PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else wrap their handles?

John Coloccia
12-27-2010, 7:35 AM
Anyone else wrap their handles with tennis racket overgrip tape? I have different colors and patterns on mine so I can easily tell which is which just from the handle. I found it makes all the difference in the world for comfort and control.

John Keeton
12-27-2010, 7:50 AM
John, I have athletic tape on some of my flatwork tools, but not on my turning tools. I have turned nearly all of my tool handles, and they were turned to a comfortable diameter. Since I have rather small hands, I think the added diameter would not work for me. But, it is something to consider for future handles.

As far as associating colors with specific tools, I keep all my tools in a rack, in order, and usually have only one or two down at a time. They are very close to my lathe for quick access. Given what I have seen here, seems I do not have nearly as many tools as most turners!!:confused: I feel somewhat inadequate!:o

Thom Sturgill
12-27-2010, 7:59 AM
I keep my gouges in a rack with the sharp end up - so I can see what I'm reaching for. I will pull the two or three that I expect to use and place them on the box thats between the legs of the lathe. I haven't had any problems with grabbing the wrong tool yet! As far as cushioning, I have noticed that many, if nit most, of the after-market handles are padded so you may have something there - I have not tried using a padded handle yet.

Cathy Schaewe
12-27-2010, 9:54 AM
I have a number of Paul Bennett's handles, which are padded - http://www.thewoodworkersnetwork.com/ - in fact, they're on all of my thompson tools. They're very comfortable.