PDA

View Full Version : Very Sharp Gloat...comes today

Mark Singer
01-06-2005, 8:25 PM
I am very excited....my LN Chisel set arrived...rosewood handles and very nice finish...can't wait to try them...the finish is great! I had the usuall which ones should I get and Gene Collison came to my rescue again! I think the advice was good....but I will have to give em a try...just to be sure.

I got a set of Shapton stones From Tools For Woodworking...Joel was very helpful

Jim Becker
01-06-2005, 8:30 PM
Very nice, Mark. I had the pleasure of fondling Robert Tarr's during the "Festool-val" at my shop a couple months ago. (without cutting myself, too...) Wonderful chisels!

Louis Bois
01-06-2005, 8:33 PM
Hey Mark!!!

Foul!!!!!
You Should be flashing these on the Neander side!!! I know, I know...it's tough to pick a side...just sitting on the fence for now, eh? But it's not long before you move on over fulltime! I've seen your collection of planes in another post...guess you're already there.

...and aren't we just a bit "flashy" with the rosewood handles?!? Now there's posh for you! :D:eek:

Let us know how you like them as I'm sure many people are chomping at the bit to get a set...not me though...nope...couldn't possibly...but I think a certain Mr. Miliunas could be easily persuaded....hehehe...:cool:

John Weber
01-06-2005, 9:10 PM
Mark,

You dog, Tom had some at the class I took last summer, they are very sweet!

Another LN item that is a joy to use are his screwdrivers, still a bit pricy for me, but I really like them.

John

JayStPeter
01-06-2005, 9:28 PM
Nice. I can't afford the whole set right now, so I ordered the first yesterday (1/8" ... the only size I don't already have in Marples).
Next month, a 3/4" (my most used).

Jay

Roy Wall
01-06-2005, 9:35 PM
They look great! Let us know if you prefer them over a Jet Benchtop Mortiser....

Jim Dunn
01-06-2005, 10:00 PM
Very nice set of chisels if I do say so myself. Now about those cords comming out of the end of them Hmmmmmmm.

John Miliunas
01-06-2005, 10:47 PM
Shot and a SCORE! Those look awesome, Mark! Definitely let us know how you like them. I've still got to get my Hirsch pieces broke in, so no hurry on my behalf. YOU HEAR THAT LOUIS?!:D Anyhow, congrats on the chisels and the stones. Don't know enough about them, but I hear the Shaptons are the cat's meow!:cool:

John Shuk
01-07-2005, 12:03 AM
LN really does make lovely tools. What better way to make items that just beg to be touched than to start with tools that just beg to be held and used?

mike lucas
01-07-2005, 12:28 AM
And to thing I was happy when my wife bought me the Stanley FatMax set:D
Oh well, I try not to do anymore manual work then I have too. So bring on the power tools:o

Mark Singer
01-07-2005, 3:57 PM
I had a chance to sharpen them using the Shapton stones....I tried them on some maple scraps,,,they cut very nice and are very easy to sharpen the A2 steel doesn't seem to make ir harder. They don't get any sharper then my Japanese, Two Cherries, older socket chisels, or the Nootegoten...They all get very sharp! How well they hold an edge is the difference and we will have to see. I am real happy with the Shaptons....it doesn't take long...some I did with a jig...some I free handed...both came out great!