PDA

View Full Version : Laser problems?

Gail LaPorte
12-27-2010, 10:49 AM
First of all thank you very much you have helped me almost everyday!!!!!! My Mercury is having a problem. First it said it was out of paper (lol) now it wont even take a file it's like it's not even connected. I went online to Signwarehouse first thing they said was check the cable and then sent me a e-mail on what they charge for online help.I have changed the cable uninstalled and reinstalled untill I can't even think.I went in here and downloaded a web site that had the driver but have not tried that yet.
Thanks
Penny

Dan Hintz
12-27-2010, 10:55 AM
Kevin Huffman is a member here and a Pinnacle tech... he may be able to help.

Gail LaPorte
12-27-2010, 11:03 AM
Kevin was the one that sent me the e-mail.

Larry Bratton
12-27-2010, 11:40 AM
Kevin was the one that sent me the e-mail.
Hehehe..he MAY be able to..send your credit card number and he'll get started!

Martin Boekers
12-27-2010, 12:22 PM
Out of paper? Make sure you are sending the the laser and not to a printer. It's easy to do.

Kevin Huffman
12-27-2010, 1:42 PM
Out of paper, usually means there is something wrong with either the driver (try un installing/re installing it) or the parallel cable is going bad (Try replacing it).

Kevin Huffman
12-27-2010, 1:47 PM
First of all thank you very much you have helped me almost everyday!!!!!! My Mercury is having a problem. First it said it was out of paper (lol) now it wont even take a file it's like it's not even connected. I went online to Signwarehouse first thing they said was check the cable and then sent me a e-mail on what they charge for online help.I have changed the cable uninstalled and reinstalled untill I can't even think.I went in here and downloaded a web site that had the driver but have not tried that yet.
Thanks
Penny

Sorry about that, I jumped the gun.

After re installing the driver. Make sure you follow these steps.
6. Once this process is finished you will have the name of the laser listed as one of your printers.
7. Right click on your printer, go to Properties.
8. On the Advanced ( with a D ) tab, choose Print Directly to Printer.
9. Click Apply then Click OK.
10. You can use the driver now. You do not need to reboot again.
If this item isn't selected nothing will make it over to the laser.

Yes, Live Chat and Phone is now a paid service but you do always have access to our Standard Support (via Email) for free. Just go to our support website (www.Signwarehouse.com/support) and click the Email support button.

Gail LaPorte
12-27-2010, 2:07 PM
Thanks I will try again .I even have it set up on two different computers so if one of them crashes I always have it backed up. I even tried from the other computer with the cable that goes to my Epilog and still no go. I have followed all the steps, But I will keep trying .
Thanks
Penny

Robert Walters
12-27-2010, 3:32 PM
Gail,

Just curious...

Had everything been working fine before you had this issue?
Did you install any software?
Did you update any software?
Did you uninstall/remove any software?

I only ask so that you're aware of what cause this issue in the future.

Gail LaPorte
12-28-2010, 11:13 AM
Hi Robert, Yes everything was okay I use it about everyday when I am not using my other laser. What I do is mostly all my glass in the Mercury I have a rotary attachment for it I was doing Christmas ornaments . I wish it would fit the Epilog then I would be go to go. I have spent hours uninstalling and reinstalling the driver and the whole program that came with it.
Thanks
Penny

Kevin Huffman
12-28-2010, 11:25 AM
Where you able to get it to work by un installing the program?
Are you still getting the out of paper error or are you now getting a different error?

Robert Walters
12-28-2010, 1:24 PM
I Just noticed that you said you tried this from TWO different computers.

BEFORE you had a problem...

Were both computers setup with the drivers already, or did you install the drivers on the other computer AFTER you had the problem?

IF both computers were setup (and working properly) BEFORE you had the problem, I'd suspect the laser.

Depending on what OS you're using (XP, Vista, Win7, etc)...
If they have "Automatic Updates" enabled, you might want to see if you can find a computer before the last update occurred. Also, if you have any security/firewall/anti-virus software installed, you might want to temporarily disable it and see if the problem continues. It would not be the first time that I've seen Anti-Virus updates do strange things.

