat to the sleeve and try to separate the crank from the sleeve. Then, maybe heating the sleeve in the oven and putting the crank in the freezer would allow the reassembled parts to lock up.

This is likely not going to do anything as the pieces will return to their original size when the temps stabilize.

I will give mine a look when I am out in the shop today and see if there is anything to see.

jtk

Jim Koepke
12-29-2010, 4:38 PM
There I was out in the shop and wanted to bore a hole and remembered this thread.

Picked up my 2101A and it does have a pin through the side where the chuck/ratchet assembly meets the crank.

So Lowell, this pin is either missing or damaged on yours.

That should be an easy repair.

Maybe my camera should go back out to the shop with me.

Arrow points to the pin.

jtk

Jim Koepke
12-29-2010, 10:06 PM
Just a bump to let Lowell know about the photo.

jtk