PDA

View Full Version : Netflix

Rod Upfold
12-27-2010, 3:05 PM
They been doing a advertising blitz here lately...if you have them - what do you think of their service?

Right now we have sat. and I want to drop the movie channels because they are not worth the money.

Thank you

Rod

Mark Bolton
12-27-2010, 3:25 PM
We had netfix for several years (perhaps 6 or so) when they first came out and absolutely loved it. When we gave in to the 200 channel beast we dropped the netflix but are currently in the process of going back to Netflix and are going to do away with our satellite TV all together and opt for over the air stations and Netflix. We have had Netflix back for a bit now and wondered why we ever stopped. Around here your movies land in one day, fast turn around, no late fees/etc.. Great service by us.

Mark

Jim Barrett
12-27-2010, 3:36 PM
Netflix is great...we purchased a Roku player and now stream all of the instant play movies to our big screen surround sound system. It is so good that we dropped our comcast cable to basic service thus saving over $100 a month. There are a few shows my wife likes that we pay for thru Amazon video on demand which streams through our Roku player...it is a great service and I would recommend you try it.

Jim

Gerold Griffin
12-27-2010, 4:26 PM
Like everyone else here so far, I think it is great. Due to the distance to the nearest Netflix center it takes about 3 days from mailing one out until the next one comes in. Plus being able to watch all the instant movies anytime you want, that's just the icing on the cake.

Bruce Page
12-27-2010, 4:42 PM
Very efficient operation. We stream their instant play movies through our PS3 and on to our wide screen.

Matt Meiser
12-27-2010, 4:43 PM
We just dropped them after the latest of many price increases. They want everyone to stream which we can't do due to bandwidth. For the price we can rent a lot at Family Video.

Derek Gilmer
12-27-2010, 4:44 PM
I've been a subscriber for around 4 years now. I strongly suggest a bluray player that can also stream movies. That makes for an incredibly diverse amount of material from them for a great price.

Cary Falk
12-27-2010, 7:15 PM
We have Netflix. I like to stream movies. I thin it is a crock that they don't release movies until a month after they get released everywhere else. I also think they should stream all movies not just a select few.

Jim Barrett
12-27-2010, 7:40 PM
We have Netflix. I like to stream movies. I thin it is a crock that they don't release movies until a month after they get released everywhere else. I also think they should stream all movies not just a select few.

I kinda wonder how/who selects what movies will be "streamable"?? Scratch my head over that sometimes...but for ~$10 a month...it is a bargain.

Jim

Bob Rossi
12-27-2010, 7:42 PM
We've been members for about 6 months, we love it. We get 2 DVD's every week and have streamed numerous more videos via a small Atom based computer and now a PS3 attached to our big screen LCD.
What I like best is the availability of older classic movies and the price just can't be beat.

Ben Franz
12-27-2010, 8:01 PM
Four+ year subscriber. DVD turnaround by mail here is 2 days (e.g. mail on Monday, get replacement Wednesday). Good selection and worth the price IF YOU USE THEM. There have been a few periods where we didn't watch enough to make it worthwhile. I have had some quality issues - damaged/unplayable DVDs - mostly with an older player - not so much since I bought a newer deck. For my money, I think it's a better deal than cable because I watch more foreign and indy stuff than commercial first run releases. Have a little experience with streaming on the computer only.

Derek Gilmer
12-27-2010, 8:16 PM

Not sure on how they pick what is streamable. But from what I've read the 1 month delay was a hard fought battle with the studios. Studios wanted to make more money on sales and thought a delay in netflix was the way to go.

Jim Becker
12-27-2010, 9:50 PM
We have been a Netflix customer for a few years, although we had a period of time that we stopped the service because we were lacking in time to watch anything. We find it a good compliment to our FiOS TV service and also are utilizing Netflix streaming via our Wii. (I plan on moving to an AppleTV to do that in the near future as the Wii doesn't support HD streaming)

Bryan Morgan
12-27-2010, 11:48 PM
They been doing a advertising blitz here lately...if you have them - what do you think of their service?

Right now we have sat. and I want to drop the movie channels because they are not worth the money.

