PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw accident

'Jacques Malan'
12-26-2010, 2:23 PM
I was working on the bandsaw this Sunday afternoon and had a bit of a brainfade.

Result, a bad cut on my right hand just behind the index finger, a visit to the hospital and three stitches.

It is very deep and very painful and I've got some gory pictures that I'm keeping for myself.
I've already mopped the blood of the floor.

That is what happens when you work while emotionally upset about things.

Leigh Betsch
12-26-2010, 3:06 PM
Interesting enough that when I was in VoTech school, learning to be a machinist, the instructor told us that the band saw was the most dangerous machine in the shop, because it has a very large exposed blade. Most woodworkers feel that it is a lot safer than the table saw. I'm not really sure. I do know that they will both cut your fingers off very quickly.
I hope you're not hurt bad. Three stitches probably means you were lucky.

Gary Hodgin
12-26-2010, 3:22 PM
Sad to hear about your accident, but sounds like it could have been worse. I have to be especially careful around the band saw with small pieces. The band saw lulls me into complacency when I use it for a while. It seems so harmless compared to other power tools.

Kurt Rosenzweig
12-26-2010, 3:24 PM
Here's to a fast recovery. Hope it doesn't keep you away from the shop to long. I know what you say that you have to have your head in the game while in the shop. It's no place for the mind to wander. I would absolutely put the table saw in front of every tool in my shop as the most dangerous but all of them can bite..

Doug Mason
12-26-2010, 3:54 PM
Always sad news;

Leigh--I too fear the bandsaw more than the tablesaw.

Carroll Courtney
12-26-2010, 3:54 PM
Just like you,sometimes it just don't pay to work in the shop when only part of the mind is focus.I for one feel that the BS is the safest,it never throws stuff at ya.Keep a sharp mine and get back in the shop---Carroll

Steve Griffin
12-26-2010, 4:12 PM
The bandsaw is one of the "safest" tools in the shop.

As such, I am particularly careful with it. Most accidents have multiple contributing causes, and my "opinion" that the bandsaw is safe is especially dangerous.

Sort of like when I was into mountaineering---the really difficult stuff was approached with care and caution, but the easy decent was the place most accidents happen, when you are tired and mentally not focused...

Hope you heal up fast,

Steve

Fred Voorhees
12-26-2010, 4:42 PM
Jacque...hope it isn't to bad. Like you, I haven't been in the best frame of mind lately either. I have had a deep personal and emotional thing I have been dealing with for about a month now and it has been messing with my head constantly. Yes, I have been in the shop..and even on the bandsaw. I agree that the bandsaw is probably the most dangerous in the shop.

Phil Phelps
12-26-2010, 5:05 PM
I hate to hear about accidents like this. I've gone on record saying I probably have more time on a band saw than anyone on this forum. I've made a living (45 years) cutting letters on a band saw. Luckily, I have never cut myself. However, the main reason for this is consistency of material that I use. If you cut, say MDF hours on end, you have the same resistance from the material. You should never cut with a dull blade. Hardwoods are the most dangerous because of grain variation. Your blade is under different stress conditions when you cut with the grain opposed to against the grain. You hit smooth spots and the blade cuts faster with less resistance. Therefore, the sharper the blade the better. Never force the work. If you do, you are asking for trouble. You have to know when to push with one hand and guide with the other. Slow, methodical cutting is a must. Every time I turn on a machine, I see my finger laying on the table. Never think it can't happen to you. I could lose a digit or two tomorrow. The good news is you reported that you had "stitches". You still have your finger, you lucky dog. Heal and learn. Hope your better very soon.

Phil Phelps
12-26-2010, 5:15 PM
I'd like to add that we could discuss what machine is the most dangerous. Let's just say that every hand tool and machine is as dangerous as you are careless.

doug faist
12-26-2010, 5:31 PM
I'm always a bit concerned when a thread such as this has repeated use of the word "fear." I'm a firm believer that power tools of any kind should be approached with a confident respect, not fear. Fear engenders paralysis both physically and mentally; you just aren't "in the game" if you fear a certain tool. Don't forget that a handsaw can do almost everything a band saw can, a plane can replace a jointer, a good router plane can cut great dadoes. Tools don't need tails to produced good results.

