PDA

View Full Version : What to do with $600 to Lie Nielsen?

Casey Carr
12-27-2010, 12:39 AM
I've been saving my gift certs for over a year now and have a bit of money to finally get my jointer plane. Was planning on getting a #7 with either a 45 or 55 degree frog since I already have a 4 1/2 with the standard frog. Now I'm looking at the Low Angle Jointer, wondering which would be better? I kind of liked the idea of the #7 because it has the same size blade as the 4 1/2, and with the different angled frog, I'd be a little better off.

But if the Low Angle Jointer is also highly recommended, I'd strongly consider that. It's a bit cheaper than the #7 also, so I'd have to figure out what else to spend more money on!

As far as the work I do, so far I'm only collecting. Too many other projects going on to actually start working on furniture, plus as I tell my wife, I don't have enough tools to do a good job! But what I'm wanting to get into is bed frames, cabinets, dressers, maybe tables, but probably not chairs. I already have the rabbet block plane and the aforementioned 4 1/2. I've got a decent start on the chisels and the father-in-law always gets me a few for Christmas, so I'd hate to cut that off. Oh, can't forget the medium shoulder plane too, but it's lee valley and I think I want to stick with the lee valley shoulder planes. Got plenty of sharpening stuff also with a worksharp 3000 on the way thanks to someone here on the creek notifying everyone.

So have at it. What would you get? #7? Low angle jointer? And what else with the money left over. I can go over the $600 limit as I have another guaranteed $400 coming with my football winnings this year, but I don't want to go much over the $600 I have, still saving for the planer.

Niels Cosman
12-27-2010, 2:45 AM
go with the No.7!
My no.7 is my workhorse jointer. I use it everyday and love it. I've never used the low angle jointer, but I have the low angle jack and I've never liked it for edge jointing. I feel like the higher center of gravity of a bevel down plane makes it easier to judge plumb. Also, although it's a minor point, with the bevel up bench planes there's no place to rest your pointer finger (i rest it on the back of the frog right next to the depth adjuster)
ps. I keep a 55 degree frog in my 4 1/2 I like the idea of swapping out frogs, but i never have.

I'd spend the rest of cash on maybe a No.102, router plane, or dovetail saw (all awesome)

Rick Erickson
12-27-2010, 8:21 AM
I would take it a step further and go with the #8. It is an unbelievable plane and for only $50 more you get a lot more metal all around. It is my second favorite plane (right behinid my 5 1/2). I was flattening some large cherry panels a few days ago and welcomed all the weight and blade I could get. I had to reach far across my bench to get to the other side of the panels and once you get this plane moving it won't stop. I used to go the route of trying to get multiple planes with the same features so I could accessorize at will. I found that wasn't practicle. Once I had a plane setup the way I wanted it I didn't mess with it. I just bought another plane to satisfy a different role. I completely understand you may be in a different position though.

Zach England
12-27-2010, 9:37 AM
I wish I got LN certificates to save up. You talk about them like they are box tops from breakfast cereal.

Does your wife have a sister?

Tony Shea
12-27-2010, 9:59 AM
I was recently in the same perdicament as you, had gift certs for LN and couldn't decide on the #7 or the LA jointer. I happen to live an hour away from their showroom so took a drive to try them out. Boy I was glad I did, decided that I really didn't care for the feel of the LA jointer. Was not hefty enough and truely not neccessary to have the blade BD in a jointer plane. This decission was talked over with the wonderful people at their shop and by using it on some lumber they had laying around. I opted for the #7 but if I had the extra money I certainly would have, and probably should've, gone with the #8. For a specific jointer plane the LN #8 just can't be beat. The extra heft and width is very welcome in its' efforts to true up the face of lumber. If I had it to do over I would've spent the extra $ for the #8. Either way I'm very happy with my #7 and use it almost every day in the shop.

Now the extra money left over I would highly reccomend looking at the LA jack plane. This is where a BD plane really comes into it's own and becomes very versitile. I have yet to own one though therefore am no expert. This opinion is based of using a friends and testing one out at the showroom. Has a great feel to it shoots like a dream.

John A. Callaway
12-27-2010, 10:16 AM
+1 on the No.8 .... I have a stanley made in 1907 ( not sure which type ) and I love it. I am going to order a hock blade for it, but the original is pretty sweet. This is one plane every hand tool wood worker should own. Once you get used to it's weight you will reach for it often.

Trevor Walsh
12-27-2010, 9:52 PM
I agree if you've got money to burn go for the 8, I test drove almost every bench plane at one of their events and the LA was nothing to write home about, the mass on the 8 though... was amazing. If I didn't have my heart set on some other things and was looking for a jointer thats what I'd spring for.

David Weaver
12-27-2010, 10:04 PM
If you are going to be using power tools to do most of the work, #7 or #8 doesn't matter, you won't use them enough to make a difference.

