PDA

View Full Version : Drill Doctor or New Bits?

Mike Tempel
01-06-2005, 8:01 PM
My drill bits are getting pretty dull. I have been looking for a set for a while and just haven't found one that meets my fancy. I thought about the Drill Dr. but have no idea if it is worth it or not. Does anyone have any experiences - good or bad - to share? Or would I be better off just getting a new set of bits? I have a set of cheapo brad points that I never use and my regular bits have that TiN coating I think and have served me well for a couple of years but are now starting to wear down. I also have some Cobalt but usually save the few that I have for metal drilling. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Mike

Ted Shrader
01-06-2005, 8:16 PM
Mike -

I got a Drill Doctor as a present two Christmases ago. I looked at kind of skeptically at first (for about a year and 9 months). I had some dull bits and broke it out a few weeks ago for the first time. Boy, was I surprised. It worked very well. Left a good edge, the correct angle and the web between the two faces did not change.

Chris DeHut in the latest Woodworking at Home video magazine (Issue #12, Sept - Oct 2004) gave a good demonstration of sharpening bits by hand on a fine grinding wheel. Back issues are available.

Regards,
Ted

Lou Morrissette
01-06-2005, 8:54 PM
Mike,

Like Ted, I received one for Christmas two years ago but I put mine to use right away. I had this shameful collection of dull bits that I had been saving for years. The thing realy works great! I've sharpened no fewer than 100 bits with it and it looks like I may have to order a new stone for it. Good little machine. Well worth the money IMHO.

Lou

John Miliunas
01-06-2005, 10:58 PM
Don't have one myself, though I've heard good stuff about them. I also hear that you shouldn't mess with anything less than the 500 model. Could be wrong, but I think I remember folks saying that the 350 (I think that's the model) isn't nearly as good.:cool:

mike lucas
01-06-2005, 11:27 PM
My drill bits are getting pretty dull. I have been looking for a set for a while and just haven't found one that meets my fancy. I thought about the Drill Dr. but have no idea if it is worth it or not. Does anyone have any experiences - good or bad - to share? Or would I be better off just getting a new set of bits? I have a set of cheapo brad points that I never use and my regular bits have that TiN coating I think and have served me well for a couple of years but are now starting to wear down. I also have some Cobalt but usually save the few that I have for metal drilling. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Mike
A lot depends on what you really want.

The drill dr. is very nice (I have the 3/4" big boy one!) But it will not work with spade bits, forstner bits, bits like the Kreg jig bits, bits larger then 3/4", and hand drill bits.

But it will work with all or at least most HSS bits up to 3/4" diameter, many masonary bits up to 3/4" , and carbide tip bits.

If you go through a large number of drill bits, then yes this tool will serve you well. I have sharpened probably 200 or more bits. (Well that includes the one`s I have done more then once.) I find it now, that I never use a dull bit, where before, I'd spend an hour trying to drill a 1/2" hole through the frame of my truck, before I'd ever give in and buy a new bit. Those hour jobs can now be completed in a couple minutes or less.

I would say that the drill dr. for the drill bit, is what the Tormek is to all other types of sharpening.
But it is not for the guy that will never go through $100 worth of drill bits.

Boyd Gathwright
01-06-2005, 11:30 PM
.... Good point John, I'll keep that in mind ;).

Boyd

Don't have one myself, though I've heard good stuff about them. I also hear that you shouldn't mess with anything less than the 500 model. Could be wrong, but I think I remember folks saying that the 350 (I think that's the model) isn't nearly as good.:cool:

mike lucas
01-07-2005, 12:12 AM
I would not recommend the smallest one. The next one up would be fine for those that use lots of bits, but don't go crazy wearing them out. As both of these will sharpen the same size bits.

Another thing about the little one that uses a drill, it also uses sandpaper sleeves, where the others use diamond sleeves. (A huge difference in my opinion!)

I bought the 500, then added the bit adapter for up to 3/4". (At the time I was able to get a much better deal buying it this way, and I knew all along that I needed bigger then 1/2", as I have many bits up to 1 1/2") So I really have the 750.

The smallest drill doctor need a drill as the motor to do the shapening I believe. And I don't like that idea. Plus, if you buy the smaller one, the next day you`d probably need the next bigger size for some reason. Doesn't it always seam to go that way?

Mike Linne
01-07-2005, 8:26 AM
I bought the 3/4" model (750 I think) motivated mainly by job delays that occur when you dull a bit in the middle of a job. You know the scenerio - drilling car frame, bit goes dull, you struggle with a dull bit for 1/2 hour maybe make some progress and a sloppy hole, search for another bit of the right size - find one but it's dull too, waste another 1/2 hour making sloppy holes and tiring out your arm, finally make a trip to buy a fresh bit and come home with a full set of bits to replace one dull bit. Total time expended to do a 15 minute job= 3 hours.

Takes about 2 minutes to sharpen a bit and I haven't had to buy a twist drill bit since I got the "Doctor". Another feature which was an unexpected bonus is the ability to convert traditional twist drill bits to split points. I find the split point configuration much more efficient for metal work than a standard point grind - also seems to bite better (less tendency for bit walk)when drilling into wood on an angle using the drill press.

