PDA

View Full Version : Will 12" Leigh superjig do the job

tom coleman
12-27-2010, 1:43 AM
I would like to make boxes with thru dovetail and box joint joinery. I anticipate that all of my activity will be using wood less than 8 inches in width. Sounds like the Leigh 12" model will also make 5/16 inch box joints and should meet my modest requirements.

I'd like to keep this purchase under $300. However, I wonder if I should spring for the 18 inch model to have some upgrade options.

Or Would I be better served by the 16 inch Akeda?

Your comments appreciated

Joe Leigh
12-27-2010, 10:42 AM
It depends. How many drawers do you make that are wider than 12"? or boxes?
Works great for me but everyone's needs are different.

Charles Lent
12-27-2010, 11:48 AM
On occasions when you need to make right and left joint setups, a longer jig lets you set up for both at the same time. I bought the D4R so I could do this. A longer super jig should allow for the same. Trust me, even with a 24" D4R jig I have wished it was longer a couple of times.

Charley

roman fedyk
12-27-2010, 10:31 PM
I really like the Akeda jig. I have a Leigh jig as well but find myself reaching for the Akeda. You won't go wrong with the 16"Akeda.

Aaron Kitchell
12-27-2010, 11:22 PM
I faced the same dilema and originally purchased the 12". I thought about it throughout the day, and exchanged it the next day for the Leigh 18". Reason being, it has joinery options that aren't offered with the 12".