If you "fear" a certain tool, think about a way to do the work in another way. This endeavor is supposed to be FUN, not mind numbing drudgery.

Rant off.

Jacques: very glad you weren't hurt any worse.

Happy New Year, folks.

Doug

Mike Heidrick
12-26-2010, 5:49 PM
Jacques - speedy recovery prayers sent your way my friend. I hated reading that note today. Keep it clean and as it heals up use lots of neosporin with pain relief!! That stuff is really nice!

That reminds me...

You folks keep a first aid kit in your shop? I was noticing some of the items in there have expired in mind. Time to refresh it up a bit. I use one from Sams Club but they can easily be made. Amazing how handy it is when you are out there for hours. Save me a trip to the house for advil or bandaids etc!

Mike Cruz
12-26-2010, 5:50 PM
Jacques, I'm very sorry to hear about this. Thanks for posting it though. The reminders to stay alert and focused never get old. You are right, when emotionally distracted, wwing while a VERY easy draw (that and chocolate and beer) is NOT a safe choice. Speedy recovery, and you know what, as long as there is ample warning, I personally think that posting the pics is a good thing. Hearing about what happened is a great reminder. SEEING the results lasts a bit longer... IMO, post the pics.

Mike Sayre
12-26-2010, 7:01 PM
Sorry to hear bout your accident... Hope you have a speedy recovery and glad it wasn't worse,.....

Neil Brooks
12-26-2010, 7:16 PM
Heal quickly.

I couldn't agree more: I've heard people say that they spend time in their shops to "take their mind off of things."

I can't work that way.

If I'm not "all in," I won't run anything but the ShopVac !

Mark Eisen
12-26-2010, 7:25 PM
Sorry to hear bout your accident, I hope it heals up real quick.
I agree that the Bandsaw is the most dangerous it is the only tool that I have that make me nervous.

Paul McGaha
12-26-2010, 7:28 PM
Jacques,

I'm sorry to hear of your accident on your band saw. I hope you heal well.

I remember reading a post from a school shop teacher. He said his classes had more accidents on band saws than any other tool.

PHM

greg a bender
12-26-2010, 7:40 PM
Sorry to hear about your incident.

I was trying to work in the shop today, feeling a bit pressured to 'produce' something. Was below freezing in there, extension cords stiff, breath fog. Lights taking forever to get up to temp. Fingers numb. Made one cut on the Uni and decided it was safest to retreat to the house where it was a bit warmer.
Glad your injury was not worse and I'm glad I listened to that inner voice.
Resolved my issues later with a small glass of wine and a warm fire.

Greg A.

Mark Bolton
12-26-2010, 8:20 PM
I've got some gory pictures that I'm keeping for myself.
I've already mopped the blood of the floor.

Put the pictures on, I use them to scare the heck (I dont even think I can say H-E double hockey sticks on here any more) out of the guys. One of the best pic's I show is the one from the guy who was clearing the bottoms of mortises with a brad point bit in the DP and glancing away caught the area between thumb and index in the tip of the bit. I often use it as a way to show how a "weeeeee little drill bit" can foul you up big time.

Mark

Josiah Bartlett
12-27-2010, 2:04 AM
Heal quickly.

I couldn't agree more: I've heard people say that they spend time in their shops to "take their mind off of things."

I can't work that way.

If I'm not "all in," I won't run anything but the ShopVac !

Last time I wasn't paying attention while using a shopvac I sucked up a rather expensive light bulb, which shattered once it hit the cannister.
Sorry to hear about your accident. Every time I've needed stitches I've been doing something that seemed rather safe. I was also covered with grime and grease, which makes it doubly unpleasant. Heal quickly!

raul segura
12-27-2010, 2:49 AM
I recently slit my finger, deep but clean, glass and resin for the nail and a bandage. A band saw is your friend, (don't be a butcher).
Its bad when you try and get away only to find your trouble awaits you in your sanctuary ! "this to will pass", and sure enough it dose.
I had a hard time getting back on that blade with out the after taste of memory. Versatile THINGS have the worst bite at times but often more sweet than the rest.
Good luck

Rod Sheridan
12-27-2010, 9:35 AM
Jacques, glad to hear that it wasn't worse.

