PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Else have a PVR/DVR?

Waymon Campbell
01-06-2005, 7:40 PM
Well, finally opened some Christmas presents (late because of the passing of my mom), and Santa brought me a brand new ReplayTV. I promptly hacked it and took out the 40gig HD and put in a 300gig HD. That gives me 100hrs. of recording at High Res! Also networked it over my ethernet network so I can stream recorded shows back and forth from the PC to the ReplayTV and back. Have 300gig HD in the PC to archive shows as well.

This unit replaced my 3yr. old ReplayTV.

I have already set it up to copy any show, any time that contains the word wood! Of course, Norm has his own ReplayTV 'channel' and I never miss his shows on HGTV or local PBS channel.

Matthew Poeller
01-07-2005, 8:32 AM
I use the cable companies DVR but I would like to know more about this REPLAYTV. Where can I find more information on it? I like the fact that you can go from the computer to the unit. So if you have the video on your computer is essence you should be able to burn it to DVD if you had the means right???

Ken Salisbury
01-07-2005, 9:13 AM
My Christmas present to myself was a DVD recorder with 120GB Hard drive ($595.00). I have a Direct TV/Tivo box which has a 30GB HD which I can program to record TV shows using keywords, actors names, etc. I program recordings of movies I am interested from the movie channels (Showtime, Cinemax, TMC, HBO, etc) I have the capability to record 2 channnels at the same time since my Direct TV dish has a dual LNB. After I record the movies on my Tivo box while I am asleep, when I get around to it, I review them and decide if I want to place on a DVD. If so, I upload those I want to preserve to the 120GB hard drive in my recorder. which has high speed dubbing feature (x8) and burn a DVD and subsequenty erase them from the respective HD's.

Since Xmas I have made approximately 80 DVD's, 15 of which I sent to my GS serving in Alaska. the majority of the recording/dubbing activities take place while I am active doing something else, like at this moment I am dubbing "Mystic River" at the same time I am recording "The Searchers" and "Narc" on my Tivo Box . Ain't technology wonderful ?

Waymon Campbell
01-07-2005, 11:22 AM
I use the cable companies DVR but I would like to know more about this REPLAYTV. Where can I find more information on it?

Matt - Try the following:

Web Link has been removed by the moderator.

Rich Konopka
01-07-2005, 12:29 PM
Waymon, Happy New Year !!

You are quite the Hack :D But a good one !!

How is the Program Guide with Replay? What about Commercial Skipping?

I have had Tivo for over 2 years and I like the Program guide and the usage. I wish they changed the layout a bit and allowed more space for the program description while browsing the lineup. They just announced the Tivo 2 Go and I am going to finally hookit up to my home network and give it a whirl.

I am assembling some hardware to build my own Linux Based MythTV PVR. Should be fun !!

Chris Padilla
01-07-2005, 1:31 PM
I'm not too into the DVR/PVR thing or Satellite or TIVO but my mother was going to have the Dish Network installed at her home in Colorado but stopped short when she asked them if she could watch two different channels at the same time and record a third channel.

In other words, Mom wants to watch channel A, Dad wants to watch channel B, and they want to record on channel C.

It seems to me this should be cake. Is it?

Jim Becker
01-07-2005, 1:42 PM
Chris, if I understand the dish thing correctly, with a dual LNB, you can have two devices "watching" separate channels simultaniously with their own receivers. I think she is hosed for the third one without a second dish...

Now, with cable...could be done...

Chris Padilla
01-07-2005, 3:18 PM
Thanks, Jim. That is how I understand things with the dish. However, she was moving to the dish to actually save money but a second dish/3rd receiver *might* not cut...I dunno.

Michael Perata
01-07-2005, 6:52 PM
Chris

I have Dishnetwork and can watch separate programs on the four sets I have wired to the system.

On my main system (with two satellite inputs) I have a PVR921 allowing me to record TWO programs if I am watching a previously recorded program, or I can watch a program on one drop and record another program on the second drop.

Since I use OTA for HDTV (great receiption BTW) I could split the OTA signal and have the PVR record two programs simultaneously while watching an OTA HDTV program.

Curt Harms
01-07-2005, 8:35 PM
Chris, if I understand the dish thing correctly, with a dual LNB, you can have two devices "watching" separate channels simultaniously with their own receivers. I think she is hosed for the third one without a second dish...

Now, with cable...could be done...

It can be done with a dish as well. We have 4 TV's running off one dish. Dual LNB dish and 2 cables,each running into a splitter. Thus, 4 outputs. If You want more than 4 outputs you're outta luck AFAIK. I was fairly fortunate in that our townhouse had cable installed when it was built. The cables for the various rooms all came together in the basement. The cable used in the house is RG58 and satellite companies recommend 'something'6 but I decided to give the RG58 a shot. It works fine. The lines from the dish to the "super splitter" are the type recommended by the satellite provider.

The biggest downside to satellite is one must buy and pay monthly for each receiver. Most TV type stuff come with cable tuners built in. Of course if You want digital cable, You must buy a box for each device, so the cable advantage cancels out.

I hope this helps.

Curt

Chris Padilla
01-10-2005, 2:53 PM
Thanks, Guys. I can't figure out why Dish Network didn't try to upsell my Mom when she clearly indicated that is what she wanted. Now that I have a clearer picture, I've relayed that info to her so she'll dig in further.

Peter Stahl
01-11-2005, 9:06 AM
Matt - Try the following:

Web Link has been removed by the moderator.

Dennis,

I see that you removed the links that Waymon had and I wanted to ask a question about it. If He had just put in something like site BlahBlah.com has a lot of info on this would that have been ok? Is it the direct link that is not allowed? Not trying to question your authority, just want to know what not to do.

thanks, Pete Stahl

Chris Padilla
01-11-2005, 12:06 PM
Here is what my neighbor has. 5 coaxial cables leave his dish!! :eek: He has a sixth one coming from the roof antenna to pick up HDTV.

Ken Salisbury
01-12-2005, 5:36 AM
Dennis,

If He had just put in something like site BlahBlah.com has a lot of info on this would that have been ok? Is it the direct link that is not allowed? Not trying to question your authority, just want to know what not to do.

thanks, Pete Stahl

Answer - Yes to both questions.

No problem questioning what a moderator does :)

http://www.oldrebelworkshop.com/misc/moderator.gif

Kirk (KC) Constable
01-12-2005, 6:48 AM
I'm very confused. I have DISH, with dual LNB. It's been up on the pole for a few years now (four or five), so maybe I'm due for an upgrade...but the PVR thingy LOML bought me (from DISH) was imply a new receiver with built in recording...not an additional/external box. According to the instructions, I can NOT watch one channel and record another unless I hook up a VCR through the unit.

Also, we use a second receiver for LOML's TV room. Understanding was that we might coulda got the signal split to two TVs, but with only one receiver you'd still have to be watching the same channel...which would defeat the purpose in our case. Am I missing a big piece of the puzzle???

Matthew Poeller
01-12-2005, 8:57 AM
Waymon can you just put the name of the site up or PM me. This is something that I am very interested in. (Or just PM me.)

On my cable company box there is a firewire outlet and if I were able to hook that up to my computer like another HD and burn from there that would be amazing.

Do you know what format the DVR's record in???

Matt