Doug Shepard
01-07-2005, 8:54 AM
I'm not sure, but I don't think it will sharpen the brad points either?? I just got mine a few months ago, but haven't used it yet. Still waiting on spring for the shop (garage) to warm back up.

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
01-07-2005, 10:52 PM
Of course you could find an old man like me who could show you how to hand sharpen a bit on a grinder in about fifteen seconds and it will cut as well or better than a new bit. But it is not as much fun as spending time on a new rig.(-:

aurelio alarcon
01-08-2005, 2:54 AM
Drill Doctor is on sale at Sears, and if you have a club card you get an extra 10 percent off the sale price.

Brian Hale
01-08-2005, 7:33 AM
My FIL gave me the Model 300 for xmas this year. I told him i didn't need it; i'm a machinist and we have the latest and greatest grinder at work that i'm free to use but he insisted, so..... Anyway, i tried it out on several carbon steel bits (the cheap ones, not HSS) and it did a decent job. The cutting edge was very sharp and the angle was correct.

What i didn't like:
It only does 118 deg cutting angles
The ground surface is a bit too course for my taste
Metal dust goes everywhere even though it has a place to catch it
Only sharpens up to 1/2" bits
Smaller bits require a more consistant hand pressure (this is Not difficult to learn)

On the plus side:
It works as advertised
Simple and fast to learn
Takes about 1 minute to setup the machine and sharpen a dull bit
Small unit will fit in a toolbox or drawer
It "feels" solid, like it'll last for several years and hundreds and hundreds of sharpenings

All in all, its a good basic unit and does a good job. Not for brad points or spade bits, just 118 deg 2 flute twist drills. I give it 4 stars

Brian

Boyd Gathwright
01-08-2005, 10:19 AM
Thanks Brian,

.... I for one appreciate your point of view as a machinist and put a whole lot more stock in what you have to say then I would any advertisement or hearsay.

.... Thanks again for your impartial post ;).

Boyd
QUOTE=Brian Hale]My FIL gave me the Model 300 for xmas this year. I told him i didn't need it; i'm a machinist and we have the latest and greatest grinder at work that i'm free to use but he insisted, so..... Anyway, i tried it out on several carbon steel bits (the cheap ones, not HSS) and it did a decent job. The cutting edge was very sharp and the angle was correct.

What i didn't like:
It only does 118 deg cutting angles
The ground surface is a bit too course for my taste
Metal dust goes everywhere even though it has a place to catch it
Only sharpens up to 1/2" bits
Smaller bits require a more consistant hand pressure (this is Not difficult to learn)

On the plus side:
It works as advertised
Simple and fast to learn
Takes about 1 minute to setup the machine and sharpen a dull bit
Small unit will fit in a toolbox or drawer
It "feels" solid, like it'll last for several years and hundreds and hundreds of sharpenings

All in all, its a good basic unit and does a good job. Not for brad points or spade bits, just 118 deg 2 flute twist drills. I give it 4 stars

Brian[/QUOTE]

Randy Meijer
01-12-2005, 2:01 AM
I have a 250 Drill DR(no longer made) that is apparently the equivalent of the current 300 model. It does a wonderful job on twist drills and carbude tipped masonery drills. I don't use it a lot and may never recoup the cost of the machine in the price of new drill purchases; but it is well worth the money to me because I never use a semi-dull bit any more!! Before DD it was always easier to use a dull bit than to buy a sharp one or try to use one of the other sharpeners that I have that don't work very well.

They no longer make the one powered by an electric drill so that poor option is no longer available to you. I paid about $80 for mine....actually a Christmas present from Lovey and to get the model that would grind split points and 135° points would have been about twice that price. I don't know what current prices are like.....you might see if you can find a deal on eBay or Amazon. Below is a link to the DD web site that will show you how the current models compare. As fare as I'm concerned, the money spent on the DD was one of the best shop investments that I've ever made!!!

http://www.drilldr.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=58&Itemid=76

Clint deal
01-12-2005, 8:24 AM
I think mine is a 250 also. It was about $80 at the borg. Very good buy I think. It seemed everytime I started to drill any metal I was looking for a bit that would cut. No more. If it does'nt cut I pop it in The Doctor for 30 seconds and it's as good or better than new.
Clint

Hal Flynt
01-12-2005, 11:23 AM
My 2 cents:

LOML got me the 300 for my birthday. It took a little time to use it correctly (I actually referred to the "corrections" {directions} and learned how to index the bit in its carrier). I sharpened 80% of my bits in a little over an hour. It works like advertised and it's nice to be able to quickly sharpen the bits in my drill/driver combo set that I use for pilot holes.

Last weekend it paid for itself in eliminating frustration. I had moved my gun safe and was under a time line for date night in getiing it bolted to the floor and everything back in it. I was drilling into a slab floor with my hammer drill and hit a rock. After too long, I hadn't made any progress, so I took the masonary bit out and it was not even close to sharp. I took it to the drill doctor, indexed and put a nice sharp edge on it and finished the job in short order.

Mike Tempel
01-12-2005, 12:25 PM
Of course you could find an old man like me who could show you how to hand sharpen a bit on a grinder in about fifteen seconds and it will cut as well or better than a new bit. But it is not as much fun as spending time on a new rig.(-:
Be careful - I don't live out of driving range and may take you up on that!!