I think there are a lot of bandsaw accidents for 3 reasons;

1) people think they're safe machines

2) we push a lot of the material with our fingers (curved cuts etc)

3) I've never seen a guard on a bandsaw blade except for a stock feeder

Hope you have a speedy recovery..................Regards, Rod.

glenn bradley
12-27-2010, 10:25 AM
Sorry to hear about the injury and am glad it wasn't worse. It is good to hear so many folks speak to the misconception of the bandsaw being a "safer" machine. I cringe everytime I read this statement in a thread. Haven't any of these people every watched the butcher prepping meats? Heal quick.

Mike Cruz
12-27-2010, 10:42 AM
As someone else said, this thread probably ought not become a "band saw, is it safe or dangerous" thread.

I just wrote a huge expanation of my thoughts on this subject, and decided to erase it. Just be careful with ALL your tools everyone.

Jacques, heal well. At least you can still type...right?

Brent Ring
12-27-2010, 10:57 AM
Heal well, be patient, and make sure that you are focused and enjoying your work!

Richard Spain
12-27-2010, 11:16 AM
Jacques,
Give the healing the time it needs with both the hand and the head.
You might want to consider contacting Sawstop and suggest they apply their apparatus to a band saw. I am sure you would make a good advocate.

Chris Ricker
12-27-2010, 7:35 PM
Jacques, I hear ya.
I have never been ashamed to admit my mistakes (because I believe that there is plenty to learn from other peoples mistakes) but, I usually wait until the physical pain goes away. In this case I'll make and exception.

Last Monday night around 8:00 pm I was rough cutting a bowl blank out on the band saw. The wife and I had just returned from a meeting with an attorney and heard some distressing news. As usual, I went to the shop to relieve some stress and tried to occupy my mind with more pleasant thoughts of woodworking. I started with a nice log of split white oak and cut off the ragged face, then drew a circle, cut off most of the wasted corners and then tried to cut out the circle. as I neared one of the corner cut-offs the blade "sprang" from the cut and my right index finger was pushed into the blade.

I returned from the ER at about 12:30am with 9 stitches and a lot of regret.

The cut is from the base of my finger nail to past the second knuckle. Did I mention that I used my "old" (read; rusty) blade because of the bark on the wood? so lets throw in a tetanus shot to boot.

As an OSHA instructor for my trade, I've learned that all accidents are rarely one single incident but, usually a series of "small" mistakes that compound into one major "accident". This is my case, I should have never entered the shop in a aggravated state, never use a "old" blade and never let yourself become distracted.

I hope you heal quickly. On a bright note, I'll get my stitches out before you will:p

Be safe
CR

Neil Brooks
12-27-2010, 8:03 PM
Oh, G-D, Chris !!!

You heal quickly too, huh ???

Yikes.

Dan Karachio
12-27-2010, 9:52 PM
Wow Jacques, I hope you feel better soon. For what it is worth, I thank you for taking the time to post this. I think many people fall into thinking the bandsaw is ultra safe because it will never kick back anything (or will it?), and we get our hands pretty darn close to that blade like it's a sewing machine or something.

george wilson
12-27-2010, 9:57 PM
The bandsaw is faster cutting than the table saw.

Dan Karachio
12-27-2010, 10:12 PM
Jacques,
Give the healing the time it needs with both the hand and the head.
You might want to consider contacting Sawstop and suggest they apply their apparatus to a band saw. I am sure you would make a good advocate.

I swear they had something on their site a while back and they were actually researching this. Yep, on YouTube, look for "SawStop Bandsaw Prototype." Please, I am not trying to debate this - just pass on the information. Back on topic, Jacques also made a great point about having your head in the shop. Sorry he had to suffer, but really appreciate he passed on two very serious lessons.

Dave Cav
12-27-2010, 10:19 PM
Jacques,

I'm sorry to hear of your accident on your band saw. I hope you heal well.

I remember reading a post from a school shop teacher. He said his classes had more accidents on band saws than any other tool.

PHM

That might or might not have been me, but yes, in my H.S. school shop setting, bandsaw cuts outnumber all other accidents combined. Fortunately, in three years, only one or two have needed any stitches. After the band saws it's the belt sander and then the router table. Fortunately none of the latter have needed anything other than a clean up and a bandaid.

