PDA

View Full Version : Question for Festool Sander Users

Kent Chasson
12-28-2010, 6:46 PM
In the never ending quest to control dust, I'm thinking of a Festool sander. My main hesitation is that I do a ton of sanding with my random orbit and 90% of is done one-handed holding the work with the other hand. It looks like, once you connect the vacuum to it, even the palm sander would be unwieldy to use with one hand. The larger sanders look like real beasts. Do you folks always clamp the work to sand? Can you control these one-handed with precision?

Also, how good is the dust collection? Worth it?

Thanks

Mark Buchanan
12-28-2010, 6:56 PM
I'll answer the last question first. Dust collection is essential and with any of the Festool vac's it is around 100% on flat work. I have a RO125 and a an ETS125, both 5 inch sanders. The ETS is very easy to use one handed. The RO125 usually requires 2 hands. I have always used air sanders and the RO is faster. The ETS is a less aggressive sander by design but would probably be your best bet for small work. You will probably get a dozen different opinions to your questions so hope this helps.

Mark

Bruce Page
12-28-2010, 7:14 PM
Kent, I have the ETS 150/3 ROS that I run a 1 ¼ hose on. I don’t have any problem one-handing it. If I have a lot of sanding to do I will hang the hose from above and try to adjust it to a neutral feel.

Chris Tsutsui
12-28-2010, 7:40 PM
I posted in the other thread, but this time i can go more into detail about these 3 sanders I use.

I have a Rotex 150 FEQ
ETS 150/3
A porter Cable 333SP or whatever their popular 5" dual action orbital sander that went for $50

If I connect a CT33 to either of those mentioned, the dust collection is great. Too high of suction and it will be a tad harder to move the sander around, too low, and you'll miss some dust.

The ETS 150/3 is designed for one hand use, same with the porter cable model, though the ETS 150 has a trigger on/off, less vibration, and seemingly quieter (lower frequency noise).

The Rotex is just a beast and it is loud, can tackle the toughest sanding jobs. It has great dust pickup but to me it lacks ease of use compared to the ETS 150. Controlling a rotex in it's aggressive mode is like controlling a commercial floor scrubber or rotary sander. Depending on which way you put pressure, the rotex can wander in a particular direction. It takes getting used to, but I highly doubt the rotex was intended for one hand operation unless you've got the strength. heh

I tried it one handed and it would start to "chatter" and skip.

I'd highly recommend the ET 150/3. Perhaps my favorite feature on this sander (and also the rotex) is it comes to a halt in no time while the porter cable will keep buzzing and spinning after you turn it off. The trigger that's in a great location makes it easy to turn it on and off and it's light enough you can use it one handed. I just wish it was cheaper.

So to answer your question, I would clamp when using the rotex (same with a belt sander). The ETS 150 can be used on something you can hold.

Another thing to look into is the new Rotex DX, that is a mini rotex and detailer sander that looks like an easier to handle rotex that converts to a detail sander. Don't think it's out yet though.

Kent Chasson
12-28-2010, 8:19 PM
Thanks all.

Mark, by specifying "flat work", I'm assuming you mean it won't collect as well on curved surfaces. That makes sense and is a good point I didn't think of. A lot of my work is on curved surfaces.

Bruce, hanging the hose sounds like a good idea. I have a downdraft table where I do the bulk of my sanding so I can picture a bungee cord with a hook that stays there.

Chris, thanks for re-posting that, especially about the PC. I actually have a PC with a dust port sitting in a bottom drawer. Pretty much forgot about it. I bought it on sale thinking my old one was on it's way out. That was more than 5 years ago and the 20 yr old one is still going. I'll give it a try with my Fein. Maybe you saved me some money.