Thank you

Rod

I use it and like it. Had it for a couple years now. Now that I have some decent bandwidth (~35 meg down) streaming works great on my WDTV. To be honest it wasn't too bad even with my old 2 meg line. The DVDs are good and they have a great selection. You have to wait 28 days after the stores get any new releases... that is somewhat annoying if you really want to see a new release. Their streaming doesn't update very often and doesn't have nearly the amount of things you can get on DVD... still, what they do have has good quality and the idea of streaming is great if you have the right equipment. Supposedly the latest price increase is to pay for more streaming content. I guess they only have whatever the license is that Starz has as far as what movies they can show via streaming. Between Netflix, Hulu, and Playon you don't really need to pay for cable or satellite anymore. Just hook a WDTV or something similar up to your TV and off you go. 10-15 bucks for Netflix depending on the plan you go with, (mine is actually like 20 bucks, 3 dvds out at a time) and I think Hulu is like 8 bucks a month. Playon is something like 40 bucks a year. Thats still a lot cheaper than cable or satellite is around this place, with way more content and not many commercials! Lots of content you can't even get on TV (all the internet shows like You Suck at Photoshop, Ask a Ninja, TWIT and stuff like that)

Glenn Clabo
12-28-2010, 7:40 AM
We get it every winter...and have really enjoyed streaming through our BlueRay player this year. The turn around for disks is 2 days.

Bob Rufener
12-28-2010, 8:11 AM
We have used Netflix for over 4 years. Their turn around for movies is outstanding. I can drop a movie in the mail on Monday and receive a new one on Wednesday-postage free. I live in a rural aea so just put it in the mailbox for pickup-no trips to the post office. We stream some through our laptop which works out just fine. Any defective are replaced promptly with no questions asked. My wife and I walk a lot on a treadmill and it is great for viewing videos while walking.

Burt Alcantara
12-28-2010, 5:11 PM
For me, the real advantage of Netflix is obscure movies like Tsotsi, Bad Boy Bubby, Visitor Q, Martyrs, Sin Nombre, North Face, Gozu, Ex Drummer and the like. I can watch a streaming movie and stop to take a leak and continue 2 days later. Most newly released movies, for me, are not watching at all much less the Tuesday they are released so that never bothered me. Besides, I can rent them down the street for $1.50 if I really have the need. I may do that if I don't score "Inception" on Jan 4th.

BTW, my download speed is 5 mb. I had NF a few years ago with 2 mb and it was still good.

Dan Karachio
12-28-2010, 6:15 PM
I have been a customer forever and now I stream on my computer. However, I spent hard earned money for a HD plasma, 5.1 sound and one of the first blue ray players. Streaming quality is not blue ray quality and when me and the wife sit down for movie time, it's nice to have the best possible sound and image. I'm sure this will change, but for now we get the good movies mailed and the old TV type stuff streamed.

FYI, since I have to watch movies my wife likes, there is nothing that compares to a Jane Austin movie on Blue Ray and 5.1 DTX. The clippity clop of the carriage horses moving across the sound field, being immersed in the conversations in the grand ball room, the stunning detail of a hand embroidered gown... truly amazing!

Bryan Morgan
12-28-2010, 6:55 PM
I can watch a streaming movie and stop to take a leak and continue 2 days later.

What the heck are you drinking? 2 days? How long did you hold it in?

:)

Rod Upfold
12-29-2010, 11:38 AM
Thank you everyone...

Rod

John Coloccia
12-29-2010, 3:14 PM
For the LONGEST time I didn't have cable TV, or even an antenna. A couple of years back, we signed up for Netflix. We got the plan that allows us to have one video out at a time, and unlimited streaming video. I have to say that for the price, we've been very pleased and the service has been speedy and reliable. Thankds to a couple of show my wife likes to watch, i.e. the Drinking and Smoking show (Madmen, I believe), we now have cable TV, but mostly we just occasionally watch a Netflix video, either streaming or ordered.

I should qualify this by saying that my TV is hooked up to a Mac mini, so it's incredibly convenient to watch the Netflix streaming stuff.

Anyhow, Netflix seems to have a good model and they're cheap. Anyone who knows me knows that I have almost zero use for television and things like that, but Netflix really seems to have their act together. For heaven's sakes, I can stream Nova documentaries! That's just my opinion.

Steven Hardy
12-29-2010, 11:11 PM
I am fairly new to netflix and use the instant watch function mostly.(directv ...i dropped them after 15 years of rising prices)
I only wish i could download ahead of time due to my dsl limitations.