PDA

View Full Version : A Landmark Day.....for me

Nate Davey
12-26-2010, 3:54 PM
It may not seem like much, but today I did a pretty darn good job of sharpening my swept back wing bowl gouge free handed. Had, almost, one nice facet across the whole cutting surface and a nice convex curve. It, truly, is one of my proudest moments in turning "career".

A little snow pic as well, never thought global warming would be so beautiful. Jack, sure would have been nice had you kept this over in western NC.

P.S. Really like the new method for loading pics, props to the mods

Jerry Marcantel
12-26-2010, 4:06 PM
[QUOTE=Nate Davey;1593570] A little snow pic as well, never thought global warming would be so beautiful.
Nate, I was eating a pice of Pecan pie when I read the above quote. Lucky for you, I put my hand over my mouth to keep the pie from hitting my 'puter screen.... I had a good chuckle........
Good luck on your free hand grinding...... Jerry (in Tucson)

Steve Schlumpf
12-26-2010, 4:24 PM
Nate - congrats on getting that grinding thing figured out! Makes a huge difference when turning!

Glad to see that a lot of folks got a taste of snow just in time for the holidays! Enjoy it!

John Keeton
12-26-2010, 4:42 PM
Nate, that sharp gouge will go a long way toward enjoyable turning! Neat pic - we had about 5" prior to Christmas, most of which was gone but for the ice on our 1/4 mile long gravel drive!! Then, on Christmas Eve into Christmas morning, we got another 2.5", and since this morning, probably another 1.5". I am OK with it, but it restricts our travels. I can get in/out with my Dodge 4x4, but not with the other two vehicles. Well, that probably isn't true....the drive is downhill going out, so I can get out, just not in!

Jack Mincey
12-26-2010, 5:30 PM
Nate,
A job well done always gives you a good feeling all the way down to your toe's. I hate to tell you, but it is still snowing off and on at this end of the state. We are 8" and climbing right now. It sure is pretty, and one Christmas I will always remember.
Jack

Brian Libby
12-26-2010, 6:29 PM
When it all falls in place it feels great - snow headed my way (southern maine) 6-10 tonight another 4-8 tommorrow with blizzard conditions - the good part is I am on VACATION this week !!

Tim Thiebaut
12-27-2010, 4:09 AM
Hi Brian, your not very far from my home turf, my familys farm is in Shapleigh just a little SW of you.

Roland Martin
12-27-2010, 11:00 AM
Free-hand? You're a better man than me! Congtats on "getting" it. I gave up and pretty much rely on the wolverine.:(

Thom Sturgill
12-27-2010, 12:32 PM
No snow for me, though its cold enough (32 degrees this morning). Like Roland, I use my wolverine too - I don't get enough hours on the lathe and like the repeatability. I've been told that once you learn to grind freehand you will find you spend less time at the grinder. Like any other skill involved in turning, it takes a good eye and muscle memory - which takes practice.