You might also run malware/virus checks on your computer(s).

Problems in computers don't just happen at random. Something has changed.

Depending on your technical ability...
As a test, you might try running the computer(s) in SAFE MODE and see if you have the same problem/error message.

Gail LaPorte
12-28-2010, 3:14 PM
Up date!!! Still not working.!!Had my computer guy here he uninstalled and reinstalled with no luck. Also tried on the other computer that I use to run my Epilog with and still no luck. When we open the print document it says Error-Print. The Epilog runs fine from both computers.The laser turns on and sets it self with and without the rotatory attachment. So I guess it's my laser not sure where to go from here.
Thanks
Penny

Robert Walters
12-30-2010, 1:47 PM
Gail,

So you get an error BEFORE you even send the job to the laser?

Gail LaPorte
12-30-2010, 3:18 PM
Hi Robert, No every thing acts the same as before but after I send it a ? mark shows up saying there is a problem then when I open the document queue box it say's Error-Print. I have tried everything I know how to do I even had the guy that works on my computers come and go into all the settings to see if something had switched what port it was on or something. All I know is I was using it one day and the next day that I wanted to use it it wont run. I even tried from a different computer that runs my Epilog and got the same thing the file went just like it always does but never made it to the laser.
Thanks
Penny

Larry Bratton
12-30-2010, 4:02 PM
That sounds so much like a bad cable, but I know you have checked or replaced it, right? Based on what you just said, it sounds like you can rule out a computer problem, as you get the same thing from two different machines.

Dee Gallo
12-30-2010, 4:10 PM
Gail, I am far from knowledgeable but I had similar problems a while back when I was using the USB connection. Once I switched to ethernet, there were no more error messages or acting like there's no connection. With mine, it was one computer/two lasers and one would print, one wouldn't, then both on and off..very frustrating! Now I have two computers networked with two lasers and everyone plays nicely. I only hope your problem is that simple.

cheers, dee

Gail LaPorte
12-30-2010, 5:57 PM
Dee, Unfortunately my laser is an older model and will not take a ethernet like my Epilog will. I guess my next step is to see if i can get a good buy on a used rotary attachment for my Epilog .

Gail LaPorte
01-03-2011, 5:14 PM
Hi every one Happy New Year!!!! First I would like to thank everyone that tried to help!!!!!!!!I had to tell a customer I could not fill there order the first time I have had to do that was not easy I am so glad that they know it was not me it was the equipment! Well mercury is still not up and running.Computer guy had no luck finding any thing wrong with the computer. Still does the same thing when I send it stay's in the print queue box and say's Print-Error. It never makes it from the computer to the laser.It's like there is no laser hooked up. I have tried from both computers with six different printer cables and both Laser master and Corel draw.I have uninstall and reinstalled the driver and still no go.So now I am looking for a rotary attachment for the Epilog so I can do there order.
Thanks
Penny

Larry Bratton
01-03-2011, 5:55 PM
Gail,
Is it possible that your parallel port connection went south on you? I assume this is a Windows computer. Just a thought,you might try installing a new card in a PCI slot with a parallel port connection on it. I have a plotter that would not recognize the parallel port at all on the computer. It also has a serial port connection capability. I bought a new PCI card and installed it, plotter worked with it first time. If I am looking at the right specs, a Mercury Pinnacle also has serial port capability. Some of the newer computers don't come with them, but if you have one on your computer, try it. You may need to determine the port info.

Kim Vellore
01-03-2011, 8:16 PM
Looking at all the things you tried

1) Replaced cable
2) Tried a different computer
3) Tried updated driver in your computer

so you can rule out your cable or computer hardware problem and your driver too for now.

That leaves you with the hardware or the firmware in your pinnacle, try to disconnect your cable and send a print command to see if you get the same error. Most likely not because there is a signal coming back from the laser saying it is out of paper, which could mean there is a hardware fault that the laser is trying to report with some spare IO signals. Pinnacle of all should be able to tell you what the problem is if that is the case, Or the parallel port hardware/firmware is toast/corrupted in your pinnacle that it is sending back wrong signals. IF there is something like updating the firmware in your pinnacle you should try that if that does not work in this case you might be stuck with having to get support from pinnacle, unless some other pinnacle owner has had the same problem and can document it here.