If you are going to seriously be using hand tools to do a lot of rough work, then a #7 will be better than a #8 when you're talking LN planes. I would imagine an LN 7 is about the same weight as a stanley 8.

Casey Carr
12-27-2010, 10:21 PM
Lol Zach! My wife happened to be sitting right here when I read that. Yes, she has sisters, but they're already married! But it's my mom and grandmother that get me the gift certificates. My brother if that's what I request also. But Christmas last year, my b-day and then Christmas this year, it adds up.

And great, split decision here between the #7 and #8. At least no one seemed to really recommend the LA jointer which was what I was worried about. Didn't see the #8 recommendations coming. But I think I'm going to stick with the #7 just for the interchangeability options it gives me. Might very well never take advantage of it, but at least I'll have the option. Plus it keeps me from having to order another 55 degree frog for the 4 1/2 since the #8 is even wider than the 7 and 4 1/2. Probably take the recommendation and swap the frogs on the two and keep the 55 in the 4 1/2.

And I guess I'll take a look at their 102. Was thinking I'd probably get an adjustable mouth block plane, which is the 9 1/2. Any benefit to getting the adjustable mouth versus the 102?

Joel Goodman
12-27-2010, 10:51 PM
I have the LN low angle adjustable mouth block and it's excellent. It's a little bigger than the 102 but still quite small. I'd go low angle whichever one you get as you can always sharpen with a microbevel at a higher angle to create a "standard angle" block plane if you have need of one but can't do the opposite. The low angle is better on end grain.

I think you'll like the weight of the #7 as it's heavier than the low angle jointer which to me helps in flattening tabletops and such.

Jim Koepke
12-28-2010, 12:40 AM
For the longest time my #7 seemed like the cat's pajamas, then one day someone offered me a #8 at a price I couldn't refuse.

Now the #8 gets used more than the #7.

Either one will be a good addition to your shop.

My LN #62 (LA BU Jack) is mostly used on end grain. It is the best tool in my shop for shooting end grain joinery. It gets used some on edges and faces, but the bevel down planes seem to do a slightly better job for those tasks. This may be because it only has one blade that is kept at a low angle.

My Stanley #102 gets used a lot for breaking corners. It also comes in handy for small areas with changing grain. The LN #102 is surely a bit better.

My LN #60-1/2 block plane is my current favorite among my block planes.

These are just my opinions, your experience is sure to be unique to you.

jtk

Niels Cosman
12-28-2010, 12:47 AM
Both the adjustable mouth block plane and the 102 are excellent go to planes. Both perfectly fit the hand and are a joy to use. I'd buy either again in a heartbeat. The adjustable mouth is probably more versatile and can be used to hog or fine tuned to take super thin shavings. The weight of the large plane helps to tackle end grain cuts but for lighter duty tasks like shaping, rounding and chamfering corners I grab the 102 all the time. I have an lovely original SW period stanley 103, that I used for years and love, but the modern steel blade, brass body, and the threaded depth adjuster make the LN a winner.
If you have enough cash left over go with the low angle adjustable mouth block plane.

I have a old stanley 608 which feels lighter than my LN #7. I flatten and joint all my boards by hand and don't know how I would feel about having to throw around the extra weight of a LN no.8 all day long.

Jim R Edwards
12-28-2010, 3:41 PM
I guess I will be the first, I would get the low angle jointer. To me they are simple and more versital. If given a choice I always go for a bevel up plane. I am slowly getting rid of my bevel down planes. Most of the time they just collect dust. A couple of exceptions are my Clifton #7 and a Stanley #8. I use them because I dont have a bevel up jointer yet!

Prashun Patel
12-28-2010, 4:15 PM
"As far as the work I do, so far I'm only collecting"

I offer a contrarian opinion. Jointing and flattening is rewarding but a lot of effort. Many people prefer to leave this task to the power jointers and planers. If you have not decided which camp yr in yet, then I suggest you deploy yr funds on block, shoulder, and smoothing planes. For fine adjustments and finishing work, there's no power equivalent to these...

Zach England
12-29-2010, 8:54 AM
I do most jointing work with my jointer and planer, but I'd hate to be without a jointer plane. They are invaluable for trueing the faces of doors and panels after glue-up.

Casey Carr
12-29-2010, 3:51 PM
And that's exactly how I plan on using it Zach. Still going to have the jointer and planer, but figure I'll still need the planes to true everything up. Plus they're just cool. And it's not like I can exchange them for cash now, unless I'm willing to take a hit on ebay, which I don't see a need to. Even if I had the planer, I wouldn't be able to use it right now. Too many other projects going on. Even Christopher Schwarz uses a jointer and planer, then finishes them up with the hand tools. Don't have any plans on going completely neander, but would kind of like to marry the two philosophies.

Looks like the #7 with the 55 degree frog and #60 1/2 are going to be the winners. And that puts me right at the $600 even. Sweet! Thanks for all the help guys. Truly respect everyone's opinions here!