PDA

View Full Version : What did Santa bring ya

Charlie Reals
12-27-2010, 7:19 AM
He showed up here with a hold fast vacume chucking system. Oh my my, as I stood watching the video, and glancing at some of the jigs I have made, I smiled and looked at my knuckles and sang Oh Merry Christmas to me!!!:cool:

Thom Sturgill
12-27-2010, 7:49 AM
I got a curved robust tool rest - designed for bowl work. Its larger than anything I've turned to date, but I think it will be a nice addition to the set.

John Keeton
12-27-2010, 7:53 AM
Charlie, you will love the Holdfast system! Ms. Keeton and I do not buy for each other, as our children and 14 grandchildren sort of rule Christmas. Neither do we let the children buy for us, so Santa brought me some special times with the kids and grandkids, some neat sleighrides, and way too much food!!

Gary Max
12-27-2010, 8:11 AM
I bought the wife new living room carpet and she got me a Dyson. We kinda overspent this year.

Lee Koepke
12-27-2010, 8:31 AM
I got a new recliner ... mine, albeit comfortable, is probably 15 years old and has lived a good life. It will now be retired to the basement for (future) big screen football viewing only.

I dont usually ask for many tools, as I have a specific need and its hard for them to get the right stuff, but I did get a couple of new 36" clamps and a parts / tool box so I can keep my small turning items ( bushings, bits, MM pads ) all in a organized area.

and .... best of all .... we got SNOW! Sounds weird for some of you, but in my 40ish years, I have never had a "White Christmas", so it was pretty cool for me!

Mike Svoma
12-27-2010, 8:33 AM
I got the Jimmy Clewes "Turning the World" 3 DVD set and 45 assorted pen kits. I better get busy making pens.

Rich Aldrich
12-27-2010, 8:41 AM
My wife doesnt like to buy tools for me because she wants to have some surprise. I always tell her that means I will buy tools through the year. She is OK with that.

Anyway, for Christmas she bought me a digital camera because I always borrow the kids cameras for shop pictures.

Two of my (college) kids had to work at the paper mill on day shift, so we didn't celebrate until the afternoon.

Charlie Reals
12-27-2010, 8:44 AM
Lee and John, we are the same way, I kept looking at the hold fast and finally figured it would be like when I came into the 20th century and bought a finish nail gun. I got it overnight for less than I coulda drove to Sac.for. Santa brought me a prime rib dinner and a letter from a grand kid in the middle east.

steven carter
12-27-2010, 9:27 AM
After abusing my 18" Poulan for years, my wife got me a Husqvarna 455 Rancher (20" bar), as Tim the Tool Man Taylor would say "arg arg arg".

Greg Just
12-27-2010, 9:29 AM
I received David Ellsworth's book on Woodturning and Bob Flexner's book on Wood Finishing. Both look very good.

Gerold Griffin
12-27-2010, 9:33 AM
My wife got me all set up to start turning pens, the kids got me a couple of sets of allen wrenches that look pretty good, and couple table saw blades. But far and away the best part was watching my youngest grandson walk. He was born with some challenges, had three operations by the age of two and is just fine now. However all the hardships he had did slow him up in alot of his developing so he just started walking a few months ago. So far and away the best Christmas present ever was watching that boy tear up the floor!

Scott Lux
12-27-2010, 10:04 AM
The folks send money every year. This year they got me a Trend Airshield Pro.
The Mrs got me a Sorby Micro Spiral kit, backordered, and a $25 gift card to Woodcraft.
The boy got me the 9" wire burner set.
And I think the Rikon 10-305 bandsaw is in the near future. It is 15% off Jan 8th at WC. Would certainly be a major step up from the 10" Crapsman I have.

Brent Grooms
12-27-2010, 10:07 AM
I received a really nice one... Thompson bowl gouge and handle... WOOHOOO

Roland Martin
12-27-2010, 10:24 AM
Charlie, you will love the Holdfast system! Ms. Keeton and I do not buy for each other, as our children and 14 grandchildren sort of rule Christmas. Neither do we let the children buy for us, so Santa brought me some special times with the kids and grandkids, some neat sleighrides, and way too much food!!

Ditto, although not that many grandchildren:)

Bernie Weishapl
12-27-2010, 10:52 AM
My wife and I also don't buy for each other because the grandkids are our Christmas. So our gift is spending time with them which is as precious as it gets. Oh and the other gift was the great food which I ate way, way to much of. Oh well a few more minutes of exercise will take care of that.

Gene Hintze
12-27-2010, 12:02 PM
I received an Easy Wood Tools hollowing tool, some shop lights and a shop heater. Now I can actually be warm and see something while I attempt some hollow forms.

David DeCristoforo
12-27-2010, 12:26 PM
...was a wonderful couple of days with all of my family here. My family is not that large being my wife and I and our two sons and their spouses and our daughter. No grandkids yet but this was the first time in several years that we were able to be all together. Lots of good food! We exchange "token" gifts but try to make it not be about that. I hope everyone had a great time and if you "got" something, I hope it was something you wanted or needed.