Kim

Richard Rumancik
01-03-2011, 8:43 PM
Larry suggests the serial port - the older Mercury's do have both parallel and serial. If there's a serial port, at least trying to connect with serial would bypass the parallel interfaces and parallel cable completely. Serial is a bit slow for normal use but I think you are trying to rule things out one by one and this might be a worthwhile test. If the parallel interface blew on the mainboard, you might be able to find a technician to troubleshoot it as it is not really proprietary like most of the mainboard.

Gail LaPorte
01-04-2011, 8:45 AM
I was told yesterday that if I try a Print server and go ethernet that might fix it. Has anyone done that to bypass the parallel port?I have a e-mail out to Signweahouse I have told them what is going on and what I have tried. I also asked about the print server. The good news is my Epilog is just like new it now has auto focus ,new motor that keeps the table level and a new tube. Oh did I mention that in less than a week the epilog,mercury and the heat press all went with in days of each other. On a good note I am part way up and running.
Thanks to everyone that has helped me try to solve the problem with the mercury.
Thanks
Penny

Gene Hobbs
01-04-2011, 10:35 AM
Well good luck getting it up and going. First off I can't believe they are charging for customer support now. What a joke. Every time I would call all I got was an answering machine. If you do a search you will find my dealings with signwharehouse. In fact I see they have dropped the brand laser I had bought from them. Your Epilog is your best bet. Never had a problem with mine since I got it. Anyway good luck on getting it up and going..

Richard Rumancik
01-04-2011, 1:04 PM
I was told yesterday that if I try a Print server and go ethernet that might fix it. Has anyone done that to bypass the parallel port? . . .

Hmmm - I can't quite figure out what they mean by that. I am not an IT person, but to me a print server allows multiple computers to talk to multiple printers (devices). If you normally have one computer, the print server can then connect to multiple printers (lasers). So you COULD have ethernet from your PC to the print server, but how do you get the print server talking to the laser without using the parallel port? You can only bypass the parallel port on the laser if there is another way in - you said there is no direct ethernet, but did not mention serial availability.

Larry Bratton
01-04-2011, 1:15 PM
Right on Richard. Serial port would be the only other way.

Rodne Gold
01-04-2011, 1:27 PM
Check the ram on the motherboard - take it out and reseat it - use the dignaostic mode to run a ram check - can't remember the sequence to do it , maybe switch on whilst pressing start - I'm not at work - on leave so can't assist with this - someone else can. (iI'm old , my memory is bad)

Gail LaPorte
01-04-2011, 2:39 PM
Hi sorry I left out a sentence. Yes there is also a serial port. the thing they mentioned lets me plug the ethernet into the laser I am also going to switch it from parallel to serial then print server. Has been a long end to December and January has run all together.
Thanks
Penny

Richard Rumancik
01-04-2011, 8:15 PM
OK, good; you have a serial port. But why complicate things during the testing process? I would still suggest that you run the serial cable DIRECT from the PC to the laser and see if you can get some communication going. What exactly does the print server buy you? Did you want both lasers attached to the single PC? If so, get the Pinnacle working on its own, and then build on that.

Another thought as to troubleshooting the parallel port - it is possible that the Centronics parallel-port connector on the laser is damaged. (You said you did try a different parallel port cable from PC to laser, with no difference.) But if the connector on the laser is bad, it might not communicate properly. On my Mercury, the mainboard has a two-row header (I think maybe 34 or 36 pins) so there is a short flat-cable harness between the mainboard header and the connector mounted on the sheet metal. If the Centronics connector has been damaged, then this short jumper could be replaced at low cost. (Maybe also check both the laser-side and cable-side connectors visually and see if you can see anything amiss. But note that it could be bad and still look okay.)

