PDA

View Full Version : Mouse Over nuisance

Bruce Page
12-28-2010, 2:21 PM
I visit several websites that are peppered with “mouse over” advertisements. Does anyone know of some software that would effectively let you turn them on/off with a simple mouse click?

Dan Hintz
12-28-2010, 2:32 PM
I use Adblock Plus with FireFox and block the ad site's server... once that's done, there's not even a need to block their Java scripts. TidalTV was an annoying advertiser that hotlinks specific words in the text... completely random from a viewer point of view, it simply linked to whatever products they were currently being paid to advertise. I added their server to my blacklist with a right-click and a verify... done, no more hotlinked adwords.

Art Mulder
12-29-2010, 10:58 AM
I use Adblock Plus with FireFox and block the ad site's server...

+1 on the AdBlock Plus.

Just be aware of the performance and memory hit. I use an iMac and noticed that my Firefox process tends to get very big (ie: over 1GB of memory after being up for a couple days) I traced this back to the AdBlock plugin.

I tried running without it, but it is just too useful to live without. So I just make it a point to quit and restart my firefox program at least every other day, and usually daily. It has gotten a bit better in the past couple months, so I'm hoping the ABP developer is improving his code!

Dan Hintz
12-29-2010, 11:14 AM
Art,

I notice the memory growth with plain FF... been that way since the beginning (though it is significantly better than it was back then).

Art Mulder
12-29-2010, 12:44 PM
Art,

I notice the memory growth with plain FF... been that way since the beginning (though it is significantly better than it was back then).

Dan, try running FF with ALL plugins disabled. Watch it for a couple hours, then compare with them enabled. That is how I found out that ABP sucked lots of memory.
(bear in mind, this is on a Mac. It may act differently on WinXP)

Myk Rian
12-29-2010, 2:27 PM
I've been using Google Chrome. FF got to be so slow with all the updates etc, I don't use it anymore.

Curt Harms
12-30-2010, 7:56 AM
Have FireFox for windows users tried FireFox 4 yet? It's supposed to be a good bit faster than 3.