Paul Douglass
12-27-2010, 12:29 PM
Santa brought our whole family together for the first time in many years. It was a great Christmas. My wife didn't buy me much for Christmas, just a 2007 GMC Duramax Diesel with 19500 miles on it. Not much..... Actually it was both of our's Christmas and we bought it several weeks ago.

We cooked a prime rib for dinner, first time we have tried it. Most awesome Christmas dinner we have had. Will be the tradition from now on.

Rick Huelsbeck
12-27-2010, 1:20 PM
3 Easy wood turning tools, CI3 Midi Finisher, CI4 Midi Rougher, and the CI3 hollower, also a new CI3 and CI4 2" radius inserts. I have played with finisher a little bit and I really like it. Hopefully I will get to use the rest of them this weekend.

Tim McClelland
12-27-2010, 1:38 PM
Since my birthday is close to Christmas (21st) I often get combined gifts. This year I got the PSI 3 piece hollowing tool set, a PSI 7 piece carbide pen barrel trimming set, a PSI mandrel saver tail stock center and a Benjamin Best 3/8 spindle gauge, and a new hot glue gun. Not a bad haul. But best of all was having our 4 kids, son in law and daughter in law, and our precious little grandaughter (with a little brother or sister on the way) all in our home at the same time. What a blessed time. Too bad it got cut short by the storm as our son and his wife had to return to Pa. to plow, our youngest returned with them to help with the plowing and to go back to school in Pa. Our daughter and husband and grandaugher had to leave early also. I did get to help my sun replace a serpentine belt on his car, and got to replace the brakes on my daughter's car.
Memories, memories, memories. Hope you all had a blessed time also. Happy New Year to ALL

Jack Mincey
12-27-2010, 1:53 PM
I got a couple Ashley Iles gouges, the long and strong 1/2" spindle gouge and a 3/4" Continental spindle gouge. I have one of the long and strong spindle gouges in my school shop that is a wonderful spindle gouge and holds an edge for a long time. I really like to use a Continental spindle gouge and have a hard time finding one just like I want and since I was ordering two of the long and strong gouges, one being a present for one of my students I went ahead and ordered the continental gouge and it is exactly what I wanted. The other gift is a full set of Flex-cut chisels for my Ryobi carver I bought of E-Bay last year. I might have to try my hand at carving a bowl this year.

Dale Bright
12-27-2010, 5:10 PM
I got a new 60" photo tent and a 42" varitone graduated background for it. I want to kick up the quality of my turning photos for my new web site (still in the construction stage).

That is all of the tuning related things I got.

Dale

Steve Hayes
12-27-2010, 5:33 PM
Had a great Christmas. LOML gave me a couple of new strobes for the studio, 4 terabyte Drobo backup system, Sony noise canceling headphones, color calibration system and a Cycleops 200 pro trainer for our gym.

Don Nurmela
12-27-2010, 6:37 PM
I scored huge for Christmas, I got a powermatic 3520B with bed extension, Easy wood tools, rougher and finisher, Sorby hollower, a WoodRiver scraper and bowl gouge, trend Airshield, Nova Chuck, misc other goodies. I also managed to get a huge trailer load of a freshly cut maple tree, so I have been busy learning. So much for early retirement.This is my first real lathe and it has been a blast! God is Good and Santa ain't bad either.

Steve Vaughan
12-27-2010, 6:51 PM
I got two grinch t-shirts which is just fine. More importantly, I got me some time to rough-turn about 16 (so far) bowls from honey locust. It was nice with the snow outside, the smell of sweet green wood flying with an occasional tinge of denatured alcohol thrown in. It was all good.

Jim Burr
12-27-2010, 7:04 PM
We had 18 people at any given time on Christmas Day...Never again!!!! My uncle brought me a lot of wood in plank form, but then the inevitable..."Oh, can you use Mazanita or Buckeye? I have tons of that at home. Stop by next time your over" Ha!!..I'll be in his neighborhood for New Years weekend! Gave out tons of pens and various turned thingy's, all well received. And my Trend is in the mail today!! Stacey knows not to buy me Vortex things...but I have a turning budget every month!!

Dennis Simmons
12-27-2010, 7:08 PM
.... best of all .... we got SNOW! Sounds weird for some of you, but in my 40ish years, I have never had a "White Christmas", so it was pretty cool for me![/QUOTE]

I have always wanted it to snow on Christmas Eve,in Georgia, after 65 years I suppose Christmas Day will Work:) we will work on 66!! Glad you got your wish.

James Roberts
12-27-2010, 11:46 PM
New Grizzly Band saw, some sanding stuff from Vince's, some pen making supplies (figured I'd give it a try) plus the usual underwear and socks, shirts and ties etc.

Kelvin Burton
12-28-2010, 1:02 AM
My family gave me money toward tools and I bought a Don Pencil buffing system .. just waiting for him to ship it!

Kelvin Burton
12-28-2010, 1:05 AM
I received David Ellsworth's book on Woodturning and Bob Flexner's book on Wood Finishing. Both look very good.

Greg, I got Bob's book last Christmas .. after borrowing it from our club library I decided I needed my own copy! It's great, and dispels a lots of finishing myths!

Mark Eisen
12-28-2010, 6:31 AM
I got a phone call from a pen turner friend in Canada. That really made my day.