PDA

View Full Version : 4 YR Old Porter Cable 352VS....Any good?

John Fieldstadt
12-26-2010, 10:33 PM
Can anyone give me an idea as to where a 4 yr old Porter Cable 352VS Belt Sander would fit in in terms of Porter Cable quality? From what I understand the sander is in excellent condition but I do not know what "Type" it is (1-6). I've read about the recent lack of quality of a number of Porter Cable tools and I was wondering if this might have been manufactured before the downturn. Any thoughts or advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
John

mickey cassiba
12-26-2010, 11:03 PM
John, the "Type" is listed on the spec plate along with the serial number and date code. The Type 5 had issues with the drive train. The T6 was built to correct this issue. The problem was IIRC a plastic pulley which was prone to spinning on the drive shaft. If the spec plate is not legible, remove the roundish cover on the left side of the machine and look at the large pulley at the lower right. If it's made of metal you got a keeper.

John Fieldstadt
12-26-2010, 11:56 PM
Thanks Mickey. I'll see if the seller can tell me the "Type". So if I understand you correctly, the Type 6 went back to the metal pulley? Can the plastic pulley be replaced with a metal pulley? Can this repair be done by the end user?

Anyone with feedback on the other "Types"?

John Fieldstadt
12-28-2010, 3:36 PM
I found out that it's a Type 5. So being that's a plastic pulley I'm figuring I should stay away (unless it can be replaced at a reasonable cost).