PDA

View Full Version : Something rotten in Web Browser

Bob Rufener
12-27-2010, 11:59 PM
I use both IE and Mozilla Firefox. Recently, when I use IE the following error pops up for many sites including Google. I know I can use firefox but I'd like to get this corrected as my wife is not really handy on the computer and she is familiar with IE. How do I correct this?????? Thanks for any help.

The website declined to show this webpage

HTTP 403
Most likely causes:

This website requires you to log in.
What you can try:

res://ieframe.dll/bullet.png Go back to the previous page.

res://ieframe.dll/down.png (res://ieframe.dll/http_403.htm#)

Russell Johnson
12-28-2010, 9:25 AM
Go into IE then open Tools > Internet Options > Connections > Local Area Network (LAN) Settings and uncheck "Use Proxy Server for LAN" if you don't have a proxy server. If you do make sure these settings are correct. I've had this issue with some family member likely because of a Trojan virus. I would make sure your virus updates are recent if you don't have anti-virus get Microsoft Security Essentials it's free and very good. Finally I would get spybot search and destroy. Hope you find the issue.

Peter Stahl
12-28-2010, 10:32 AM
To add to what Russell has. Your Proxy setup should be the same for Firefox and IE. You also might want to delete all the temp internet files which you also do from the Tool > Internet Options settings.

Bryan Morgan
12-28-2010, 12:03 PM
If you have a proxy setup that wasn't there before, start running virus/spyware scanners. I'd recommend Malwarebytes, Spybot SSD, ad-aware, etc. Many viruses/spyware run by loading a local proxy on your machine and then setting your proxy in your browsers to run through it to try and capture account logins, credit card numbers, etc.