Richard Rumancik
01-04-2011, 11:06 PM
Check the ram on the motherboard - take it out and reseat it - use the dignaostic mode to run a ram check - can't remember the sequence to do it , maybe switch on whilst pressing start - I'm not at work - on leave so can't assist with this - someone else can. (iI'm old , my memory is bad)

Not a bad idea of Rodne's. Do you have a manual for your machine? If so try to find the section called "Hidden Diagnostic Procedure". If you don't have a manual you can download one. I can't say for sure for your machine because I don't know the model, but for the Mercury, here is the procedure Rodne refers to: To get to the Diagnostic Procedure, you press-and-hold the "start/stop" AND "Pause", then flip the power on till you see messages. Then release. Then there will be a message "to start hardware function, use function key". It might do an SRAM check automatically. I am not sure where the SRAM resides and what it does. (You might want to do all the tests while you are in the test routine.) There is a DRAM test later in the sequence you need do. The DRAM is the pluggable memory. If it fails, reseat it. If it still fails, find a computer friend with a big junk box of old memory sticks, circa early 1990's. (486 memory sticks)

If you call in a technician or computer-savvy friend to help it would be a good idea to have the manuals printed out for reference or at least available as a pdf on another PC.

Another thing about setting up the serial port protocol - the manual has some info on the necessary PC settings. Basically the defaults are 57600 baud rate, 8 data bits, no parity, 1 stop bit, flow control = none. You can change some of these in the laser in set-up mode but I think if you don't change anything on the laser end this is what the PC will need when you configure the port.

For parallel config, the manual says use Standard, SPP, or Normal mode, but not EPP or ECP modes.

Gail LaPorte
01-05-2011, 7:24 PM
Thanks to everyone, I went into the Diagnostic mode This is what the settings said 16 mega Spam -Ok. 16 mega Dram . Serial Port type a-z 1-9 from host computer. Laser source is off ( Not sure what this means), power + ^ ^ on : enter power 50 . I went and got a serial I/O card today and a serial cable so next step is adding that to the computer so I can try the next step.
Thanks
Penny

Gail LaPorte
01-08-2011, 3:24 PM
Hi, Thanks again for everyone that has tried to help me out.I got the serial cable and still a no go. I sent a e-mail to Signwarehouse and I guess they are still on holiday or it takes more than a week for them to read and respond.I don't know where to go next.I do a lot of glass's and round stuff . So now I am looking for a rotary attachment for my Epilog24TT don't care if it's used or new as long as it works.
Thanks
Penny

Larry Bratton
01-08-2011, 7:38 PM
OK Penny, one more thing. When you installed the serial port did you configure it per the settings that Richard posted for you?
"Another thing about setting up the serial port protocol - the manual has some info on the necessary PC settings. Basically the defaults are 57600 baud rate, 8 data bits, no parity, 1 stop bit, flow control = none. You can change some of these in the laser in set-up mode but I think if you don't change anything on the laser end this is what the PC will need when you configure the port."
If not, the machine can't communicate with the port. To set this, go to Control Panel and navigate to System/ Device manager. Under Ports-find the port you installed in the list, right click, open Properties. There should be a Tab there for Port Settings that will allow you to enter this info. You will probably have to re-boot. You may also have to tell the laser which port it is looking for. This stuff is not plug and play so manual set up is required.
If this doesn't help, it's beyond help from me. Sorry for your problem, you have given it a good try.

Gail LaPorte
01-09-2011, 9:59 AM
Hi ,Thanks sounds like my computer guy will be coming back to visit and help set this up.
Thanks
Penny

Larry Bratton
01-09-2011, 12:08 PM
Penny:
Don't forget to configure the driver to the port also. Control Panel/Printers/ select the print driver, right click, Properties and then the Port settings. Now, the print driver knows which port to use, the computer has the right flow (assuming the protocol info is correct), so it should now communicate with the lasers serial connection.