'Jacques Malan'
12-29-2010, 12:55 PM

And a picture of what I was doing. Keeping the block up with my left hand and pushing with my right thumbs. When I pushed through the blade hit my hand. It is still very painful and I have to use my mouse left handed.

What makes it much worse is that I am production manager at a woodshop and I'm always talking to everybody for doing stupid things and then I go and do it myself.

Through the last 15 years we've had very few serious injuries, but so far I had to sit in a hospital 3 times not knowing whether the surgeon will amputate fingers or not.

Once was on a spindle where the worker didn't use the push stick as told, and managed to remove the tip of his little finger.

The other two times were both on a rip saw, while pushing the wood something went wrong and they grabbed with their left hands to push the wood down and managed to get their fingers in the blades.

Anyway, everybody be careful and think before you do something. 5 minutes of ensuring safety is better than sitting in hospital for 3 hours

John Coloccia
12-29-2010, 1:13 PM
Thanks for posting. There are a lot of us that make "dangerous" cuts like this also. There are people that would cringe at some of the BS cuts I make, and I would never recommend, advocate or even describe a lot of them, but the one thing I always do first is plan out a strategy so that my hands are never pushing into the blade. If something slaps, misses or whatever, I may ruin a piece but the episode ends with "Shoot, I need to make a new piece....glad my hands weren't in the way". It's because of posts like this that come up from time to time that every time I approach a tool I almost have this ritualistic checklist I automatically go down that keeps my hands out of the way, and my body out of the way of flying wood. It's almost like the run up you do just before you take off in an airplane. It's automatic and just takes a few seconds, but you do it so often and so automatically that as soon as the smallest detail is off, red flags go off and I rethink what's about to happen.

Thanks, and I wish you a speedy recovery.

John Nesmith
12-29-2010, 1:39 PM
Hope you heal quickly.

FWIW: The bandsaw is the only tool that has drawn serious blood from me. It was certainly my own stupidity. I bought the saw used, and the previous owner had removed the blade guard on the left (ascending) side for some reason. I did not immeidately replace it. I was using the saw when my young daughter screamed in the yard. Before I had time to think I was turning in reaction and trying to slap the kill switch at the same time. I slapped the blade instead.

Tom Rick
12-29-2010, 1:45 PM
It's because of posts like this that come up from time to time that every time I approach a tool I almost have this ritualistic checklist I automatically go down that keeps my hands out of the way, and my body out of the way of flying wood. It's almost like the run up you do just before you take off in an airplane. It's automatic and just takes a few seconds, but you do it so often and so automatically that as soon as the smallest detail is off, red flags go off and I rethink what's about to happen.

That's a good ideal.
My checklist is so automatic that it is not even conscious.
I have caught myself in the middle of a cut on occasion realizing that the feed path of hands and blade will meet.
I think in these cases my work speed has exceeded the cut safety assessment checklist.
I find that rapidly changing cuts on the table saw as particularly dangerous as one cut may have the blade captive in wood while the next leaves the blade exposed.
I think I will try to change routines to include a more conscious 'go' 'no-go' for hand position before starting each cut.

The one chip I ever got from a stationary tool was on a BS BTW.
It was one of those cut two hundred parts deals & I was altering technique & daydreaming as I went along. Just a scratch but still....
I try to use a rigid procedure now for all multiple cut runs now- stock held same way, hands/fingers same position etc. This way if I start to balance my check book in the middle of a large parts run I don't run afoul of the blade..

Ole Anderson
12-29-2010, 10:26 PM
I would have to say that a number of us are a bit afraid of the bandsaw as we all know what type of saw a butcher uses for cutting meat and bone. Sometimes it is hard to get that picture out of my mind, but that also makes me extra careful when using the BS. I also lower the blade guard as far as I can every time depending on what thickness wood I am cutting.

John Marshall
12-29-2010, 11:06 PM
Hope you heal quickly Jacques. That is one thing I remember vividly from my high school shop class. One of the dumb ones showed up high and ran his index finger into the bandsaw up to the first knuckle as he looked away. Someone yelled at him and he did not even feel it from what I could tell.