PDA

View Full Version : need simple backup/move software for win 7

Steve knight
12-26-2010, 9:31 PM
I spend way too much time with my cnc software moving between directories. Whne I have to save the t oolpaths for my cnc machine I have to go through to the right drive to save it. when I got to save the drawing I have to jump through dirs to get to the right one.
so it would be nice to have a app that took any file extensionin any of the directories I specify move it (or mirror) it to another hard drive. it needs to do it every time a file changes. any idea's free would be best but I would pay some too.

Matt Meiser
12-26-2010, 9:46 PM
I'm not sure if it would do what you are looking for but Google Microsoft Sync Toy.

Steve knight
12-26-2010, 10:01 PM
that might work. I forgot the target folder I don't want the directories repeated. I want all the files in different sub dirs to be placed in one directory without any sub folders.

Steve knight
12-26-2010, 10:39 PM
lets make it simple. I want to pull all the files with a certain extension out of a selected directory and sub directories and move them to another directory/drive and not into matching sub directories but in one directory. this needs to happen upon a file change.

Matt Meiser
12-26-2010, 11:12 PM
Do you need it to happen immediately or would within 5-10 minutes work? Or would doubleclicking an icon on the desktop to trigger it? I'm thinking a batch file could do this. You could schedule the batch file every 5-10 minutes and have a shortcut on the desktop when you need it to happen right now.

Is the list of source sub-directories fixed or does it vary?

You need to be careful with on change/on create stuff. File locking can be a problem and you want to make sure the app writing the file might not be done when you notice the file change. I wrote an app that detects a new file and streams the contents to a serial port for one of my customers and we had issues in testing with the files not being done yet.

Steve knight
12-27-2010, 12:23 AM
the directories do change once in awhile. but the files are small like 3 megs is a large one.
what took care of a lot of is is in the same as window I had a app that let me add things to it so I could just click on the drive icon and be right there. but it only worked in the beta version of win 7.
maybe the easiest way is to make a directory to save the toolpaths that's in the main directory and have my other computer access that. what the program needs is default directories to save each thing.

Chris Parks
12-29-2010, 7:22 AM
xplorer2 is a multi pane / tabbed file management app. The advantage is you can have many different drives open and move things as you want. A simple find function will find any extension in the parent and sub folders, I use the find function for this specific purpose finding thousands of files in a directory in one operation.
http://zabkat.com/