PDA

View Full Version : Belt Problem

Dean Fowell
12-27-2010, 5:15 PM
how tight does the belt need to be , on laser engravers I had a bad thing happen while i was engraving a test peice the laser seem to skip and messed up my Job, :mad:

Guy Hilliard
12-27-2010, 9:55 PM
Dean; this could also be caused by having the belt too tight causing the X axis stepper motor to stall and skip steps.

Adjust the belt tension according to the manufacture's specs.

GLENN BRADDY
12-28-2010, 7:18 PM
could this be a weather thing? Cold weather causes the belt to tighten? then create this??

GLENN BRADDY
12-28-2010, 7:21 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v661/gebraddy/shot%20show%202010/14b8044f.jpg
is this a belt problem too?

Bruce Volden
12-28-2010, 7:43 PM
To me this looks like it is a mechanical problem! Gunk in drive pulleys, or a build up of stuff in the valleys of the belts. Does the carriage move FREELY when powered off--no "jitters" or hesitancies across the entire field??? This is my first guess.

Bruce

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v661/gebraddy/shot%20show%202010/14b8044f.jpg
is this a belt problem too?

Russell Ludwick
12-29-2010, 12:50 AM
Dean, maybe my story can help you

I recently bought a used machine and I have been battling a similar problem with one of my belts skipping. After a couple months of diagnosing the problem I determined the previous owners lost one of the nuts used to tension the belt.

After replacing the nut, I used the nut and a set screw to tension the belt. I moved the X axis forward and back, like it was rapiding home at the end of a job. I could feel which side was slipping and tensione the belt on that side. I kept tightening until I did not feel any slippage. Then I squared up and was good to go.

Glen, not sure what your problem is, my laser did do something kind of similar, but it was because I didn't tighten the lens all the way.

Dean Fowell
12-29-2010, 9:35 AM
Thanks Russell,

im going to mess with it today im leaving work soon the phones are not ringing this week so what the heck call it a day ,