View Full Version : Best Glue for Redwood

Jackson Abbey
12-27-2010, 10:01 AM
Hi everyone. I'm a new woodworker and my first project is a redwood lattice. It's bit of a french door design using ogee window sash and rail router bits. For the joinery, I plan to use my Festool Domino with sipo tenons. My internet research on the best glue to use has shown there can be problems. I've read there are issues with Titebond or the glue just soaking in, etc..

It'll be outside, of course, it's going to get wet. I don't wish to treat it, either. I really like redwood when it grays. What do you guys recommend? Gorilla glue? I hope we're not going to require some fancy marine epoxy.

Howard Acheson
12-27-2010, 11:23 AM
I have built outdoor redwood stuff using a Urea Resin adhesive (Weldwood/DAP Plastic Resin) and Titebond III. Both have held up well and neither presented any problems during construction. I would probably opt for the TB III for a future project.

Mike Hollingsworth
12-27-2010, 11:50 AM
I made a mortise and tenon redwood gate for my trash yard. That was the LAST time I'll ever use Gorilla Glue.

Jackson Abbey
12-27-2010, 12:51 PM
See why I'm confused? Some people have criticized Titebond III and recommended Guerrilla glue. Do you think I need treat the surface with mineral spirits before applying glue?

Rich Dill
12-27-2010, 6:50 PM
Any type III aliphatic or PVA WOOD glue will be fine. Gorilla glue is awful, don't use it unless you enjoy scraping foam off of everything. We make wood countertops, including wet tops and only use type III glue. Once type III sets up you can soak the joint in water and it won't come apart. We use a brand called Wood- Stik.