PDA

View Full Version : First question from a newbie

Michael Shane Thompson
12-26-2010, 11:31 PM
First of all....hi to everyone here. Okay, I've recently decided that I would like to join the creative and exciting field of laser engraving, etching, cutting or whatever you would like to call it. I've also decided to possibly purchase an Epilog laser. My question, though, is about attaining clients. Based on experience from anyone, is it better to go out in the field and try to prospect for clients before buying the equipment or is it better to get the laser and make some samples to show possible clients? I live 3 miles from the local fairgrounds and I thought it would be a good idea to purchase the laser and make samples to sell there during the many different events and hopefully gain clients that way. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

mike berry
12-27-2010, 7:19 AM
The 1st order of business is to put together a business plan. WHo are your prospective clients going to be? What is the competition? Where are you going to work out of? How are you payig for the laser and related equipment and supplies, computer(s), etc? Are you registered with the State? Do you have insurance? (if you are getting a loan, you'll need business insurance listing the leinholder as the loss payee in the event of fire, theft, etc) Are you set-up with a bank? Are you planning on taking credit cards? The best piece of advise anybody can give you is pricing.....DON'T price low and try to just get the business as that will hurt the entire industry. Just because somebody might work from home and not have the same overhead as a retail location, don't price it with the thoughts of not having many expenses. We have run into this many times when a customer says they can buy the same product from XYZ company because they are XX dollars cheaper.....usually XYZ company works from their basement and has minimal overhead. And no, I am not saying there is a problem with working from your home if that's what you decide to do, just price items accordingly, don't give stuff away! Good luck!

David Fairfield
12-27-2010, 8:50 AM
Its a bit of a Chicken or the Egg question. You can look on eBay & Etsy and see if the sort of thing you are interested in making are selling or not. If you search closed auctions under the general term "laser cut" you will see heaps of low end items, going unsold. You can try talking to people to see if they might be willing to hire you to make stuff, but in my experience, a "yes" is meaningless unless you have an actual product and a definite price.

There are people making good money with their machines. Ideally you already have a product and a customer base, and the laser will enhance, simplify or speed production of that product.

The Laser is not a product dispensing machine, as it is sometimes advertised. It is a tool. As with any tool, you must supply the ideas and designs and craftsmanship and marketing etc. You must be dedicated and industrious, if it is to pay for itself. I sort of took a leap of faith with my laser. I'm glad I did, but it took a while to pay off, and I went from plan A to B to C and so on, 'till I found a niche. Since then, the machine has been like having a very reliable employee.

Good luck!
Dave

Mike Null
12-27-2010, 10:30 AM
Most people (not all) who make a living with the laser and related tools provide a service rather than a product.

How much stuff have you bought at the fairgrounds?

Dee Gallo
12-27-2010, 11:12 AM
The Laser is not a product dispensing machine, as it is sometimes advertised. It is a tool. As with any tool, you must supply the ideas and designs and craftsmanship and marketing etc. You must be dedicated and industrious, if it is to pay for itself. I sort of took a leap of faith with my laser. I'm glad I did, but it took a while to pay off, and I went from plan A to B to C and so on, 'till I found a niche. Since then, the machine has been like having a very reliable employee.

Good luck!
Dave

Right on, Dave! I love that description: "product dispensing machine"!

I would also add that it might behoove Michael to cruise the fairgrounds/events and see what people are selling, as well as what people are buying. Spy on their purchasing patterns, listen to their comments, try to find out who is a second time buyer, and most importantly find out what they WISH they had seen. Look at what they are wearing, carrying, eating, etc. Everything will give you hints about the items, styles and designs that will sell for you. Look at the vendor displays, see which ones attract customers, hold customers and repel customers... and think about why. This market research is critical if you want to make a go of it. If you don't know your customers better than they know themselves, you'll have a tough time. Also remember that small purchases must be sold in huge numbers to make you money. If you are doing this for the fun, that's one thing. If you are doing this for the money, there are "easier" more profitable avenues. I say easier in quotes because this is NOT an easy biz to get started in especially if you never made anything before.

Read the posts here from start to finish, believe the experiences posted. These folks here are the most giving and helpful group you'll find anywhere and have a multitude of skills, interests and knowledge.

Good luck, and welcome to the Creek, dee

Martin Boekers
12-27-2010, 12:39 PM
I know this may sound a bit goofy, but I did get photography work from it.

When I went to "selected" events I wore a nice graphic polo shirt hawking
my business as well as a magnetic sign on the side of my van.

These investments more than paid for themselves, as I did get work I wouldn't
have had otherwise.

Jiten Patel
12-29-2010, 6:34 AM
I have to agree with everyone here. As a new starter myself, it was a tough decision, whether to buy the machine and work from there or get a client base and then get the machine. We chose the former rather than the latter. We spent a hell of a lot getting a machine, but its something we were very confident in doing as the product we sell is very niche and we had already made some great contacts in the industry and had working relationships set up before buying. It took us about 6 months research and development to finally take the plunge. A business plan is a key to success, almost as important as the right product.

A business plan allows you to go through all aspects of business. Finance, marketing, forecasts, competitors, future plans etc etc. Ours took 2 months to write properly and we consult it all the time to see if we are on track.

Networking and marketing are two other massively important things in business. You can have the best product in the world, but if no one knows it exists, whats the point. The internet is brilliant when executed properly, radio, TV, newspapers and magazines, free press converge and my favourite, word of mouth are all super important in spreading the word. Tradeshows and fairs are a great way to gain exposure. Meeting the right people and working on ways to work together are good ways to get customers you ordinarily wouldn’t get or meet.

But before all of that is a product. Have an idea of what you would like to sell. Explore how you will go about making it. Laser, materials etc. Source everything and work out how much is will cost you, and how much you will sell it for. How long will it take to make….is it still worth the venture. All these questions need to be answered before even thinking about spending a small fortune on equipment.

Having some sort of design flair and creative streak also helps too.