PDA

View Full Version : Southwest Pottery

Harvey M. Taylor
12-27-2010, 12:08 PM
After finally acquiring the book 'Southwest Pottery" Anasazi to Zuni, I will never lack for different profiles to turn or hollow. Thanks to whoever posted that as their source. Max

Michael James
12-27-2010, 12:56 PM
After finally acquiring the book 'Southwest Pottery" Anasazi to Zuni, I will never lack for different profiles to turn or hollow. Thanks to whoever posted that as their source. Max

We can all thank Steve S. Great book, eh?

Harvey M. Taylor
12-27-2010, 1:03 PM
Okay, if he is the one, Thanks again Steve. Max

John Keeton
12-27-2010, 1:20 PM
Steve Schlumpf would be the one!! And, it is a great book with forms galore! Just like a diving board in the deep end - jump off the end into unknown depths!

charlie knighton
12-27-2010, 2:11 PM
another good book on the southwest is The Orion Zone: Ancient Star Cities of the American Southwest by Gary A. David

it has no real southwest forms, ok maybe one or two baskets and pottery forms, but has a lot info on southwest ruins and ruins around the world connected to Orion

Jim Burr
12-27-2010, 2:39 PM
Southwest Pottery-Anasazi to Zuni

Just ordered on Amazon, used for $12...many more copies available!

Harvey M. Taylor
12-27-2010, 3:06 PM
Jim, bought mine brand-spanking new for 16 frogskins. Great for a plethora of profiles. Max

Steve Schlumpf
12-27-2010, 4:35 PM
Good to hear everyone is liking the book! When I expressed an interest in Southwest forms a few years ago, Jim Becker (Super-Mod) is the one who recommended this book. Remember him saying that Phil Brennion of the AAW had recommended it to him!

Great book with lots of ideas for forms and embellishments! Have fun everyone! Looking forward to seeing how it influences your turnings!

charlie knighton
12-27-2010, 7:03 PM
another good book to read is Painters of the Caves by Patricia Lauber with help from National Geographic Society. i like to contrast this book which i amit is on the elementary school age level with The Orion Zone.

if the petroglyphs of these two areas reflect what the artists saw, just what conclusions will i make, or you make

Bernie Weishapl
12-27-2010, 11:26 PM
My wife got me one from Amazon for $13.71.

Harry Robinette
12-27-2010, 11:43 PM
Hi All
I took a class from Doug Barnes at J.C.Campbell a few years ago( like 6or7) and he told us about that book but I never did get one.May have to ring up Amazon.
Harry