PDA

View Full Version : small squares

Joel Goodman
12-28-2010, 1:36 PM
I am looking for a smaller square. I have a 12" Starrett combination square which is wonderful -- I am looking for something handier. Choices -- the 6" Starrett (which is pricey); the 4" or 6" Lee Valley (which for the 6" has a smaller "base" to register with) or...? Anyone have experience with the LVs or other ideas?

Russell Sansom
12-28-2010, 1:58 PM
I have a newish 6" Starrett which is, perhaps, the most frequently used tool in my shop, and a 4" Starrett clone. Over the years I have come to prefer the 1" wide blade to the 3/4" very much. In fact, the 4" is now relegated to the sharpening station where it does an excellent job of measuring squareness and taking one for the team ( oxidation-wise ) in the slightly more humid environment of water stones. I often want a second 6" to hold measurements for me.

Rob Lee
12-28-2010, 3:07 PM
I am looking for a smaller square. I have a 12" Starrett combination square which is wonderful -- I am looking for something handier. Choices -- the 6" Starrett (which is pricey); the 4" or 6" Lee Valley (which for the 6" has a smaller "base" to register with) or...? Anyone have experience with the LVs or other ideas?

Hi Joel -

Shoot me an email ( rlee@leevalley.com ) - and I'll give you an offer you can't resist...
:p;):D

Cheers -

Rob

Sean Hughto
12-28-2010, 3:21 PM
Sounds like any other recommendations are likely to be moot, as Rob is gonna fix you up, but I really like my Incra Guaranteed squares in both the 5 and 7 inch.

Mark Baldwin III
12-28-2010, 6:28 PM
I have to stop at the hardware store and check the brand name this week, and get back and post it here. I have 3 squares that are awesome. They are within .0006" (yes...that's 6 tenths). The price is pretty good at about $15 each.

Steve Friedman
12-28-2010, 6:50 PM
Hey, I want an offer I can't also!

Actually, I find getting something square to be the hardest thing to do and aging eyes don't help! While I use a 12" Starrett combination square and have a couple of large Woodpecker squares that I love, there are three small squares that I love - the LV 4" try square, the LV 4" steel square, and the Woodpecker mini square. I also recently got the LV set up blocks and have started to use the large block to confirm squareness. Thought about getting the small Starrett adjustable, but most of what I need can be done with a try square, so I prefer those to the adjustable ones because they're lighter, smaller, and (I think) just feel better to hold.

Steve

Joshua Clark
12-28-2010, 7:53 PM
I love my little 4in. combo square. Not only does it work like a try square, but I also use it as a depth gauge for mortises, and to check tenon cheeks for square and depth. I also like to use it as a rough sort of marking gauge. It's a very useful tool in my shop. Vintage models are very common, but they are highly desirable so they don't go cheap- certainly less than new though.

Josh in CT

Alfred Kraemer
12-28-2010, 11:35 PM
Joel,

As far as the smaller double squares are concerned: I believe the new ones sold by Lee Valley/ Woodcraft/Rockler(not sure) are all pretty good.
They look like the ones made by PEC - maybe they are made by the same manufacturer. I think the Lee Valley 4 inch combo/double squares have the grooves next to the part inside the blade slot where the blade 'meets' the handle - that's a feature of the high quality machinist squares too.
Lee Valley - and the other workworking retailers probably give the accuracy of their squares in their product info.

Alfred

Jim Koepke
12-29-2010, 2:43 AM
My other idea is fixed blade try squares.

My most often used is a 4" Stanley. Bought it used at an estate sale for a buck or two.

My second most used is a 2" bought at a lumber yard new for about $8.

It is all in what you prefer. I tend to favor fixed blades with wooden handles, though the small one is all metal.

jtk

Stuart Tierney
12-29-2010, 3:03 AM
Make one.

I did, I actually made a few of them...

I put one into Woodcentral's toolmaking contest a couple years ago, and never saw it ever again. Some Canadian fellow snaffled it... ;)

I have maybe 5 of them running around in my workshop, and it's stopped me from ever considering actually 'buying' one.

Don Dorn
12-29-2010, 6:31 AM
I've been after a 4" double square. Not having used one, I can't be sure, but it sure looks like it would be very handy. At the moment, I'm using my 12" Starret from LV, but it's a bit cumbersome for quick work. Now that LV has free shipping, I'll probably jump on that as their's looks pretty good. I'm simply trying to decide between 4", or go with 6" for only a couple bucks more. Anyone get 6 and wish they had gone with 4, or the opposite?