Richard Rumancik
01-09-2011, 11:29 PM
Penny, the serial settings I supplied are what are shown in the Mercury manual. I am still making the assumption that your machine is nominally the same as the Mercury but you will have to double check by getting a pdf of the manual is you don't have it already. It will be more efficient for your tech help if you have all the info at hand. I don't want to have you waste time in case I gave you info that is not for your machine . . .

Your computer guy can help you set up the laser just like it was a serial printer. When you print to the laser you need to make sure you are using the serial port version to output the file not the old parallel port. Are you using XP? If so, to elaborate on what Larry says, the port itself is set up by going to Control Panel -> Hardware -> Device Manager -> Ports (COM+ LPT) Select COM1 for the laser; ->Port Settings and enter the settings I gave or else from your manual. Since you already had the Pinnacle installed as a printer it probably would have been on LPT1 (which is the first parallel port). Did you change it to COM1 when you attached the serial cable? You can check by doing this: Control Panel ->printers -> double-click on Pinnacle or whatever name you called it -> click Printer -> Properties -> ports. Then make sure COM1 is checked not LPTx. This will force the laser to use the COM 1 port using the settings configured earlier.

To make it more complicated, the laser allows some setup parameters via the panel. I'm sorry but I don't have the info at my fingertips but I recall that you can set the baud rate, data & parity on the laser control panel using the function key. Ideally, the laser will default to the ones I gave if nobody has played with settings previously, but to be complete have your technician check that they indeed do match the values previously set at the computer for COM1.

Now if you still can't communicate with the mainboard then I'm afraid it is something past the communications link that has gone bad. That would probably mean a replacement mainboard. Let's hope not . . .

Gail LaPorte
01-11-2011, 12:31 PM
After having no luck with using the parallel port - installed and configured a serial port, with same results. Am leaning now to the possibility the problem may well be the motherboard. Does anyone know where I might be able to purchase one? The manufacturer's site is not helpful, can't find anything relating to ANY spare or replacement part!

Richard Rumancik
01-11-2011, 10:38 PM
Sorry you were not able to get it running.

I would suggest that you contact technical service at GCC America and tell them your story. Perhaps they can suggest something to try. They might put pressure on your rep or just take over. They should have mainboards available for your unit. Sorry but I don't have a name of a contact person.

http://www.gccworld.com/
GCC America Inc.
323 Paseo Tesoro,
Walnut, CA 91789,
USA
Tol-free Number :
+1 888 284-5211
(US/Canada ONLY)
Tel : +1 909 718-0248
Fax : +1 909 718-0251
sales@gccamerica.com (sales@gccamerica.com)

Gail LaPorte
01-12-2011, 11:58 AM
Hi, Thanks Everyone that has helped me. Kevin Huffman called me with a part number for the Maineboard and where to call to get one. GCC America had new and refurbished new was $800. refurbished was $268 I have to send them mine but that's okay. So now I just sit and wait and then I get to try installing it and hope for the best. There is no way to tell if this is even the problem but I have to try something I have tried every thing everyone has suggested. So now I have parallel and serial to pick from.Thank you all so very much.
Thanks
Penny

Larry Bratton
01-12-2011, 12:20 PM
Penny,
At least the right sequence was followed as far as trying to find a solution. The simplest and least expensive things were tried first. So, maybe the board is what it is, if so, it's like you said, you can now use both methods of connection. You also now have a serial connection on your computer, for whatever that might be worth (not too many things use that technology any more, but maybe an older plotter or something). Good luck with the board.

Robert Walters
01-12-2011, 12:58 PM
Hi, Thanks Everyone that has helped me. Kevin Huffman called me with a part number for the Maineboard and where to call to get one. GCC America had new and refurbished new was $800. refurbished was $268 I have to send them mine but that's okay. So now I just sit and wait and then I get to try installing it and hope for the best. There is no way to tell if this is even the problem but I have to try something I have tried every thing everyone has suggested. So now I have parallel and serial to pick from.Thank you all so very much.
Thanks
Penny

Hi Penny,

Glad you found a reasonable ($285) solution.

I would suggest you avoid serial if you can for everyday usage.
It's slower than parallel and has many more settings that need to be "just right".

