PDA

View Full Version : "Clear for takeoff"

Roland Martin
12-28-2010, 7:31 PM
I've been working on building a vacumm chuck this past week and got to test it tonight, "IT SUCKS!!!":D. Well, actually it seems to work good, thank you Steve for sending me the tutorial that you put together, what a great help that was:). Yes, I've got some pictures, it did happen!
This was actually quite fun and interesting to build. Since the Surplus Center didn't have any Gast 522 pumps left and had no idea when or if they would get any more, I hunted around on Ebay and ended up picking one up for $50 plus $24 shipping:eek:. I decided to make the adapter out of Corian and seems to have worked out well. I only made one chuck so far, I was too excited to make more right now, kinda feel like a child about now:)

dan carter
12-28-2010, 7:35 PM
Sure looks sweet. Nice installation. Keep suckin. :-)

Ken Hill
12-28-2010, 7:36 PM
I think it sucks!:eek::D

They sure do work good, and it looks like you have yourself one fine set up!

David DeCristoforo
12-28-2010, 7:47 PM
That's a nice setup Roland... But it's way too tidy! BTW, that's an interesting object in the last pic. I presume we will be seeing that more clearly in the near future?

John Keeton
12-28-2010, 7:54 PM
Roland, that is a very neat job you did on the "cabinet" and the overall build. Should really make life easier.

David D. - that piece on the chuck appears to be the one Roland posted recently, or a close cousin!

David DeCristoforo
12-28-2010, 8:00 PM
"...that piece on the chuck appears to be the one Roland posted recently..."

Ahh... So it would appear. Don't know how I missed that. Well... actually I do, what with the end of the year wackiness and all. But sorry Roland. It really is a sweet piece!

Roger Chandler
12-28-2010, 8:45 PM
Wooo Hoooo! Now that will get your juices going! Nice vacuum system there Roland! I really like the way your vac adapter is made from corian....nice job!

Roland Martin
12-28-2010, 8:45 PM
Roland, that is a very neat job you did on the "cabinet" and the overall build. Should really make life easier.

David D. - that piece on the chuck appears to be the one Roland posted recently, or a close cousin!

Thanks, and you're right John, not quite done with that piece yet:)

Bob Bergstrom
12-28-2010, 9:24 PM
I have had mine about 2 weeks. Boy is nice for doing the bottom of bowls. I also have been able to use as a third hand when sanding something I missed in finishing a bowl. I'm sure I will find more uses when carving and piercing also. Enjoy.

Tim Thiebaut
12-29-2010, 12:27 AM
That is an amazing looking system you have there now, funny how a simple little wood lathe can get SO high tech! I have a ways to go in my learning and skill level before I will need one of these, but its great to be able to look at and read about others doing this in the mean time.

Jon Prouty
12-29-2010, 12:47 AM
nice work! just curious about the total build time and cost? I went with a Hold Fast system once I started tallying up the costs and time but maybe I was way off?

Thanks!
Jon

Roland Martin
12-29-2010, 5:53 AM
nice work! just curious about the total build time and cost? I went with a Hold Fast system once I started tallying up the costs and time but maybe I was way off?

Thanks!
Jon

Jon, it looks like the total cost was between $200 - $250 to build the system. Somewhere between 16 - 20 hours labor (4 hours of that was scrathing my head):confused:.
For me, it was the challenge more than anything in deciding to build it myself, I love doing things I haven't done before, besides, I'm cheap. I have no idea how this homemade system compares to a HoldFast system in quality and function, having never used a vacuum system prior to this.
One thing is for certain, if i would have bought the Holdfast system, I would have had more time for turning:D. Turning, so far, is a relaxing escape from my flatwork, so I don't consider my labor.
Thanks, Roland

John Keeton
12-29-2010, 6:37 AM
I have a ways to go in my learning and skill level before I will NEED one of these...Tim - couple of comments. First, I notice that you have quickly picked up on the use of the word "need." Good move - we always use that word in place of "want" - particularly in front of spouses or significant others.:cool: Second, regardless of your skill level, another tool ALWAYS helps!:D;) It is just one of the rules!

Roland Martin
12-29-2010, 7:22 AM
Tim - couple of comments. First, I notice that you have quickly picked up on the use of the word "need." Good move - we always use that word in place of "want" - particularly in front of spouses or significant others.:cool: Second, regardless of your skill level, another tool ALWAYS helps!:D;) It is just one of the rules!

HaHaHa, how accurate is that statement:D

Steve Schlumpf
12-29-2010, 7:28 AM
Roland - glad to see you were able to figure everything out and get your system built! Nice job! Have fun using it!

Roland Martin
12-29-2010, 7:40 AM
Thank you, Steve. I'm sure it will be a very useful addition. Along with your help with the tutorial and all the information gathered from other Creekers, it went very well.