David Martino
12-29-2010, 1:30 PM
I have the Lee Valley 4" double square and it's great. Use it all the time, wouldn't be without it... although I don't think I got mine *personally* from Mr. Lee! IIRC Lee Valley has these made to their specs, i.e. it might be a bit more precise than some of the other non-Starrett offerings. I had the Starrett 4" version at the same time but in steel (not chrome) blade and returned it -- LV felt a bit better in the hand, quality seemed every bit as good, and the chrome finish is easier to read, more rust resistant and will take a pencil mark. With this and Starrett 12" combo there isn't much you can't do. I like the adjustable blades since it seems there's always some new way to use/adjust them for a direct measurement, inside outside depth etc...

Don Dorn
12-29-2010, 2:04 PM
I have the Lee Valley 4" double square and it's great. Use it all the time, wouldn't be without it... although I don't think I got mine *personally* from Mr. Lee! IIRC Lee Valley has these made to their specs, i.e. it might be a bit more precise than some of the other non-Starrett offerings. I had the Starrett 4" version at the same time but in steel (not chrome) blade and returned it -- LV felt a bit better in the hand, quality seemed every bit as good, and the chrome finish is easier to read, more rust resistant and will take a pencil mark. With this and Starrett 12" combo there isn't much you can't do. I like the adjustable blades since it seems there's always some new way to use/adjust them for a direct measurement, inside outside depth etc...

Great info - thanks. You just sold a 4" double square for them, will order today.

harry strasil
12-29-2010, 2:42 PM
I guess I am most fortunate, at my smith shop I have 3 of the older 6 in Stanley comb squares, that I used for specific purposes in different operaions, ie, layout, welding, and general use. And I peddled a gentlemans fathers old machinist toolchest to other machinists and he gave my choice of a tool for doing it, I chose the starret 6 inch combo with the V attachment, and then I got an old and very accurate 4 inch English machinists sliding square with no measurements on it. Plus I inherited my Fathers Brown & Sharpe Combo sq with the V attchmnt and also the Angle attchmnt. I have the B&S sq at home in my woodshop now as well as an older #1276 Stanley 6 in combo. I guess that might be one of the reasons some friends call me a "Square Head".

"Ain't Old age Grand!" You get to brag about all the toys you ended up with in ur hayday so to speak.

Todd Hyman
12-30-2010, 11:13 AM
Joel,

Let us know what Rob hooks you up with as I am in need of one as well.

Rob Lee
12-30-2010, 11:19 AM
Joel,

Let us know what Rob hooks you up with as I am in need of one as well.

What - and spoil the surprise for everyone??? :)

It's a product that's coming in a few weeks... and I just happened to have a sample cluttering up my desk.... should have an intro special on them once we build enough stock...

Cheers -

Rob

paul cottingham
12-30-2010, 11:19 AM
it may be redundant, but the 6" LV is my favorite "go to" square. Really handy.

Todd Hyman
12-30-2010, 11:34 AM

It's a product that's coming in a few weeks... and I just happened to have a sample cluttering up my desk.... should have an intro special on them once we build enough stock...

Cheers -

Rob

Can't wait Rob! Anything else we should be looking out for?

Don Dorn
12-30-2010, 11:43 AM

Cheers -

Rob

Wish I would have seen this before the order - doesn't matter though, the one ordered looks like a good one.

Rob Lee
12-30-2010, 11:49 AM
Can't wait Rob! Anything else we should be looking out for?

Hi Todd -

There's always something in the pipeline...

Gave a tour to someone yesterday, and saw several new planes, the first assembled pre-production QR front vises, more chisel concepts, some saws, and other odds and ends...

Timing to market is tough to predict though - as we certainly can't push it all through at once...

I expect we'll find a way to keep y'all interested though...

Cheers -

Rob

Todd Hyman
12-30-2010, 12:38 PM
Hi Todd -

There's always something in the pipeline...

Gave a tour to someone yesterday, and saw several new planes, the first assembled pre-production QR front vises, more chisel concepts, some saws, and other odds and ends...

Timing to market is tough to predict though - as we certainly can't push it all through at once...

I expect we'll find a way to keep y'all interested though...

Cheers -

Rob

You always do Rob! You guys make some beautiful tools.

Mark Dorman
12-31-2010, 1:10 PM
Sounds like any other recommendations are likely to be moot, as Rob is gonna fix you up, but I really like my Incra Guaranteed squares in both the 5 and 7 inch.
I just bought the 7" Incra myself havn't used it yet. I had somthing else in mind but Santa gave me a gift card from Woodsmith store so I went with what they had.
Guranteed square.Mark