PDA

View Full Version : First Attempt at a Closed Form

Nate Davey
12-27-2010, 8:23 PM
Had a chunk of Osage left over from cutting up my gloat log and wanted to try a closed form. This is my first and I have no hollowing tools...yet, so the inside was done with Forsner bits and my Thompson 3/8 bowl gouge. I tried to keep it round but kind of lost it at the bottom. I tried turing the whole log like in David Ellsworths video #3 and it dried and stretched towards the pith and cracked 6 ways from Sunday. This was taken after the first flood coat of WOP.

Constructive Criticism welcomed.

Roger Chandler
12-27-2010, 8:30 PM
That was a pretty nice turning Nate............too bad it cracked on you the way it did :( I think you did very well with limited tools!

Thanks for showing it to us!

Richard Madden
12-27-2010, 8:34 PM
Looks good, Nate. Sorry about the cracks. What drying procedure did you use?

Frank Van Atta
12-27-2010, 8:45 PM
Good form, especially for your first try. Osage isn't the easiest wood to turn, either. Good job, methinks.

Jim Burr
12-27-2010, 8:50 PM
Nice lookin' form Nate! Get those bowl tools outa there:eek::eek:...safety thing;)

John Keeton
12-27-2010, 9:05 PM
Nate, I think you did pretty well in a difficult setup. I do agree on the dangers of using a bowl gouge, but I am impressed that you were able to do it!! Before I got any hollowing tools, I tried some pretty hairy stuff - some of it worked - some not! When it doesn't, it can be like a grenade going off!

David E Keller
12-27-2010, 9:09 PM
It looks good to me. Osage can be pretty hard and cracking is not uncommon... It sure is pretty wood though. Nicely done.

Steve Schlumpf
12-27-2010, 9:17 PM
Nate - that's really nice - especially considering your lack of tools! About the only suggestion I can offer is to post larger photos. You are allowed up to 800x600 pixels - and if the photo had been cropped in closer to the form - we would have been able to enjoy your turning just that much more!

Faust M. Ruggiero
12-27-2010, 9:34 PM
Nate,
That's a great effort, especially considering you did it all with a gouge and not a bowl scraper or hollowing tool. Don't be discouraged that it cracked. I believe anytime the pith is left in the turning there is a really good chance the the thing will crack. I know the Ellsworth video shows that process with a white oak bowl blank and he also turns it really thin. Maybe the specie and the thickness help avoid checking.
faust

Michael James
12-27-2010, 9:38 PM
Nice one Nate! You were able to get it to the finish line - not all mine are so lucky....see John K's note above. Keep em coming.
Is the monster on order yet??

Nate Davey
12-27-2010, 10:06 PM
Thanks all for the comments and warnings. They won't go unheeded. I have ordered a medium Sorby Hollowing Tool for now. I think I need to sort out my skills before launching into another aspect of turning. If it's any consolation, the bowl gouge had swept back wings ;)

John Keeton
12-27-2010, 10:09 PM
If it's any consolation, the bowl gouge had swept back wings ;)Nate, that is probably the only reason you were able to do what you did!!

Bernie Weishapl
12-27-2010, 10:47 PM
Really a nice looking piece. OO has a tendency if the pith is left in it will crack 7 ways to Sunday. Sounds like you have the tool thing under control.