If you laser supports it, you might get a "Parallel to Ethernet" print server instead.
One example: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833156026

It will allow you to use your network (LAN) to send jobs to the laser from ANY computer you have in the office.
So you can be sitting by the pool sipping Margaritas while designing you next creation on your wireless laptop,
send the job to the laser, and have the cabana boy just swap out the material and press the START button =)

Gail LaPorte
01-12-2011, 6:03 PM
Hi , Maybe that's next . I just want my laser up and running first.
Thanks
Penny

Gail LaPorte
03-20-2011, 10:48 AM
Up Date on the laser
After Kevin gave me the information on what mainboard I needed and the phone number for GCC America. They tried to go in to my computer and up date every thing did not help. So they sent me another mainboard still no laser. They sent me a second mainboard still not working.So I sent them back with the one that was already in mine when they sent it back still does not work.So they gave me the phone number to JoLink in NC. they tried the same thing going in and trying to make the laser run still no laser.Now both company's are saying I have two options pay all the cost for them to come to Maine or ship it to them.Does anyone know of someone closer to Maine that can work on a Mercury/Pinnical laser?

Rodne Gold
03-20-2011, 11:45 AM
One thing you can also try , albeit it seems as there is no connection tween this and your problem, is replace the lcd panel on the machine. We did have issues with the mchine when this went faulty , it still displayed stuff but was the cause of seemingly unrelated stuff

Richard Rumancik
03-21-2011, 3:14 PM
Gail, this must be frustrating. Before you spend a thousand dollars getting a GCC person in, I would suggest you get the computer guru back (if you think the first guy knew what he was doing) or else get a new person in. Then double check the entire setup in Windows, verify that printer driver is installed properly, (and that you have the right one), swap cables one more time, maybe try another PC, try both serial and parallel once again. You could do a lot in a couple hours I think. If GCC or Jorlink could not find anything wrong with the setup then it is very puzzling. I assume they were using Remote Access to look at your PC? I'm guessing that control panel would cost less than $200 - maybe they have a refurbished one for you to try? It would not be hard to swap it in.

You have told us it is still not working - but what exactly WILL it do? What are the symptoms? Any indication that the PC is talking to the laser at all or does it just ignore the incoming files? What version of driver are you using and what version of firmware? Does the laser itself seem to be booting normally?

When you replaced the mainboard (numerous times), did you use the same RAM each time or have you tried different RAM?

There are two other memory chips on the mainboard. I can't remember what they are called, but I believe that they are the ones that hold the firmware. (In mine they are marked O and E for Odd and Even. I don't have my manual handy here). When you got new motherboards, did you get those two chips already installed or did you have to move the old ones? I recall when I replaced my MB I had to move these 2 chips - which I think is not the best, as I would prefer to get a tested, working board from the service depot.

Gail LaPorte
03-21-2011, 5:03 PM
Hi Richard, This PC will run my Epilog and all my other printer's. What it's doing is not showing up at the laser at all. I have tried a different computer and still will not work . I have switched out cables and even got new ones both Parallel and serial. I even put in a new serial port . Both GCC and Jolink have tried to get it to work from a remote computer and updated all the files and drivers. GCC said they put it in the same model laser and tested it and it worked fine.When I sent them the Main Board I sent it in tact and when it came back it was ready to go or so they said.I am going to try getting the control panel next.

Richard Rumancik
03-22-2011, 7:10 PM
Just some thoughts.

You say the PC will run the Epilog. Are you running the Epilog on LPT1 (parallel port 1)? If so what do you have the Pinnacle set to - is it LPT2? I would suggest you try to run the Pinnacle on LPT1 if it is not already. You have to be sure there are no conflicts with other devices going on. If I was doing it I'd probably use an install with ONLY the Laserpro installed on LPT1 and no other printers/devices until I got it talking.

Since your laser must be booting then I would expect that the firmware chips (flash memory Even and Odd) are working fine.

