PDA

View Full Version : Pierced and Metalflaked Maple Bowl

Bob Bergstrom
12-27-2010, 3:11 PM
This maple bowl is about 3/32nds thin in the wall. I pierced it with a dental drill by simply making comma shapes in different directions. There is a gold base paint applied as a base coat, then poly chromic glitter sprinkled on to a wet coat of clear finish. The red and blue are Transtint dyes mixed in lacquer. The gold rim is painted using Testers gold paint. It is a relatively simple process. The glitter is sanded back after multiple coats of clear lacquer. A final clear coat brings up the gloss. The bowl is about 6" across and 4 1/2" deep. Thanks for lookin'.

Bob Vallaster
12-27-2010, 3:19 PM
Very nice work. I like the glitter and the color transition red-to-blue.

BobV

Jim Burr
12-27-2010, 3:35 PM
Glitter...ehhhh:confused: But the rest is great!! I really like the dye job...good color choice and fade:D. Of the few footed bowls I like, that is my favorite type of foot. Did you airbrush it or...:confused::confused:. Are dental drills commonly available?. Very cool!:cool:

Roger Chandler
12-27-2010, 3:42 PM
Now, that R PRETTY!!! What a beautiful work! That one is an eye catcher for sure, and a turning anyone should be proud to have done! Way to go Bob!

Rich Aldrich
12-27-2010, 4:16 PM
Nice work. It looks like it takes lots of patients to do this type of work.

bob svoboda
12-27-2010, 4:38 PM
Impressive piece. Love the piercings.

Roger Bullock
12-27-2010, 4:57 PM
Nice, very nice. Although this is beyond me skill level, I too would like a little more detail on the finish process. Man that is one good looking bowl.

Dennis Ford
12-27-2010, 6:39 PM
I love it, the beautiful paint job outside and the nice wood inside are great. The piercings are like icing on a cake.

Bob Bergstrom
12-27-2010, 8:31 PM
Start with a bowl sanded to 600 grit. Paint shows scratches better than anything else. Spray a gold or silver base coat on exterior of bowl. I used a air brush to apply the color coat. Rattle can candy colors (available at Walmart) will work, but won't spray as fine as an airbrush. Spray the lighter coat first and blend the darker color into it. If glitter is wanted this would be the time to apply it. I spray a wet coat of clear and sprinkle on the glitter. Most come with holes in the top like a salt shaker. Next comes at least ten coats of clear gloss lacquer over a couple days. I don't spray more than three coats a day and usually wait another day before spraying three more. After about ten coats I will sand the lacquer back with 400 and 600 paper. When it is all smooth, I will give it a last clear coat to bring the gloss back.

John Keeton
12-27-2010, 8:56 PM
Impressive, Bob!! Very nice paint work. Not sure on the glitter, but it does seem to add a flair to the bowl, so I think I like it. Definitely an art piece, and very well executed!

Curt Fuller
12-27-2010, 9:02 PM
I don't often get much of a buzz from colored wood but I have to say that this one is really interesting. I like the piercing too. I'm betting it looks even better in person.

David E Keller
12-27-2010, 9:24 PM
I like this piece, and I think it's well executed. I'm not sure about the glitter, but I think it's well done. I love the contrast between beautiful natural wood and the colored exterior. All in all, I think this is a winner.

Michael James
12-27-2010, 10:24 PM
Bob, that bowl left unadorned would be beautiful, and so thin it's amazing. Add the pierciing and I like it better. I keep coming back to peek again, but Im having a little trouble with metalflake on wood...but as an art piece, who am I to say? All the technical aspects were done very well. Thanks for posting!
Michael

Bernie Weishapl
12-27-2010, 10:38 PM
Bob that is a really nice bowl. Love the thinness, piercing and the paint. I am not a big fan of glitter.

Rick Markham
12-28-2010, 3:25 PM
Bob, I really like the form, and the paint scheme and the form are reminiscent of when cars had flowing curves. I really love the piercing and the contrast of the wood in the interior, the thinness is super elegant. I dig the metal flake, it's probably not something I would attempt, but I think it works. I think it adds to the depth of your finish. It looks like stars. I can't wait to see what you do next!

