PDA

View Full Version : Bearing Replacement on Jet 1642

Nate Davey
12-26-2010, 8:00 PM
I replaced the factory, unsealed bearings, with after market sealed bearings this evening. There was a very good tutorial on WTR, I took pics of the disassembly process and will update the how-to, it will be a PDF. In the picture, the factory bearings on the left and new sealed bearings on the right. Took about a half hour with no special tools.

Mike Stephens
12-26-2010, 8:19 PM
I am interested to see the process. I have to replace the bearings in a 8 month old 3520b. Powermatic sent me the bearings. I have not done it yet because I was thinking I would need to have the bearings pressed onto the arbor. I was goining to take it to machine shop. I do not want to go hammering on the new bearings.

Steve Schlumpf
12-26-2010, 9:16 PM
Nate - will be interested in seeing your tutorial!

Also - one of these days Aaron is going to open up a new feature offering publishing here on the Creek. In his post about update features, located in the Tech Support Forum, Aaron wrote " Very good threads with a narrative feel will be promoted to articles, as well. Again, if you're interested in having your tips, techniques, tool reviews, projects or other experiences published in a narrative, please post in our Articles and Reviews forum and send us a PM; we'll be glad to set it up for you."

So - keep that in mind when you are ready to post your tutorial.

Nate Davey
12-26-2010, 9:29 PM
I've sent the write up to the webmaster for article consideration.

Mike, from what I've seen of the two lathes, other than extra cast iron, they seem pretty similar. The power inverter, 220v motors and live centers are the same, so it may be possible the bearing and drive assembly are as well. The only noticeable difference on the head stock, I saw, was the controls and belt access were flip flopped.

PS. No disrespect meant to the Mustard Monster Mafia (MMM or 3M)

Steve Schlumpf
12-26-2010, 9:34 PM
That's cool! You'll be one of the very first!

David Gilbert
12-27-2010, 4:52 PM
There was a very good tutorial on WTR, I took pics of the disassembly process and will update the how-to, it will be a PDF. I hate to complain about acronyms again but what is "WTR"?

Thanks and Happy New Year!

David

Mike Cross
12-27-2010, 5:02 PM
I believe it is Wood Turners Resource. www.woodturnersresource.com (http://www.woodturnersresource.com)
I would be interested in the source and manufacturer of the new sealed bearings being used.

Mike

Nate Davey
12-27-2010, 8:10 PM
I bought the bearing from VXB.com, they are made by Nachi, a Japanese company on the website they Kit 9708 and Kit 9706. I'll add this to the tutorial.

James Combs
12-27-2010, 8:45 PM
I bought the bearing from VXB.com, they are made by Nachi, a Japanese company on the website they Kit 9708 and Kit 9706. I'll add this to the tutorial.

Excellent supplier, that is where I get any bearings that I need, form lawn mower deck repairs to table saw spindle repairs.