PDA

View Full Version : Round or small biscuits for thin frames

Joe Watson
12-27-2010, 7:13 PM
Can any one lead me in the correct direction (or method) for joining a 2" wide frame (door(s) for a bathroom vanity) what will be later be edge routed with a design router bit ?

Currently have a biscuit joiner (fraud something, a cheap one) and it will not correctly cut FF slots (ff size will work for this project) - can get the depth by tweaking the adjustment screw, but the width is two wide (wrong cutter dia.), but i think i can make it work.

Been searching around and see that MLSC has round biscuits which seam like they would be ideal, but im alittle hesitant on getting something (biscuits and router bit) that is only produced by one manufacture/source.

So...
Are there any other small/round biscuits out there or a better method about doing this ? I like to "build to last" so i would like something more then just glue and i can see down the road nails or screw will not be an option and i think a small "block" on the back side of the door where the corners join will kind of look like crap once its done.

As you can probably tell, im new to this :)
Any guidance would be great.

_

Don Jarvie
12-27-2010, 8:56 PM
Not sure if its made anymore but Ryobi had a mini biscuit joiner that had small biscuits. The sizes are around 1/2 to 3/4 inch wide.

I bought mine about 15 years ago and it comes in handy when needed. Seems to be what you may need.

Gary Curtis
12-27-2010, 9:02 PM
Small biscuits intended for picture frames are called FF, standing for Face Frame. The biscuits are sold by many makers, such as Porter Cable and Lamello. They will only fit in a slot cut with a special matching size cutter, also called the FF.

Highland Hardware in Atlanta (and on the Internet) sells the FF cutter blade made by Amana. Costing about $50, it will fit into most brands of Biscuit machines. I have one for my Lamello.

Mike Henderson
12-27-2010, 11:11 PM
Small biscuits intended for picture frames are called FF, standing for Face Frame. The biscuits are sold by many makers, such as Porter Cable and Lamello. They will only fit in a slot cut with a special matching size cutter, also called the FF.

Highland Hardware in Atlanta (and on the Internet) sells the FF cutter blade made by Amana. Costing about $50, it will fit into most brands of Biscuit machines. I have one for my Lamello.
You can cut the slot with a slot cutter router bit (use your router table, not freehand). I forget the correct size but if you measure the thickness of an FF biscuit you'll have your answer. A lot better than some special blade for a biscuit joiner - you can use the slot cutter bit for other things.

Mike