Doug Reesor
12-28-2010, 8:37 PM
Bob,

I really like the startling effect of lacquering the outside of the bowl and leaving the inside natural. For me it makes it look like a pottery bowl on the outside and wood on the inside. Cool

Doug

Bob Bergstrom
12-28-2010, 9:09 PM
Thanks Doug. Colors and glitter? It is mostly a personal matter of what we like. It is hard to catch the subtle reflections in a picture. This one and another were gobbled up by one of my wife's relative. She had her choice of 6 bowls and went right to the paint and glitter. My daughter prefers the natural look of crotches and burls. I have a lot of maple with little figure so I've been painting them. After 35 years of turning bowls and very little art talent, I'm having fun painting them. Next I am going to play with perl and iridescent colors. Here is a critique at "Turn on Chicago critique" this last summer. Don Derry was exited about it because he uses color a lot. I don't think John Jordan had as much enthusiasm as Derry, but that is understandable.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Gp_I3pbjAw

Marc Himes
12-28-2010, 10:35 PM
I find this to be a very interesting piece. The piercing is highlighted by the color and the glitter adds to the effect. Multiple interesting aspects. Well done.

Marc Himes

Sid Matheny
12-29-2010, 12:09 AM
Wouldn't have though I would have ever liked glitter on a wood bowl but that is A+ all the way in my book. The piercing almost gives it an Asian look to it.

Sid

Michelle Rich
12-29-2010, 2:13 PM
very jazzy..great shape

Rick Markham
12-29-2010, 3:33 PM
After 35 years of turning bowls and very little art talent, I'm having fun painting them. Next I am going to play with perl and iridescent colors.

I would say you have lots of artistic talent, your bowl is fantastic! The painting aspect is really just expanding your artistic horizons! I think it's stunning, and I am interested to see how the pearl and iridescent colors turn out!

Steve Schlumpf
12-29-2010, 3:44 PM
Bob - I've come back to your bowl a number of times - trying to decide if I like the colors and glitter. I think the bowl has a great form and I do like the piercing. Plus you did real good on getting the bowl as thin as you did.

Well - guess the way I look at this color/glitter stuff is that it is different - and we all know that different can be a good thing when it comes to turning! I do like how you layered color on the outside but left the inside natural - creates quite the contrast and after checking the glitter photo for the 50th time - have decided that it is indeed pretty cool! Not sure I would ever do it but I do like how it adds an entirely different dimension of color to the piece. Bet it would look great on display in gallery somewhere where the lighting would really bring everything to life!

Nice work Bob! Looking forward to seeing where this leads you!

Bob Bergstrom
12-29-2010, 5:13 PM
Thanks Steve I've appreciate the thoughts and reply. I have always valued your contribution to all on the creek and how lucky we all are for the time and effort you make toward keeping the creek "flowing" well. I used to paint model cars as a kid back in the 60's and always liked candy apple colors and metal flake paint jobs. It is still fun for me to shine the piece in the light and watch the flakes change colors. They can be quite subtle, or eye popping. I do paint some without the flakes.

Jon McElwain
12-29-2010, 5:36 PM
I definitely like the metal flake. It adds dimensionality to the piece, making it seem deeper than just the surface paint. The piercing the color fading are great. I wonder what it would take to make the paint transitions a little smoother?

David DeCristoforo
12-29-2010, 5:48 PM
I have to say, I really like the "metalflake" finish. Looking at this and the others you posted makes me feel like I'm sixteen again and wandering through a hot rod show! Your "paint jobs" would have made Ed "Big Daddy" Roth proud...

Bob Bergstrom
12-29-2010, 6:34 PM
Those were some great cars. I read too many of those hot rod mags in high school. It was fun to go to car shows and see them in person. The depth of the paint and the colors could never be captured in a magazine:cool::cool:

Mark Hubl
12-30-2010, 11:20 AM
"Hot Rod Bob" nice bowl. I must say seeing and handling these bowls adds to the appreciation of them. They are light as a feather. They remind me of Asian Lacquered pieces.