But I would try to change the DRAM memory stick. I think you have a 16 MB. Even if the diagnostic says it is okay I'd try to find a 4 MB or a 16 MB stick of the same series you have. If you carefully remove it, a computer guy could probably dig something up. I mentioned this in a prior post; not sure whether you pursued this avenue. It is identical to memory used in 486 PCs in the 1995 era. I have in my notes that it is "fast paging" but a tech can figure out a match from the numbers on the existing stick. Handle the stick with care as it is all you have at the moment, but try to find a couple options and try them in the right DRAM slot (SIMM0). (Since you can't easily check the integrity of the old memory I'd just try sticks in sequence with the presumption that one might be good. If it doesn't work after three tries it is probably a dead end). If so revert back to the original.

Examine the parallel port cables I have highlighted and make sure they are plugged in correctly. Examing the cables themself and check there is no visible damage to parallel and serial cable stubs inside the laser.

All I can think of at the moment . . .

Terry Swift
03-22-2011, 7:39 PM
Gail,

While I don't own a Mercury - my older ULS did the same to me - Error-Print - in the print box; after pulling the Parallel to USB cable from my laptop and then when I reconnected - it was in a different USB slot. Very critical that the printer be set up on the correct port or the print will not go thru. I'm sure if you had remote support, hopefully the guys checked that. I ended up having to the delete the printer and "also" remove it from the Server Properties Page. Don't do that and Windows does as Windows does - it screws itself up. Once all deleted (I'd reboot to clear everything just in case); make sure the printer is reinstalled and correctly connected - whether USB, creating an IP address to properly match it to it's location, or parallel port location. I would hope that Tech Support would have gone thru all the steps; but you never know exactly what they do or don't do (remotely). Some Tech's are very knowledgeable; but when working with parallel and much older equipment - many today don't have those skillsets.

I did not see whether you were running strictly parallel to parallel (local port)? If parallel to USB, as not any PC's made today have parallel capabilities; then those cables are "extremely" finicky and most times don't work. Also long stretches of cable are not good in USB mode. If your printer is parallel and your PC doesn't have a parallel slot in it - I'd go to a computer store and buy a parallel card to attached the parallel cable to. They are harder to find these days; as many don't use that technology anymore.

Richard Rumancik
03-23-2011, 11:53 AM
Gail doesn't have USB, just serial and parallel and she can't get either to work.

Gail, are you using XP SP3?

Ok, thinking more about it, if the mainboard has been swapped 2 times with no help we'll hope that we can rule that out. So if neither serial and parallel work (assuming correct config on the PC end) we'll assume cables are okay. Plus you changed those a few times.

So I still am thinking memory. If there is no memory (DRAM) at all, the laser will boot up fine. The PC will send the file; it will show up in the print queue as pending; after 2 or 3 minutes it will time-out and you will get an error saying "this document failed to print". I know this, because I just pulled my memory stick and that is what I saw. So if there is no memory on the receiving end (laser) to accept the file, the laser won't respond or do anything. This is for a Mercury 1 circa 2001.

Now if it is bad memory instead of missing memory, I don't know what it will do but it's conceivable that bad memory might act like no memory in some cases.

Did the GCC motherboards you tried have 16 MB DRAM already in when you received them? (I assumed they came with the 2 flash chips - Odd and Even - or you couldn't boot at all.) Or have you been using the same 16 MB stick for all the tests? If they gave you new board AND new DRAM (and it still failed to work) then maybe I am on the wrong track. But if it is the same 16 MB stick all along, then you really need to rule it out as a possibility by swapping in something else.

If you are changing the DRAM this kind of memory does not come out straight. You need to gently release the clips and rock the stick 45 degrees to the side (toward the edge of the board.) Then when replacing you put it at an angle, and rock it back to vertical to snap in. I almost forgot about that as I haven't changed any 486 memory recently . . .

Rodne Gold
03-23-2011, 12:07 PM
Gail you might as well try this , you will see a plug on a ribbon cable that goes to the LCD panel , unplug it where it enters the LCD panel and replug it , do this one or 2 times , as well as doing this , you will see a black wire from the lcd panel going to a screw that earths it to the chassis of the machine , loosen and retighten this screw