PDA

View Full Version : Wipe On Poly and Cold Weather

Bill Bulloch
12-28-2010, 7:57 AM
I have two pieces that I am trying to finish with Clear Gloss WOP, but I can't seem to get them to shine like they normally do. I'm wondering if perhaps all this cold weather is the cause. My shop is insulated, but unheated. And although the temp outside has dipped down in the teens, I don't believe it has gotten below freezing in the shop.

Any thoughts?

Roger Chandler
12-28-2010, 8:13 AM
I have two pieces that I am trying to finish with Clear Gloss WOP, but I can't seem to get them to shine like they normally do. I'm wondering if perhaps all this cold weather is the cause. My shop is insulated, but unheated. And although the temp outside has dipped down in the teens, I don't believe it has gotten below freezing in the shop.

Any thoughts?

Bill,

I had a bit of the same problem. I wonder how old is your WOP? I have noticed the can I have [Minwax] has changed a little from when I bought it back in the fall of last year. It has thickened a little and it has gotten a more amber hue to it as well. My finish is in my unheated, uninsulated building and the weather has been very cold here [down in the single digits overnight and in the teens the last two weeks] I don't know if that is considered acceptable storage of the product or not.

Bill Bulloch
12-28-2010, 8:32 AM
This can of Poly is only a couple of months old.

Quinn McCarthy
12-28-2010, 9:19 AM
Bill,

I have a cabinet in the shop just for finishing stuff. And that is the reason I heat it is because none of those finishes can freeze. Is there a place in the house you could put the finish until the weather warms a bit? Most of the water base finish say on the can do not freeze but when you talk to tech support you find out that once or twice might not hurt the finish. I don't know about minwax. You might want to give them a call.

Up here in the great white north I usually look for warm spells to get WB finished shipped up here.

Hope that helps.

Quinn

Bill Bolen
12-28-2010, 10:21 AM
A cold shop (above freezing) has a big effect on the quality of your finish. While the poly will dry the gloss just is not there. I generally bring a piece upstairs in the comfy house to dry...Bill...

Bernie Weishapl
12-28-2010, 10:32 AM
Bill I have found that if I let my shop get below 50 deg it does affect the drying process. I also do clock repair in a different section of the shop so I just keep it at 65 deg at night and around 70 deg during the day time. My shop is insulated well so my heater doesn't run much even during the coldest days. I do agree with Bill Bolen and IMHO I would bring them in the house to dry. Even gloss lacquer at a very low temp won't have the gloss to it.

Terry Beadle
12-28-2010, 10:40 AM
I've had the same problem with a mixture for BLO ( 50/50 Turpentine and Boiled Lindseed Oil ). I've added japan dryer in the past for poor drying conditions but it still needs a good amount of time to dry properly in 50 ~ 60 degree shop environs. The polyurethane I use says it's ok to apply as long as it's 40 or above. It also says not to thin it. I've found thin coats work better in colder shop temps. During the summer absolutely no issues but if the shop is around 55, I've got to leave it at least 24 hour to get a good surface hardness for prep of the next coat ( usually 320 grit litely used ).

I sometimes put the piece in the air path ( 3 feet or more away ) of the portable electric heater that I use in the shop and it shortens the surface hardening time but that's all.

Finishing is fun so let it take the time it takes. Just my opinion ( as I'm always too interested in seeing the finished product ). Finishing didn't ever seem like fun until I read some books about finishing the finish. Really, it's another shop skill that is not just a brush or a spray can. French polishing is an art and gives such beauty that a poorly made product with a great finish brings more praise than a good mortise and tennon. Especially if it's a blind tennon.

BILL DONAHUE
12-28-2010, 6:39 PM
I have found that wipe on poly looks best and dries best when it's done in a room temperature environment. I too, do my turning in a garage but find it's best to use the WOP in the bathroom or bedroom. (my wife would not approve of this message)

John Keeton
12-28-2010, 7:59 PM
My loving wife permits (even suggests) that I finish my turnings inside during the winter, or damp weather. It will speed the curing time by at least half compared to my 55* shop.

Wally Dickerman
12-28-2010, 8:14 PM
Most finishes are formulated by the manufacturer so that best drying conditions are at about room temps.

Wally

Bob Bergstrom
12-28-2010, 9:20 PM
Gotta wonder if moisture isn't playing a part in the drying process. Something like blushing in lacquer when the humidity is too high??