PDA

View Full Version : 3/8" to 1/2" scrapers

robert raess
12-26-2010, 8:36 PM
I'm looking for 3/8" to 1/2" thick scrapers or steel stock about 1 3/8" to 2" wide.I've checked, doug thompson and P&N, and wondered if there are any other sources out there I'm not aware of.These will be round nose scrapers. I'm going to try grinding a neg. rake on it for hollow forms and bowls. thanks rob

Faust M. Ruggiero
12-26-2010, 8:44 PM
Rob,
Sorby makes "extra heavy duty" scrapers in straight as well as left and right hand bowl scrapers. I have a couple and like them but made longer handles. Because the steel is 1/2" thick, they are front heavy, especially if you find yourself having to get them a bit further over the tool rest than you might like. Because of their thickness, they are less useful in small circumferences then in larger bowls where they shine. There are lots of scrapers sold as part of hollowing systems that may be better inside hollow forms.
faust

David E Keller
12-26-2010, 9:01 PM
I've got one of the Sorby heavy duty scrapers, and although I don't use it much, it's a really nice, heavy tool. I think the Benjamin's Best series may have some heavyweight scrapers as well, but I'm not sure about that one.

Steve Schlumpf
12-26-2010, 9:10 PM
Robert - this is what I use and have never had a reason to look for anything different. http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LX130.html

Clint Baxter
12-26-2010, 9:53 PM
Woodcraft has a few different scrapers that are 1/2" thick.
http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2000416/3573/WOODCRAFT-Superlong-Bowl-Scraper.aspx
http://www.woodcraft.com/Family/2005160/SORBY-Extra-HeavyDuty-Scrapers.aspx

I have a 1/2" round nose scraper that I use for a lot of my hollowing.

Clint

Bernie Weishapl
12-26-2010, 10:33 PM
I use the same PSI scraper that Steve refered to and it works great.

Richard Bell CA
12-27-2010, 9:14 AM
Steve/Bernie:

How thick is the steel in the PSI scrapers?

Thanks

Richard

Thom Sturgill
12-27-2010, 9:56 AM
I have the PSI set - they are 3/8". I also have one of the Sorby 1/2" bowl scrapers and will probably buy the other two. They are all good, but the thicker the metal the less chance of any chatter. Because of price issues I will probably buy PSI scrapers for ones that I want to re-shape.

There are occasions when the thick scrapper will not fit well, more because of the radius than the thickness, and I use all of them about equally. The PSI scrapers hold a burr well, as does the Sorby, but I honed the tops and use the Veritas tool to raise a burr. Negative rake scrapers do not use a burr, if I recall correctly, but the ability to hold one is indicative of the quality of the steel.

Richard Bell CA
12-27-2010, 10:24 AM
Thanks Thom. I do like the extra thickness (I already have the RH and LH Sorby), but the PSI scraper looks like a great value. While I use a bowl gouge for the majority of my work, I still use a range of scrapers for different applications. I will probably pick up a couple of the PSI scrapers for regrinding.

Richard

Scott Hackler
12-27-2010, 11:38 AM
I have the Sorby HD bowl scraper and a Sorby HD 1/2" scraper. They are monsters and work really well. Hardly any chatter even with the entire steel hanging over the rest. I use the bowl scraper quite a bit but I have a burr raise on mine, so i have to be carefull because it will remove a lot of material rather quickly! It makes quick work out of shaping the inside of a deep bowl.